Re: Vicksburg, Grant and trapped and shelled Civilians

  • brainbent
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 6, 2008
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "hank9174" <clarkc@...> wrote:

      > I do not know all the details but that never stopped me ;)
      >
      > Every person leaving Vicksburg is a potential courier to Johnston.
      > Anyone (civilian, disguised soldier, woman or child) may carry
      verbal
      > messages in an attempt to synchronize a breakout attack with
      relief.
      > Grant's position is still a precarious one. He has Vicksburg
      > surrounded, but he is surrounded as well.
      >
      > Sherman's strategic position at Atlanta is much the stronger than
      > Grant's at Vicksburg. Hood has no nearby relief force. In fact,
      Hood is
      > never completely surrounded; even though he is besieged, exits
      exist
      > for civilians. As far as I know, only Scarlett O'Hara uses one...
      >

      > HankC
      >
      > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Carl Williams" <carlw4514@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Trying to answer this myself without knowing a lot about it,
      seems to
      > > be the case that Grant did not offer to let the citizens leave
      > > Vicksburg in the siege. The following account from Shotgun's site
      > > seems to just assume we knew that. Not much of a hint that it was
      > > controversial, although I believe it is the case that Sherman
      allowed
      > > Atlanta to evacuate.
      > >
      > > http://civilwarhome.com/insidevicksburg.htm

      "Allowed Atlanta to evacuate."?

      "..only Scarlett O'Hara.."?

      On the outskirts of Atlanta, Sherman sent word to city officials to
      begin civilian evacuation of the city. When the mayor of Atlanta and
      two city council men begged Sherman not to expel Atlanta's populace,
      he refused:

      [Sherman said,]"You cannot qualify war in harsher terms than I will.
      War is cruelty, and you cannot refine it; and those who brought war
      into our country deserve all the curses and maledictions our people
      can pour out. ..The only way the people of Atlanta can hope once
      more to live in peace and quiet at home, is to stop fighting, admit
      that you cannot have a division of our country, return to the Union,
      and acknowledge the authority of the national government." (The
      Whirlwind of War, by Stephen Oates, p. 572)
      ---
      I think evicted would be a better term.
    • swan_pat_estelle
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 6, 2008
        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "brainbent" <brainbent@...> wrote:

        > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "hank9174" <clarkc@> wrote:
        > >

        > > I do not know all the details but that never stopped me ;)
        > >
        > > Every person leaving Vicksburg is a potential courier to Johnston.
        > > Anyone (civilian, disguised soldier, woman or child) may carry
        > verbal
        > > messages in an attempt to synchronize a breakout attack with
        > relief.
        > > Grant's position is still a precarious one. He has Vicksburg
        > > surrounded, but he is surrounded as well.
        > >
        > > Sherman's strategic position at Atlanta is much the stronger than
        > > Grant's at Vicksburg. Hood has no nearby relief force. In fact,
        > Hood is
        > > never completely surrounded; even though he is besieged, exits
        > exist
        > > for civilians. As far as I know, only Scarlett O'Hara uses one...
        > >

        > > HankC
        > >
        > > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Carl Williams" <carlw4514@>
        > > wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Trying to answer this myself without knowing a lot about it,
        > seems to
        > > > be the case that Grant did not offer to let the citizens leave
        > > > Vicksburg in the siege. The following account from Shotgun's site
        > > > seems to just assume we knew that. Not much of a hint that it was
        > > > controversial, although I believe it is the case that Sherman
        > allowed
        > > > Atlanta to evacuate.
        > > >
        > > > http://civilwarhome.com/insidevicksburg.htm
        > > >

        > "Allowed Atlanta to evacuate."?
        >
        > "..only Scarlett O'Hara.."?
        >
        > On the outskirts of Atlanta, Sherman sent word to city officials to
        > begin civilian evacuation of the city. When the mayor of Atlanta and
        > two city council men begged Sherman not to expel Atlanta's populace,
        > he refused:
        >
        > [Sherman said,]"You cannot qualify war in harsher terms than I will.
        > War is cruelty, and you cannot refine it; and those who brought war
        > into our country deserve all the curses and maledictions our people
        > can pour out. ..The only way the people of Atlanta can hope once
        > more to live in peace and quiet at home, is to stop fighting, admit
        > that you cannot have a division of our country, return to the Union,
        > and acknowledge the authority of the national government." (The
        > Whirlwind of War, by Stephen Oates, p. 572)
        > ---
        > I think evicted would be a better term.

