Re: Vicksburg, Grant and trapped and shelled Civilians

  • brainbent
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 7, 2008

      > I'm thinking they begged him not to *burn the city*, and that was
      what
      > made Sherman say what he did.
      >

      > > On the outskirts of Atlanta, Sherman sent word to city officials
      > > begin civilian evacuation of the city. When the mayor of Atlanta
      and
      > > two city council men begged Sherman not to expel Atlanta's
      populace,
      > > he refused:
      > >
      > > [Sherman said,]"You cannot qualify war in harsher terms than I
      will.
      > > War is cruelty, and you cannot refine it; and those who brought
      war
      > > into our country deserve all the curses and maledictions our
      people
      > > can pour out. ..The only way the people of Atlanta can hope once
      > > more to live in peace and quiet at home, is to stop fighting,
      admit
      > > that you cannot have a division of our country, return to the
      Union,
      > > and acknowledge the authority of the national government." (The
      > > Whirlwind of War, by Stephen Oates, p. 572)
      > > ---
      > > I think evicted would be a better term.

      The mayor begged Sherman not to evict the entire remaining civilian
      population. They were sent down the road with what they could load
      and/or carry.

      There are several communication between Hood and Sherman on this
      topic.

      Not burn - drive out the civilians.
    • keeno2@aol.com
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 7, 2008
        In a message dated 2/7/2008 12:58:11 P.M. Central Standard Time, brainbent@... writes:
        Not burn - drive out the civilians.
        Sherman could be cold. I'm still wrestling with how much of it was punishment and how much of it was that he simply didn't want civilians mixing with his soldiers. Lots of potential trouble from both sides in that situation.

        ken

      • swan_pat_estelle
        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 7, 2008

          > In a message dated 2/7/2008 12:58:11 P.M. Central Standard Time,
          > brainbent@... writes:
          >
          > Not burn - drive out the civilians.
          >

          > Sherman could be cold. I'm still wrestling with how much of it was
          > punishment and how much of it was that he simply didn't want
          civilians mixing with his
          > soldiers. Lots of potential trouble from both sides in that situation.
          >
          > ken

          Another problem may have been how to feed all of them. Certainly, he
          didn't intend to maintain the supply line from Chattanooga.

          > **************Biggest Grammy Award surprises of all time on AOL
          Music.

          > 48)

        • hank9174
          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 7, 2008
            from http://www.civilwarhome.com/atlantaevacuation.htm :

            "My real reasons for this step were, we want all the houses of
            Atlanta for military storage and occupation.

            We want to contract the lines of defenses so as to diminish the
            garrison to the limit necessary to defend its narrow and vital parts
            instead of embracing, as the lines now do, the vast suburbs.

            This contraction of the lines, with the necessary citadels and
            redoubts, will make it necessary to destroy the very houses used by
            families as residences. Atlanta is a fortified town, was stubbornly
            defended and fairly captured.

            As captors we have a right to it.

            The residence here of a poor population would compel us sooner or
            later to feed them or see them starve under our eyes. The residence
            here of the families of our enemies would be a temptation and a means
            to keep up a correspondence dangerous and hurtful to our cause, and a
            civil population calls for provost guards, and absorbs the attention
            of officers in listening to everlasting complaints and special
            grievances that are not military.

            These are my reasons, and if satisfactory to the Government of the
            United States it makes no difference whether it pleases General Hood
            and his people or not."

            HankC
            http://civilwarmissouri.blogspot.com/

            --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "swan_pat_estelle" <pbswan@...>
            wrote:

            > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, keeno2@ wrote:
            > >

            > > In a message dated 2/7/2008 12:58:11 P.M. Central Standard Time,
            > > brainbent@ writes:
            > >
            > > Not burn - drive out the civilians.
            > >

            > > Sherman could be cold. I'm still wrestling with how much of it
            was
            > > punishment and how much of it was that he simply didn't want
            > civilians mixing with his
            > > soldiers. Lots of potential trouble from both sides in that
            situation.

            > > ken
            >
            > Another problem may have been how to feed all of them. Certainly,
            he
            > didn't intend to maintain the supply line from Chattanooga.
            > >

            > > **************Biggest Grammy Award surprises of all time on AOL
            > Music.
            > >
            > (http://music.aol.com/grammys/pictures/never-won-a-grammy?
            NCID=aolcmp003000000025

          • keeno2@aol.com
            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 7, 2008
              In a message dated 2/7/2008 3:57:13 P.M. Central Standard Time, pbswan@... writes:
              Another problem may have been how to feed all of them.  Certainly, he didn't intend to maintain the supply line from Chattanooga.
              Excellent point. I didn't think of that! Let them consume Hood's rations. Thanks.

              ken

            • brainbent
              Message 6 of 25 , Feb 8, 2008

                > In a message dated 2/7/2008 3:57:13 P.M. Central Standard Time,
                > pbswan@... writes:
                >
                > Another problem may have been how to feed all of them.
                Certainly, he didn't
                > intend to maintain the supply line from Chattanooga.
                >

                > Excellent point. I didn't think of that! Let them consume Hood's
                rations.
                > Thanks.
                >
                > ken
                >

                > **************Biggest Grammy Award surprises of all time on AOL
                Music.
                > (http://music.aol.com/grammys/pictures/never-won-a-grammy?
                NCID=aolcmp003000000025
                > 48)

                Hood went in the opposite direction, he wasn't going to feed them
                either.

