RE: [civilwarwest] Re: Vicksburg, Grant and trapped and shelled Civilians

  • David Wall
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 9 11:27 AM
      Which brings up a question: did Sherman leave a garrison at Atlanta? If so were they ordered to keep civilians out? I guess that was two questions.

      To: civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com
      From: keeno2@...
      Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2008 12:37:25 -0500
      Subject: Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Vicksburg, Grant and trapped and shelled Civilians

      In a message dated 2/9/2008 11:07:07 A.M. Central Standard Time, carlw4514@yahoo. com writes:
      Is "forced relocation" accurate? Presumably these citizens didnt just watch from the sidelines and then just march back in?

      Someone said "eviction." I thought that was accurate. Apparently, when Sherman left, Atlantans did go back.

    • NPeters102@aol.com
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 9 4:47 PM
        In a message dated 2/9/2008 11:09:06 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, keeno2@... writes:
        Sherman did not "burn" Atlanta. What he burned was anything of military value that Hood didn't burn or blow up. Some of that spread to civilian areas. In total, I've read, Sherman's men were responsible for burning 30 percent of the city. That's a goodly chunk, bur it hardly equates to "burning the city."

        And some of the fires were started by the Confederates.

        Respectfully,

        Mike Peters
        npeters102@...

      • Ronald black
        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 9 6:22 PM
          No, Sherman did not leave a garrison at Atlanta.  Thats the point.  He cut his ties with the federal forces in Tennessee, no supply lines, no body could contact him until he got to Savannah.  They did not know where he was.  Hood's campaign after the fall of Atlanra, against Sherman's line of communications between Chattanooga and Atlanta helped Sherman in making his decision to abandon Atlanta.  Another example of how Hood was destroying the western confederate army.
          Ron

          To: civilwarwest@ yahoogroups. com
          From: keeno2@...
          Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2008 12:37:25 -0500

          In a message dated 2/9/2008 11:07:07 A.M. Central Standard Time, carlw4514@yahoo. com writes:
          Is "forced relocation" accurate? Presumably these citizens didnt just watch from the sidelines and then just march back in?

          Someone said "eviction." I thought that was accurate. Apparently, when Sherman left, Atlantans did go back.

          Checked by AVG Free Edition.
        • brainbent
          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 11 8:22 AM
            Actually, Sherman did persue Hood for a while before giving up and
            heading to Savannah.

            He detached Schofield and the Army of the Ohio to assist Thomas in
            dealing with Hood, while he took what was considered the best of his
            fighting force to deal with the boys and old men of the Georgia
            State Guard.

            --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Ronald black" <rblack0981@...>

            Time, carlw4514@... writes:
            > Is "forced relocation" accurate? Presumably these citizens
            didnt just watch from the sidelines and then just march back in?

            > Someone said "eviction." I thought that was accurate.
            Apparently, when Sherman left, Atlantans did go back.

            ---------
            > Who's never won? Biggest Grammy Award surprises of all time on
            AOL Music.

            Date: 2/8/2008 8:12 PM