        On September 14, 1864 Sherman wrote to Hood:
        [Quote]: I was not bound by the laws of war to give notice of the
        shelling of Atlanta, a "fortified town, with magazines, arsenals,
        founderies, and public stores;" you were bound to take notice. See
        the gooks. [end of Quote]

        Sherman was apparently quoting from some source that stated the "laws
        of war." Evidently those "laws" treated "fortified cities" differently
        from those that were not fortified, etc.

      • swan_pat_estelle
        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 6, 2008
          --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "swan_pat_estelle" <pbswan@...>
          wrote:

          > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "brainbent" <brainbent@> wrote:
          > >
          > > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "hank9174" <clarkc@> wrote:
          > > >

          > > > I do not know all the details but that never stopped me ;)
          > > >
          > > > Every person leaving Vicksburg is a potential courier to Johnston.
          > > > Anyone (civilian, disguised soldier, woman or child) may carry
          > > verbal
          > > > messages in an attempt to synchronize a breakout attack with
          > > relief.
          > > > Grant's position is still a precarious one. He has Vicksburg
          > > > surrounded, but he is surrounded as well.
          > > >
          > > > Sherman's strategic position at Atlanta is much the stronger than
          > > > Grant's at Vicksburg. Hood has no nearby relief force. In fact,
          > > Hood is
          > > > never completely surrounded; even though he is besieged, exits
          > > exist
          > > > for civilians. As far as I know, only Scarlett O'Hara uses one...
          > > >

          > > > HankC
          > > >
          > > > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Carl Williams" <carlw4514@>

          > > seems to
          > > allowed

          > > "Allowed Atlanta to evacuate."?
          > >
          > > "..only Scarlett O'Hara.."?
          > >
          > > On the outskirts of Atlanta, Sherman sent word to city officials to
          > > begin civilian evacuation of the city. When the mayor of Atlanta and
          > > two city council men begged Sherman not to expel Atlanta's populace,
          > > he refused:
          > >
          > > [Sherman said,]"You cannot qualify war in harsher terms than I will.
          > > War is cruelty, and you cannot refine it; and those who brought war
          > > into our country deserve all the curses and maledictions our people
          > > can pour out. ..The only way the people of Atlanta can hope once
          > > more to live in peace and quiet at home, is to stop fighting, admit
          > > that you cannot have a division of our country, return to the Union,
          > > and acknowledge the authority of the national government." (The
          > > Whirlwind of War, by Stephen Oates, p. 572)
          > > ---
          > > I think evicted would be a better term.
          >
          > On September 14, 1864 Sherman wrote to Hood:
          > [Quote]: I was not bound by the laws of war to give notice of the
          > shelling of Atlanta, a "fortified town, with magazines, arsenals,
          > founderies, and public stores;" you were bound to take notice. See
          > the gooks. [end of Quote]
          >
          > Sherman was apparently quoting from some source that stated the "laws
          > of war." Evidently those "laws" treated "fortified cities" differently
          > from those that were not fortified, etc.
          > >
          >Oops! He said "See the Books, not gooks!!
        • Doug Newman
          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 6, 2008

            > Trying to answer this myself without knowing a lot about it, seems
            > be the case that Grant did not offer to let the citizens leave
            > Vicksburg in the siege. The following account from Shotgun's site
            > seems to just assume we knew that. Not much of a hint that it was
            > controversial, although I believe it is the case that Sherman
            allowed
            > Atlanta to evacuate.
            >
            > http://civilwarhome.com/insidevicksburg.htm

            I recently finished some research concerning Vicksburg and the siege -
            My sources suggest that based on church funeral and "funeral home"
            records a total of roughly 12 - one dozen - civilians died as a
            result of the bombardment.

