Re: Vicksburg, Grant and trapped and shelled Civilians

  • brainbent
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 8, 2008

      > In a message dated 2/7/2008 3:57:13 P.M. Central Standard Time,
      > pbswan@... writes:
      >
      > Another problem may have been how to feed all of them.
      Certainly, he didn't
      > intend to maintain the supply line from Chattanooga.
      >

      > Excellent point. I didn't think of that! Let them consume Hood's
      rations.
      > Thanks.
      >
      > ken
      >

      > **************Biggest Grammy Award surprises of all time on AOL
      Music.
      > (http://music.aol.com/grammys/pictures/never-won-a-grammy?
      NCID=aolcmp003000000025
      > 48)

      Hood went in the opposite direction, he wasn't going to feed them
      either.

      It was more psychological than logistical.

      All out war being waged on the South, including civilians.
    • Carl Williams
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 9, 2008

        > Hood went in the opposite direction, he wasn't going to feed them
        > either.
        >
        > It was more psychological than logistical.
        >
        > All out war being waged on the South, including civilians.

        in two different situations, that's for sure.

        I guess the way Atlanta was different was that the battle for it was
        over, any siege was over, and the civilians suffered a *forced*
        relocation in addition to Sherman burning the city.
      • keeno2@aol.com
        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 9, 2008
          In a message dated 2/9/2008 5:54:43 A.M. Central Standard Time, carlw4514@... writes:
          and the civilians suffered a *forced* relocation in addition to Sherman burning the city.
          Sherman did not "burn" Atlanta. What he burned was anything of military value that Hood didn't burn or blow up. Some of that spread to civilian areas. In total, I've read, Sherman's men were responsible for burning 30 percent of the city. That's a goodly chunk, bur it hardly equates to "burning the city."

        • Carl Williams
          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 9, 2008
            OK, well, a point worth making. 'Sherman burned a chunk of Atlanta'
            might be how I should say it from now on.

            Is "forced relocation" accurate? Presumably these citizens didnt just
            watch from the sidelines and then just march back in?

            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 9, 2008
              In a message dated 2/9/2008 11:07:07 A.M. Central Standard Time, carlw4514@... writes:
              Is "forced relocation" accurate? Presumably these citizens didnt just watch from the sidelines and then just march back in?

              Someone said "eviction." I thought that was accurate. Apparently, when Sherman left, Atlantans did go back.

            • Ricky Washburn
              Message 6 of 25 , Feb 9, 2008
                If sherman only burnt 30% of Atlanta, and thats not burning the city, then maybe the case of Meridian MS. might be an example of burning a city, with only 3 houses left in the city.

                http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
              • keeno2@aol.com
                Message 7 of 25 , Feb 9, 2008
                  In a message dated 2/9/2008 11:59:24 A.M. Central Standard Time, rwwiv@... writes:
                  If sherman only burnt 30% of Atlanta, and thats not burning the city, then maybe the case of Meridian MS. might be an example of burning a city, with only 3 houses left in the city.
                  Good example. THAT's burning a city .... well, a town .... OK, a cluster of homes. Your point?

                  ken

                • David Wall
                  Message 8 of 25 , Feb 9, 2008
                    Which brings up a question: did Sherman leave a garrison at Atlanta? If so were they ordered to keep civilians out? I guess that was two questions.

                    To: civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com
                    From: keeno2@...
                    Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2008 12:37:25 -0500
                    Subject: Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Vicksburg, Grant and trapped and shelled Civilians

                  • NPeters102@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 25 , Feb 9, 2008
                      In a message dated 2/9/2008 11:09:06 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, keeno2@... writes:
                      Sherman did not "burn" Atlanta. What he burned was anything of military value that Hood didn't burn or blow up. Some of that spread to civilian areas. In total, I've read, Sherman's men were responsible for burning 30 percent of the city. That's a goodly chunk, bur it hardly equates to "burning the city."

                      And some of the fires were started by the Confederates.

                      Respectfully,

                      Mike Peters
                      npeters102@...

                    • Ronald black
                      Message 10 of 25 , Feb 9, 2008
                        No, Sherman did not leave a garrison at Atlanta.  Thats the point.  He cut his ties with the federal forces in Tennessee, no supply lines, no body could contact him until he got to Savannah.  They did not know where he was.  Hood's campaign after the fall of Atlanra, against Sherman's line of communications between Chattanooga and Atlanta helped Sherman in making his decision to abandon Atlanta.  Another example of how Hood was destroying the western confederate army.
                        Ron

                        To: civilwarwest@ yahoogroups. com
                        From: keeno2@...
                        Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2008 12:37:25 -0500

                        In a message dated 2/9/2008 11:07:07 A.M. Central Standard Time, carlw4514@yahoo. com writes:
                        Is "forced relocation" accurate? Presumably these citizens didnt just watch from the sidelines and then just march back in?

                        Someone said "eviction." I thought that was accurate. Apparently, when Sherman left, Atlantans did go back.

                        Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                      • brainbent
                        Message 11 of 25 , Feb 11, 2008
                          Actually, Sherman did persue Hood for a while before giving up and
                          heading to Savannah.

                          He detached Schofield and the Army of the Ohio to assist Thomas in
                          dealing with Hood, while he took what was considered the best of his
                          fighting force to deal with the boys and old men of the Georgia
                          State Guard.

                          --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Ronald black" <rblack0981@...>

                          Time, carlw4514@... writes:
                          > Is "forced relocation" accurate? Presumably these citizens
                          didnt just watch from the sidelines and then just march back in?

                          > Someone said "eviction." I thought that was accurate.
                          Apparently, when Sherman left, Atlantans did go back.

                          ---------
                          > Who's never won? Biggest Grammy Award surprises of all time on
                          AOL Music.

                          Date: 2/8/2008 8:12 PM