Re: Shelling Cities ; the Swamp Angel

  • Carl Williams
    Message 1 of 66 , Feb 1, 2008
      I was hoping some one could shed some light on this; someone is right
      and someone is wrong. Either Grant allowed civilians to come out or he
      made them stay in and shelled them.

      > Civilians were not allowed passage out of Vicksburg by Grant - their
      > misery and starvation was a tool in the process of wearing down the
      > army.

    • hank9174
      Message 66 of 66 , Feb 4, 2008
        I am interested as well.

        Those purporting to be civilians exiting the city would have to be
        interned and provided for as long as the siege lasts. This prevents
        them from transmitting any intelligence they glean. This could become
        quite burdensome and weighed against the potential of civilan
        casualties.

        HankC