            I was astonished and had thought the total would be much higher. It
            appears that the 19th century bomb shelters - .e.e. caves were very
            effective. It's true conditioners were horrible - one diarist noted
            that Union gunners stopped shelling three times a day to eat - The
            Vicksburg residents cooked and ate at these times. This person also
            notes that there was no time for anything else - such as laundry.
            Union soldiers also complained about the need to bath and longed for
            the day when they could use the river to bath.

            For those people who haven't yet visited Vicksburg, I suggest it's
            well worth the time and money. Reading Grant's Memoirs - at least
            the parts concerning Vicksburg will help with prospective. Like all
            Civil War battlefields, the intervening time - about 145 years takes
            it toll the topography.

            A final note - When in Vicksburg - be sure to check out the Old Court
            House AND Anchuca House (Town home of Joseph Davis - Jeff Davis'
            brother) It's an excellent Bed and Breakfast. Also, if the
            accomodations are too spendy, Anchuca House operates an first rate
            resturant.
          • Carl Williams
            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 6, 2008
              I have to tell you I got my best laugh of the day out of this one!

              Message 6 of 25 , Feb 6, 2008
                I'm thinking they begged him not to *burn the city*, and that was what
                made Sherman say what he did.

                Message 7 of 25 , Feb 7, 2008

                  > I'm thinking they begged him not to *burn the city*, and that was
                  what
                  > made Sherman say what he did.
                  >

                  > > On the outskirts of Atlanta, Sherman sent word to city officials
                  > > begin civilian evacuation of the city. When the mayor of Atlanta
                  and
                  > > two city council men begged Sherman not to expel Atlanta's
                  populace,
                  > > he refused:
                  > >
                  > > [Sherman said,]"You cannot qualify war in harsher terms than I
                  will.
                  > > War is cruelty, and you cannot refine it; and those who brought
                  war
                  > > into our country deserve all the curses and maledictions our
                  people
                  > > can pour out. ..The only way the people of Atlanta can hope once
                  > > more to live in peace and quiet at home, is to stop fighting,
                  admit
                  > > that you cannot have a division of our country, return to the
                  Union,
                  > > and acknowledge the authority of the national government." (The
                  > > Whirlwind of War, by Stephen Oates, p. 572)
                  > > ---
                  > > I think evicted would be a better term.

                  The mayor begged Sherman not to evict the entire remaining civilian
                  population. They were sent down the road with what they could load
                  and/or carry.

                  There are several communication between Hood and Sherman on this
                  topic.

                  Not burn - drive out the civilians.
                • keeno2@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 25 , Feb 7, 2008
                    In a message dated 2/7/2008 12:58:11 P.M. Central Standard Time, brainbent@... writes:
                    Not burn - drive out the civilians.
                    Sherman could be cold. I'm still wrestling with how much of it was punishment and how much of it was that he simply didn't want civilians mixing with his soldiers. Lots of potential trouble from both sides in that situation.

                    ken

                  • swan_pat_estelle
                    Message 9 of 25 , Feb 7, 2008

                      > In a message dated 2/7/2008 12:58:11 P.M. Central Standard Time,
                      > brainbent@... writes:
                      >
                      > Not burn - drive out the civilians.
                      >

                      > Sherman could be cold. I'm still wrestling with how much of it was
                      > punishment and how much of it was that he simply didn't want
                      civilians mixing with his
                      > soldiers. Lots of potential trouble from both sides in that situation.
                      >
                      > ken

                      Another problem may have been how to feed all of them. Certainly, he
                      didn't intend to maintain the supply line from Chattanooga.

                      > **************Biggest Grammy Award surprises of all time on AOL
                      Music.

                      > 48)

                    • hank9174
                      Message 10 of 25 , Feb 7, 2008
                        from http://www.civilwarhome.com/atlantaevacuation.htm :

                        "My real reasons for this step were, we want all the houses of
                        Atlanta for military storage and occupation.

                        We want to contract the lines of defenses so as to diminish the
                        garrison to the limit necessary to defend its narrow and vital parts
                        instead of embracing, as the lines now do, the vast suburbs.