                It was more psychological than logistical.

                All out war being waged on the South, including civilians.
              • Carl Williams
                Message 7 of 25 , Feb 9, 2008

                  > Hood went in the opposite direction, he wasn't going to feed them
                  > either.
                  >
                  > It was more psychological than logistical.
                  >
                  > All out war being waged on the South, including civilians.

                  in two different situations, that's for sure.

                  I guess the way Atlanta was different was that the battle for it was
                  over, any siege was over, and the civilians suffered a *forced*
                  relocation in addition to Sherman burning the city.
                • keeno2@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 25 , Feb 9, 2008
                    In a message dated 2/9/2008 5:54:43 A.M. Central Standard Time, carlw4514@... writes:
                    and the civilians suffered a *forced* relocation in addition to Sherman burning the city.
                    Sherman did not "burn" Atlanta. What he burned was anything of military value that Hood didn't burn or blow up. Some of that spread to civilian areas. In total, I've read, Sherman's men were responsible for burning 30 percent of the city. That's a goodly chunk, bur it hardly equates to "burning the city."

                  • Carl Williams
                    Message 9 of 25 , Feb 9, 2008
                      OK, well, a point worth making. 'Sherman burned a chunk of Atlanta'
                      might be how I should say it from now on.

                      Is "forced relocation" accurate? Presumably these citizens didnt just
                      watch from the sidelines and then just march back in?

                      Message 10 of 25 , Feb 9, 2008
                        In a message dated 2/9/2008 11:07:07 A.M. Central Standard Time, carlw4514@... writes:
                        Is "forced relocation" accurate? Presumably these citizens didnt just watch from the sidelines and then just march back in?

                        Someone said "eviction." I thought that was accurate. Apparently, when Sherman left, Atlantans did go back.

                      • Ricky Washburn
                        Message 11 of 25 , Feb 9, 2008
                          If sherman only burnt 30% of Atlanta, and thats not burning the city, then maybe the case of Meridian MS. might be an example of burning a city, with only 3 houses left in the city.

                          http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                        • keeno2@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 25 , Feb 9, 2008
                            In a message dated 2/9/2008 11:59:24 A.M. Central Standard Time, rwwiv@... writes:
                            If sherman only burnt 30% of Atlanta, and thats not burning the city, then maybe the case of Meridian MS. might be an example of burning a city, with only 3 houses left in the city.
                            Good example. THAT's burning a city .... well, a town .... OK, a cluster of homes. Your point?

                            ken

                          • David Wall
                            Message 13 of 25 , Feb 9, 2008
                              Which brings up a question: did Sherman leave a garrison at Atlanta? If so were they ordered to keep civilians out? I guess that was two questions.

                              To: civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com
                              From: keeno2@...
                              Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2008 12:37:25 -0500
                              Subject: Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Vicksburg, Grant and trapped and shelled Civilians

                            • NPeters102@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 25 , Feb 9, 2008
                                In a message dated 2/9/2008 11:09:06 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, keeno2@... writes:
                                Sherman did not "burn" Atlanta. What he burned was anything of military value that Hood didn't burn or blow up. Some of that spread to civilian areas. In total, I've read, Sherman's men were responsible for burning 30 percent of the city. That's a goodly chunk, bur it hardly equates to "burning the city."

                                And some of the fires were started by the Confederates.

                                Respectfully,

                                Mike Peters
                                npeters102@...

                              • Ronald black
                                Message 15 of 25 , Feb 9, 2008
                                  No, Sherman did not leave a garrison at Atlanta.  Thats the point.  He cut his ties with the federal forces in Tennessee, no supply lines, no body could contact him until he got to Savannah.  They did not know where he was.  Hood's campaign after the fall of Atlanra, against Sherman's line of communications between Chattanooga and Atlanta helped Sherman in making his decision to abandon Atlanta.  Another example of how Hood was destroying the western confederate army.
                                  Ron

                                  To: civilwarwest@ yahoogroups. com
                                  From: keeno2@...
                                  Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2008 12:37:25 -0500

                                  In a message dated 2/9/2008 11:07:07 A.M. Central Standard Time, carlw4514@yahoo. com writes:
                                  Is "forced relocation" accurate? Presumably these citizens didnt just watch from the sidelines and then just march back in?

                                  Someone said "eviction." I thought that was accurate. Apparently, when Sherman left, Atlantans did go back.

                                  Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                                • brainbent
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Feb 11, 2008
                                    Actually, Sherman did persue Hood for a while before giving up and
                                    heading to Savannah.

                                    He detached Schofield and the Army of the Ohio to assist Thomas in
                                    dealing with Hood, while he took what was considered the best of his
                                    fighting force to deal with the boys and old men of the Georgia
                                    State Guard.

                                    --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Ronald black" <rblack0981@...>

                                    Time, carlw4514@... writes:
                                    > Is "forced relocation" accurate? Presumably these citizens
                                    didnt just watch from the sidelines and then just march back in?

                                    > Someone said "eviction." I thought that was accurate.
                                    Apparently, when Sherman left, Atlantans did go back.

                                    ---------
                                    > Who's never won? Biggest Grammy Award surprises of all time on
                                    AOL Music.

                                    Date: 2/8/2008 8:12 PM