PLEASE REMOVE

  • Alan Doyle
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 5, 2008

      hank9174 wrote:

      I do not know all the details but that never stopped me ;)

      Every person leaving Vicksburg is a potential courier to Johnston.
      Anyone (civilian, disguised soldier, woman or child) may carry verbal
      messages in an attempt to synchronize a breakout attack with relief.
      Grant's position is still a precarious one. He has Vicksburg
      surrounded, but he is surrounded as well.

      Sherman's strategic position at Atlanta is much the stronger than
      Grant's at Vicksburg. Hood has no nearby relief force. In fact, Hood is
      never completely surrounded; even though he is besieged, exits exist
      for civilians. As far as I know, only Scarlett O'Hara uses one...

      HankC

      --- In civilwarwest@ yahoogroups. com, "Carl Williams" <carlw4514@. ..>