Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Vicksburg, Grant and trapped and shelled Civilians

  • keeno2@aol.com
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 7, 2008
      In a message dated 2/7/2008 3:57:13 P.M. Central Standard Time, pbswan@... writes:
      Another problem may have been how to feed all of them.  Certainly, he didn't intend to maintain the supply line from Chattanooga.
      Excellent point. I didn't think of that! Let them consume Hood's rations. Thanks.

      ken

    • brainbent
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 8, 2008

        > In a message dated 2/7/2008 3:57:13 P.M. Central Standard Time,
        > pbswan@... writes:
        >
        > Another problem may have been how to feed all of them.
        Certainly, he didn't
        > intend to maintain the supply line from Chattanooga.
        >

        > Excellent point. I didn't think of that! Let them consume Hood's
        rations.
        > Thanks.
        >
        > ken
        >

        > **************Biggest Grammy Award surprises of all time on AOL
        Music.
        > (http://music.aol.com/grammys/pictures/never-won-a-grammy?
        NCID=aolcmp003000000025
        > 48)

        Hood went in the opposite direction, he wasn't going to feed them
        either.

        It was more psychological than logistical.

        All out war being waged on the South, including civilians.
      • Carl Williams
        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 9, 2008

          > Hood went in the opposite direction, he wasn't going to feed them
          > either.
          >
          > It was more psychological than logistical.
          >
          > All out war being waged on the South, including civilians.

          in two different situations, that's for sure.

          I guess the way Atlanta was different was that the battle for it was
          over, any siege was over, and the civilians suffered a *forced*
          relocation in addition to Sherman burning the city.
        • keeno2@aol.com
          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 9, 2008
            In a message dated 2/9/2008 5:54:43 A.M. Central Standard Time, carlw4514@... writes:
            and the civilians suffered a *forced* relocation in addition to Sherman burning the city.
            Sherman did not "burn" Atlanta. What he burned was anything of military value that Hood didn't burn or blow up. Some of that spread to civilian areas. In total, I've read, Sherman's men were responsible for burning 30 percent of the city. That's a goodly chunk, bur it hardly equates to "burning the city."

          • Carl Williams
            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 9, 2008
              OK, well, a point worth making. 'Sherman burned a chunk of Atlanta'
              might be how I should say it from now on.

              Is "forced relocation" accurate? Presumably these citizens didnt just
              watch from the sidelines and then just march back in?

              Message 6 of 25 , Feb 9, 2008
                In a message dated 2/9/2008 11:07:07 A.M. Central Standard Time, carlw4514@... writes:
                Is "forced relocation" accurate? Presumably these citizens didnt just watch from the sidelines and then just march back in?

                Someone said "eviction." I thought that was accurate. Apparently, when Sherman left, Atlantans did go back.

              • Ricky Washburn
                Message 7 of 25 , Feb 9, 2008
                  If sherman only burnt 30% of Atlanta, and thats not burning the city, then maybe the case of Meridian MS. might be an example of burning a city, with only 3 houses left in the city.

                  http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                • keeno2@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 25 , Feb 9, 2008
                    In a message dated 2/9/2008 11:59:24 A.M. Central Standard Time, rwwiv@... writes:
                    If sherman only burnt 30% of Atlanta, and thats not burning the city, then maybe the case of Meridian MS. might be an example of burning a city, with only 3 houses left in the city.
                    Good example. THAT's burning a city .... well, a town .... OK, a cluster of homes. Your point?

                    ken

                  • David Wall
                    Message 9 of 25 , Feb 9, 2008
                      Which brings up a question: did Sherman leave a garrison at Atlanta? If so were they ordered to keep civilians out? I guess that was two questions.

                      To: civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com
                      From: keeno2@...
                      Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2008 12:37:25 -0500
                      Subject: Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Vicksburg, Grant and trapped and shelled Civilians

                    • NPeters102@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 25 , Feb 9, 2008
                        In a message dated 2/9/2008 11:09:06 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, keeno2@... writes:
                        Sherman did not "burn" Atlanta. What he burned was anything of military value that Hood didn't burn or blow up. Some of that spread to civilian areas. In total, I've read, Sherman's men were responsible for burning 30 percent of the city. That's a goodly chunk, bur it hardly equates to "burning the city."

                        And some of the fires were started by the Confederates.

                        Respectfully,

                        Mike Peters
                        npeters102@...

                      • Ronald black
                        Message 11 of 25 , Feb 9, 2008
                          No, Sherman did not leave a garrison at Atlanta.  Thats the point.  He cut his ties with the federal forces in Tennessee, no supply lines, no body could contact him until he got to Savannah.  They did not know where he was.  Hood's campaign after the fall of Atlanra, against Sherman's line of communications between Chattanooga and Atlanta helped Sherman in making his decision to abandon Atlanta.  Another example of how Hood was destroying the western confederate army.
                          Ron

                          To: civilwarwest@ yahoogroups. com
                          From: keeno2@...
                          Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2008 12:37:25 -0500

                          In a message dated 2/9/2008 11:07:07 A.M. Central Standard Time, carlw4514@yahoo. com writes:
                          Is "forced relocation" accurate? Presumably these citizens didnt just watch from the sidelines and then just march back in?

                          Someone said "eviction." I thought that was accurate. Apparently, when Sherman left, Atlantans did go back.

                          Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                        • brainbent
                          Message 12 of 25 , Feb 11, 2008
                            Actually, Sherman did persue Hood for a while before giving up and
                            heading to Savannah.

                            He detached Schofield and the Army of the Ohio to assist Thomas in
                            dealing with Hood, while he took what was considered the best of his
                            fighting force to deal with the boys and old men of the Georgia
                            State Guard.

                            --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Ronald black" <rblack0981@...>

                            Time, carlw4514@... writes:
                            > Is "forced relocation" accurate? Presumably these citizens
                            didnt just watch from the sidelines and then just march back in?

                            > Someone said "eviction." I thought that was accurate.
                            Apparently, when Sherman left, Atlantans did go back.

                            ---------
                            > Who's never won? Biggest Grammy Award surprises of all time on
                            AOL Music.

                            Date: 2/8/2008 8:12 PM