Re: The viability of Attack in the West versus the East

  • raymondohara
    Message 1 of 109 , Dec 28, 2007

      > A difference from ancient and medieval battles
      > was that a large proportion of modern armies could be
      > be routed, and a relatively small group could hold up
      > the attackers while the army reformed.
      > Regards
      > John GW

      a very good point.

      also battles were more spread out.
      at waterloo the battle was fought with one mile of front, while a
      battle like fredericksburg had an 8 mile front.
      it was difficult for something happening on one flank to effect the
      other as the troops didn't see their comrades streaming away and thus
      join in the general panic.
    • ngreadermail
      Message 109 of 109 , Jan 2, 2008
        I was asking Ray for a source on Jackson.

        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Ronald black" <rblack0981@...>
        wrote:

        > Ray;
        > How many sources do you want? Take your pick.
        > Ron

        1/2/2008 11:29 AM