Re: [civilwarwest] Big Dogs

  • CashG79@aol.com
    Message 1 of 127 , Jun 1, 2001
      In a message dated Fri, 1 Jun 2001 10:02:48 AM Eastern Daylight Time, "kamills" <kamills@...> writes:

      The Confederate army, whether it be in the East or West could not sustain themselves for long.

      (snip)

      For every acre of land of the federals occupied, that was one less acre of food and supplies for the
      Confederate army. They simply could not allow the Union to overrun the entire Confederacy in order to sustain an army.
      -------------------------

      Andy,

      Your point about supplies is a good one, but it assumes the Federals would have remained in control of all that area once they conquered it. They could only do this if there was not a Confederate army to oppose them, as Hood's blundering ensured.

      Once again, though, as the Federals conquered territory they had to protect that territory. The detachment of troops to do that would progressively weaken the Union forces to the point where the Confederates could achieve local superiority of forces for an attack. This is what Johnston would have done. He would have taken the Federals on bit by bit, achieving local superiority and attacking them at their weak points.

      I think we have to realize that by 1864 there was little to no hope of foreign recognition and assistance for the confederacy. The Emancipation Proclamation and diplomacy by Charles F. Adams and the Lincoln Administration took care of this.

      Hood's second mistake was leaving Sherman's army alone and heading into Tennessee. Without a Confederate force to worry about, Sherman didn't need to detach troops along the way. He could remain concentrated, and he didn't have to fear an attack while he was on the march. Because he was on the move, unopposed, he could live off the land. If he had an army opposing him, in entrenched positions, he would have quickly used up the supplies in one area and would have been forced to rely on a supply line that was vulnerable to attack. Also, the Confederate army in front of him would also be using up local supplies, further reducing what was available to Sherman's troops and placing even more reliance on vulnerable supply lines. This would force Sherman to further detach troops to protect that supply line, weakening him progressively the farther he advanced, eventually leaving him vulnerable to attack on his main army.

      Regards,
      Cash
    • Bob Huddleston
      Message 127 of 127 , Jul 7, 2001
        I would second Carl. Grandpa's knee is a wonderful place to learn to
        love history but often a terrible place to learn accurate history.

        I do not recall any mention of anyone telling Scott how to run a war.
        And he was an experienced general -- I doubt that anyone needed to give
        him ideas about how to run a war.

        There were similar claims for a Marylander named Anna Carroll (? I may
        have the name wrong) who claimed that she gave Lincoln the idea for the
        Tennessee/Cumberland Campaign.

        But some things are so obvious -- John Sherman recalled going to visit
        his brother early in the war and finding Cump and Thomas crawling around
        on the floor on a huge map of the United States, "talking shop" about
        how *they* would defeat the Rebels. As the senator remembered the story,
        his brother and Thomas basically outlined the way the war turned out.

        The secret was not in figuring out the strategy, but in finding the man
        or men who would be able to carry out the plan. It took a while but
        Grant, Sherman, Thomas, Sheridan and a few others, Lincoln finally found
        the men who imposed their will on the armies.

        Take care,

        Bob

        Judy and Bob Huddleston
        10643 Sperry Street
        Northglenn, CO 80234-3612
        303.451.6276 Adco@...

        Hello addison, please do share that. I'll caution you, tho', that
        family traditions are a bit touchy, you know, everyone in the family
        cherishes them and all; but sometimes they are a bit hard to confirm.
        Carl aka Unre, etc

        --- In civilwarwest@y..., jaaah@t... wrote:
        > Well, if this isn't too late, I want too add something.
        >
        > Family history records that we are related to the Scotts, and that
        my Great Great Grandmother was the one to actually give General Scott
        the idea for the 'Anaconda Plan'. My Grandfather has the full
        details, but from what I remember, she was at a dinner party with
        him, and he was telling her about the plans for the war against the
        Confederacy. She then asked "well why don't you just cut them off
        from everything?" When he asked what she meant, she gave him the
        basic idea for what became the 'Anaconda Plan.' If you want the full
        details, my Grandfather has them all!