                        This contraction of the lines, with the necessary citadels and
                        redoubts, will make it necessary to destroy the very houses used by
                        families as residences. Atlanta is a fortified town, was stubbornly
                        defended and fairly captured.

                        As captors we have a right to it.

                        The residence here of a poor population would compel us sooner or
                        later to feed them or see them starve under our eyes. The residence
                        here of the families of our enemies would be a temptation and a means
                        to keep up a correspondence dangerous and hurtful to our cause, and a
                        civil population calls for provost guards, and absorbs the attention
                        of officers in listening to everlasting complaints and special
                        grievances that are not military.

                        These are my reasons, and if satisfactory to the Government of the
                        United States it makes no difference whether it pleases General Hood
                        and his people or not."

                        HankC
                        http://civilwarmissouri.blogspot.com/

                        wrote:

                        > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, keeno2@ wrote:
                        > >

                        > > In a message dated 2/7/2008 12:58:11 P.M. Central Standard Time,
                        > > brainbent@ writes:
                        > >
                        > > Not burn - drive out the civilians.
                        > >

                        > > Sherman could be cold. I'm still wrestling with how much of it
                        was
                        > > punishment and how much of it was that he simply didn't want
                        > civilians mixing with his
                        > > soldiers. Lots of potential trouble from both sides in that
                        situation.

                        > > ken
                        >
                        > Another problem may have been how to feed all of them. Certainly,
                        he
                        > didn't intend to maintain the supply line from Chattanooga.
                        > >

                        > > **************Biggest Grammy Award surprises of all time on AOL
                        > Music.
                        > >
                        > (http://music.aol.com/grammys/pictures/never-won-a-grammy?
                        NCID=aolcmp003000000025

                      • keeno2@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 25 , Feb 7, 2008
                          In a message dated 2/7/2008 3:57:13 P.M. Central Standard Time, pbswan@... writes:
                          Another problem may have been how to feed all of them.  Certainly, he didn't intend to maintain the supply line from Chattanooga.
                          Excellent point. I didn't think of that! Let them consume Hood's rations. Thanks.

                          ken

                        • brainbent
                          Message 12 of 25 , Feb 8, 2008

                            > In a message dated 2/7/2008 3:57:13 P.M. Central Standard Time,
                            > pbswan@... writes:
                            >
                            > Another problem may have been how to feed all of them.
                            Certainly, he didn't
                            > intend to maintain the supply line from Chattanooga.
                            >

                            > Excellent point. I didn't think of that! Let them consume Hood's
                            rations.
                            > Thanks.
                            >
                            > ken
                            >

                            > **************Biggest Grammy Award surprises of all time on AOL
                            Music.
                            > (http://music.aol.com/grammys/pictures/never-won-a-grammy?
                            NCID=aolcmp003000000025
                            > 48)

                            Hood went in the opposite direction, he wasn't going to feed them
                            either.

                            It was more psychological than logistical.

                            All out war being waged on the South, including civilians.
                          • Carl Williams
                            Message 13 of 25 , Feb 9, 2008

                              > Hood went in the opposite direction, he wasn't going to feed them
                              > either.
                              >
                              > It was more psychological than logistical.
                              >
                              > All out war being waged on the South, including civilians.

                              in two different situations, that's for sure.

                              I guess the way Atlanta was different was that the battle for it was
                              over, any siege was over, and the civilians suffered a *forced*
                              relocation in addition to Sherman burning the city.
                            • keeno2@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 25 , Feb 9, 2008
                                In a message dated 2/9/2008 5:54:43 A.M. Central Standard Time, carlw4514@... writes:
                                and the civilians suffered a *forced* relocation in addition to Sherman burning the city.
                                Sherman did not "burn" Atlanta. What he burned was anything of military value that Hood didn't burn or blow up. Some of that spread to civilian areas. In total, I've read, Sherman's men were responsible for burning 30 percent of the city. That's a goodly chunk, bur it hardly equates to "burning the city."

