Re: The viability of Attack in the West versus the East

  • William H Keene
    Message 1 of 109 , Jan 1, 2008
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "raymondohara" <raymond-
      ohara@...> wrote:

      > > > CSA was able to contest were jackson and vicksburg.
      > >
      > > Some people here seem to think about actual historical facts like
      > > 1. the confederates built defensive lines around Corninth
      > > 2. the confederates did not leave right away when the US
      approached
      > > but first tried to fight
      >

      > tried to fight??? if they tried to fight why did they flee before
      the
      > shooting started.

      There was shooting before they retreated.

      > > 3. the confederates did not go to Jackson from Corninth, but went
      > > Tupelo where Bragg took over and moved most of the army to
      > Chattanooga
      >
      > and they aandoned tupelo at the approach of the union.

      Not so.

      > bragg went to chat because buell was deteached back towards middle
      > tennesee

      Whew, finally something accurate.

      > > 4. Van Dorn and Price continued to operate in northern
      Mississippi
      > > for about 5 months
      >

      > and neither were part of the AoT nor were they involved in the
      campaign

      They were both at Corinth when Halleck advanced ahgainst it.

      > price was the army of the trans miss and came across the river and
      > iuks was 5 months and corinth was 6 months after shiloh and both
      were
      > after the CSA had reached jackson.

      They both arrived at Corinth right after Shiloh. So again you are not
      making any sense.
    • ngreadermail
      Message 109 of 109 , Jan 2, 2008
        I was asking Ray for a source on Jackson.

        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Ronald black" <rblack0981@...>
        wrote:

        > Ray;
        > How many sources do you want? Take your pick.
        > Ron

        1/2/2008 11:29 AM