Re: [civilwarwest] Big Dogs

  • CashG79@aol.com
    Message 1 of 127 , Jun 1, 2001
      In a message dated Fri, 1 Jun 2001 10:44:55 AM Eastern Daylight Time, "kamills" <kamills@...> writes:

      I still think time is the greatest thing in the Union's favor.
      ------------------

      Andy,

      I think it was George C. Marshall who once said that democracies can't fight a war longer than 5 or 6 years. If that's the case, time was on the side of the Confederates as long as they could keep their armies active. For a long time, Lincoln was convinced he would lose the 1864 election, and it was Sherman's capture of Savannah (well after Hood had replaced Johnston) that sealed the deal for him. Imagine Joe Johnston in front of Sherman, delaying him all the way, making him take casualties and counterattacking at Sherman's weak points. Lincoln loses in 1864, McClellan becomes president and the south gains its independence. That's a definite possibility.

      Regards,
      Cash
    • Bob Huddleston
      Message 127 of 127 , Jul 7, 2001
        I would second Carl. Grandpa's knee is a wonderful place to learn to
        love history but often a terrible place to learn accurate history.

        I do not recall any mention of anyone telling Scott how to run a war.
        And he was an experienced general -- I doubt that anyone needed to give
        him ideas about how to run a war.

        There were similar claims for a Marylander named Anna Carroll (? I may
        have the name wrong) who claimed that she gave Lincoln the idea for the
        Tennessee/Cumberland Campaign.

        But some things are so obvious -- John Sherman recalled going to visit
        his brother early in the war and finding Cump and Thomas crawling around
        on the floor on a huge map of the United States, "talking shop" about
        how *they* would defeat the Rebels. As the senator remembered the story,
        his brother and Thomas basically outlined the way the war turned out.

        The secret was not in figuring out the strategy, but in finding the man
        or men who would be able to carry out the plan. It took a while but
        Grant, Sherman, Thomas, Sheridan and a few others, Lincoln finally found
        the men who imposed their will on the armies.

        Take care,

        Bob

        Judy and Bob Huddleston
        10643 Sperry Street
        Northglenn, CO 80234-3612
        303.451.6276 Adco@...

        Hello addison, please do share that. I'll caution you, tho', that
        family traditions are a bit touchy, you know, everyone in the family
        cherishes them and all; but sometimes they are a bit hard to confirm.
        Carl aka Unre, etc

        --- In civilwarwest@y..., jaaah@t... wrote:
        > Well, if this isn't too late, I want too add something.
        >
        > Family history records that we are related to the Scotts, and that
        my Great Great Grandmother was the one to actually give General Scott
        the idea for the 'Anaconda Plan'. My Grandfather has the full
        details, but from what I remember, she was at a dinner party with
        him, and he was telling her about the plans for the war against the
        Confederacy. She then asked "well why don't you just cut them off
        from everything?" When he asked what she meant, she gave him the
        basic idea for what became the 'Anaconda Plan.' If you want the full
        details, my Grandfather has them all!