Re: Vicksburg, Grant and trapped and shelled Civilians

  • Carl Williams
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 9, 2008

      > Hood went in the opposite direction, he wasn't going to feed them
      > either.
      >
      > It was more psychological than logistical.
      >
      > All out war being waged on the South, including civilians.

      in two different situations, that's for sure.

      I guess the way Atlanta was different was that the battle for it was
      over, any siege was over, and the civilians suffered a *forced*
      relocation in addition to Sherman burning the city.
    • keeno2@aol.com
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 9, 2008
        In a message dated 2/9/2008 5:54:43 A.M. Central Standard Time, carlw4514@... writes:
        and the civilians suffered a *forced* relocation in addition to Sherman burning the city.
        Sherman did not "burn" Atlanta. What he burned was anything of military value that Hood didn't burn or blow up. Some of that spread to civilian areas. In total, I've read, Sherman's men were responsible for burning 30 percent of the city. That's a goodly chunk, bur it hardly equates to "burning the city."

      • Carl Williams
        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 9, 2008
          OK, well, a point worth making. 'Sherman burned a chunk of Atlanta'
          might be how I should say it from now on.

          Is "forced relocation" accurate? Presumably these citizens didnt just
          watch from the sidelines and then just march back in?

          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 9, 2008
            In a message dated 2/9/2008 11:07:07 A.M. Central Standard Time, carlw4514@... writes:
            Is "forced relocation" accurate? Presumably these citizens didnt just watch from the sidelines and then just march back in?

            Someone said "eviction." I thought that was accurate. Apparently, when Sherman left, Atlantans did go back.

          • Ricky Washburn
            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 9, 2008
              If sherman only burnt 30% of Atlanta, and thats not burning the city, then maybe the case of Meridian MS. might be an example of burning a city, with only 3 houses left in the city.

              http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
            • keeno2@aol.com
              Message 6 of 25 , Feb 9, 2008
                In a message dated 2/9/2008 11:59:24 A.M. Central Standard Time, rwwiv@... writes:
                If sherman only burnt 30% of Atlanta, and thats not burning the city, then maybe the case of Meridian MS. might be an example of burning a city, with only 3 houses left in the city.
                Good example. THAT's burning a city .... well, a town .... OK, a cluster of homes. Your point?

                ken

              • David Wall
                Message 7 of 25 , Feb 9, 2008
                  Which brings up a question: did Sherman leave a garrison at Atlanta? If so were they ordered to keep civilians out? I guess that was two questions.

                  To: civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com
                  From: keeno2@...
                  Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2008 12:37:25 -0500
                  Subject: Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Vicksburg, Grant and trapped and shelled Civilians

                • NPeters102@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 25 , Feb 9, 2008
                    In a message dated 2/9/2008 11:09:06 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, keeno2@... writes:
                    Sherman did not "burn" Atlanta. What he burned was anything of military value that Hood didn't burn or blow up. Some of that spread to civilian areas. In total, I've read, Sherman's men were responsible for burning 30 percent of the city. That's a goodly chunk, bur it hardly equates to "burning the city."

                    And some of the fires were started by the Confederates.

                    Respectfully,

                    Mike Peters
                    npeters102@...

                  • Ronald black
                    Message 9 of 25 , Feb 9, 2008
                      No, Sherman did not leave a garrison at Atlanta.  Thats the point.  He cut his ties with the federal forces in Tennessee, no supply lines, no body could contact him until he got to Savannah.  They did not know where he was.  Hood's campaign after the fall of Atlanra, against Sherman's line of communications between Chattanooga and Atlanta helped Sherman in making his decision to abandon Atlanta.  Another example of how Hood was destroying the western confederate army.
                      Ron

                      To: civilwarwest@ yahoogroups. com
                      From: keeno2@...
                      Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2008 12:37:25 -0500

                      In a message dated 2/9/2008 11:07:07 A.M. Central Standard Time, carlw4514@yahoo. com writes:
                      Is "forced relocation" accurate? Presumably these citizens didnt just watch from the sidelines and then just march back in?

                      Someone said "eviction." I thought that was accurate. Apparently, when Sherman left, Atlantans did go back.

                      Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                    • brainbent
                      Message 10 of 25 , Feb 11, 2008
                        Actually, Sherman did persue Hood for a while before giving up and
                        heading to Savannah.

                        He detached Schofield and the Army of the Ohio to assist Thomas in
                        dealing with Hood, while he took what was considered the best of his
                        fighting force to deal with the boys and old men of the Georgia
                        State Guard.

                        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Ronald black" <rblack0981@...>

                        Time, carlw4514@... writes:
                        > Is "forced relocation" accurate? Presumably these citizens
                        didnt just watch from the sidelines and then just march back in?

                        > Someone said "eviction." I thought that was accurate.
                        Apparently, when Sherman left, Atlantans did go back.

                        ---------
                        > Who's never won? Biggest Grammy Award surprises of all time on
                        AOL Music.

                        Date: 2/8/2008 8:12 PM