                              • Carl Williams
                                Message 15 of 25 , Feb 9, 2008
                                  OK, well, a point worth making. 'Sherman burned a chunk of Atlanta'
                                  might be how I should say it from now on.

                                  Is "forced relocation" accurate? Presumably these citizens didnt just
                                  watch from the sidelines and then just march back in?

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Feb 9, 2008
                                    In a message dated 2/9/2008 11:07:07 A.M. Central Standard Time, carlw4514@... writes:
                                    Is "forced relocation" accurate? Presumably these citizens didnt just watch from the sidelines and then just march back in?

                                    Someone said "eviction." I thought that was accurate. Apparently, when Sherman left, Atlantans did go back.

                                  • Ricky Washburn
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Feb 9, 2008
                                      If sherman only burnt 30% of Atlanta, and thats not burning the city, then maybe the case of Meridian MS. might be an example of burning a city, with only 3 houses left in the city.

                                      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                                    • keeno2@aol.com
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Feb 9, 2008
                                        In a message dated 2/9/2008 11:59:24 A.M. Central Standard Time, rwwiv@... writes:
                                        If sherman only burnt 30% of Atlanta, and thats not burning the city, then maybe the case of Meridian MS. might be an example of burning a city, with only 3 houses left in the city.
                                        Good example. THAT's burning a city .... well, a town .... OK, a cluster of homes. Your point?

                                        ken

                                      • David Wall
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Feb 9, 2008
                                          Which brings up a question: did Sherman leave a garrison at Atlanta? If so were they ordered to keep civilians out? I guess that was two questions.

                                          To: civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com
                                          From: keeno2@...
                                          Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2008 12:37:25 -0500
                                          Subject: Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Vicksburg, Grant and trapped and shelled Civilians

                                        • NPeters102@aol.com
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Feb 9, 2008
                                            In a message dated 2/9/2008 11:09:06 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, keeno2@... writes:
                                            Sherman did not "burn" Atlanta. What he burned was anything of military value that Hood didn't burn or blow up. Some of that spread to civilian areas. In total, I've read, Sherman's men were responsible for burning 30 percent of the city. That's a goodly chunk, bur it hardly equates to "burning the city."

                                            And some of the fires were started by the Confederates.

                                            Respectfully,

                                            Mike Peters
                                            npeters102@...

                                          • Ronald black
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Feb 9, 2008
                                              No, Sherman did not leave a garrison at Atlanta.  Thats the point.  He cut his ties with the federal forces in Tennessee, no supply lines, no body could contact him until he got to Savannah.  They did not know where he was.  Hood's campaign after the fall of Atlanra, against Sherman's line of communications between Chattanooga and Atlanta helped Sherman in making his decision to abandon Atlanta.  Another example of how Hood was destroying the western confederate army.
                                              Ron

                                              To: civilwarwest@ yahoogroups. com
                                              From: keeno2@...
                                              Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2008 12:37:25 -0500

                                              In a message dated 2/9/2008 11:07:07 A.M. Central Standard Time, carlw4514@yahoo. com writes:
                                              Is "forced relocation" accurate? Presumably these citizens didnt just watch from the sidelines and then just march back in?

                                              Someone said "eviction." I thought that was accurate. Apparently, when Sherman left, Atlantans did go back.

                                              Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                                            • brainbent
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Feb 11, 2008
                                                Actually, Sherman did persue Hood for a while before giving up and
                                                heading to Savannah.

                                                He detached Schofield and the Army of the Ohio to assist Thomas in
                                                dealing with Hood, while he took what was considered the best of his
                                                fighting force to deal with the boys and old men of the Georgia
                                                State Guard.

                                                --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Ronald black" <rblack0981@...>

                                                Time, carlw4514@... writes:
                                                > Is "forced relocation" accurate? Presumably these citizens
                                                didnt just watch from the sidelines and then just march back in?

                                                > Someone said "eviction." I thought that was accurate.
                                                Apparently, when Sherman left, Atlantans did go back.

                                                ---------
                                                > Who's never won? Biggest Grammy Award surprises of all time on
                                                AOL Music.

                                                Date: 2/8/2008 8:12 PM