New member; thoughts on General Grant

  • packertalk
    Message 1 of 66 , Jan 24, 2008
      Hello all,

      My name is John, and I live in Wisconsin and this is the first time
      I've been involved in a discussion group :) Over the last couple
      years I've developed a keen interest in our nation's civil war. I had
      two GGG grandfathers who were in the 25th Wisconsin Infantry and
      several other relatives who fought for the Union (including a
      Congressional Medal of Honor winner). Being a published writer, I
      intend to one day pen a Civil War novel which will revolve around the
      Western Theatre of the war--but enough about that :) For my first
      ever post I'd like to get some opinions on Ulysses S. Grant. Whenever
      the subject of General Grant comes up in conversations with non-Civil
      War buffs (which happens to me more than you'd think) I always get
      basically the same response: Grant was a drunk, chain smoking butcher
      who saw success in the war only because he was heartless enough to
      send thousands of soldiers to their deaths to accomplish his
      objective. Of course this summary rankles me a bit because I feel it
      is way out of whack (except maybe for the smoking part). I'm of the
      opinion that Grant is one of the most misunderstood and under
      appreciated figures in American History. My problem is that I've
      never gotten an opinion on the General from anybody who is
      knowledgeable on the Civil War. I'd love to hear what people with a
      genuine interest in the war think about General Grant. Looking
      forward to any replies :)
    • hank9174
      Message 66 of 66 , Feb 4, 2008
        I am interested as well.

        Those purporting to be civilians exiting the city would have to be
        interned and provided for as long as the siege lasts. This prevents
        them from transmitting any intelligence they glean. This could become
        quite burdensome and weighed against the potential of civilan
        casualties.

        HankC