Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Civil War Movies

  • Sweetsstar@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 27, 2007
      In a message dated 12/27/2007 11:54:42 A.M. Pacific Standard Time, raymond-ohara@... writes:
      places like cold harbor remained tourist free.
      Interesting comment as  I visited Cold Harbor for the second time in September , not the height of the tourist season.  I was touring all the battlesites around Richmond and yes most of them were empty.  It was during the week and it was September . Most places we visited were empty.  People were at work.  But Cold Harbor had a packed visitors center (granted it isn't that big) watching the film,  then as we toured the battlefield we came across a group of 20 or more people who were doing a walking tour of the battlefield.   So I would think that makes Cold Harbor much less than tourist free.

      Last June I was at Honey Springs and yes I was the only one there, it was Monday (I found out they were closed ) and it was pouring down rain.   Few days later I was the only one driving around Parker's Crossroad , but again it was early in the season .

      I was one who had no interest in Ken Burns Civil War when it came out.  But have since purchased it and watched it many times.  I am thankful it introduced me to Sam Watkins.  showed me pictures of real soldiers.  told me a story.  What is history but a story .  Good history is a good story.  Ken Burns did discover what to others might have been well known events.  He discovered them for himself and others who did not know they were well known events.

      When I started my journey five years ago I knew Grant , Lee, Jackson, Stuart and Sherman.  Gettysburg and Bull Run , sort of knew about Shiloh (from a very bad made for tv movie in the 60's )  .  My first battlefield visit was to Pea Ridge as I was traveling cross country after retiring .  I was amazed at the names of the generals there , I had never heard of them, on to Wilson's Creek, again never heard of the men there .  Now five years later I know so much more about both battles , other battles and the men who fought there.  Oh and to add to that I drove right though Spring Hill and Franklin as I didn't think there was anything important that happened there .  Yeah right !!!  Ask anyone that knows me now what I think of battle of Franklin and Patrick Cleburne, Frank Cheatham, Emerson Opdyke. to name a few on both sides.

      What ever gets people's interest up in a subject is a good thing.
      Susan

    • raymondohara
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 27, 2007
        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, Sweetsstar@... wrote:

        > In a message dated 12/27/2007 11:54:42 A.M. Pacific Standard
        Time,
        > raymond-ohara@... writes:
        >
        > places like cold harbor remained tourist free.
        >

        > Interesting comment as I visited Cold Harbor for the second time
        in
        > September , not the height of the tourist season. I was touring
        all the battlesites
        > around Richmond and yes most of them were empty. It was during
        the week and
        > it was September . Most places we visited were empty. People
        were at work.
        > But Cold Harbor had a packed visitors center (granted it isn't
        that big)
        > watching the film, then as we toured the battlefield we came
        across a group of
        > 20 or more people who were doing a walking tour of the
        battlefield. So I
        > would think that makes Cold Harbor much less than tourist free.
        >
        > Last June I was at Honey Springs and yes I was the only one there,
        it was
        > Monday (I found out they were closed ) and it was pouring down
        rain. Few days
        > later I was the only one driving around Parker's Crossroad , but
        again it
        > was early in the season .
        >
        > I was one who had no interest in Ken Burns Civil War when it came
        out. But
        > have since purchased it and watched it many times. I am thankful
        it
        > introduced me to Sam Watkins. showed me pictures of real
        soldiers. told me a story.

        i'm lucky enough to come from a town with a good library with an
        excellent american history section and also i have easy access to
        the best public library in america{if not the world} the boston
        public library,it has two large marlbe lions at the front enterence
        donated by the vets of the 2nd and 20th mass vol inf, these men also
        endowed the library so it has a rich collection of CW books, i've
        spent many a day in there,

        but the big moment in my CW interest was as a freshman at boston
        state college in 1975{not to be confused with BC or BU}
        it had a 50,000 volumncollection of american history books on -
        microfeche.
        i went into the library and looed up "battle" in the card catalog{my
        usual practice.

        and i saw a book about a battle called fair oaks{seven pines}
        written by a general gustavus w smith. my interest previously had
        been WWII and napoleonic.

        i'd read catton as a kid and other books, played avalon hill's
        gettysburg many times, but this batte was something i'd never really
        heard of and G.W.Smith was totally unknown.
        so i grabbed it and began reading.

        it was an attack on longstreet{who i had heard of} by smith blaming
        old pete for everything that went wrong that day and for basically
        ruining smith's career.
        this piqued my interest and soon i was reading lee's lieutenants,
        books on stones river and i was on my way. my sister had moved to NC
        and she had visied petersburg and told me they had a nice museum
        there. so i was there soon after. also cruising up through
        fredericksburg and orange county.

        as a kid at st mary school in dedham, the boston archdiocese used to
        sell a comic book called "treasure chest" it had good history
        articles, many about jesuits trying to convert the indians {and
        usually ending up martyred:/} but they had good stuff too, one being
        about the finding and recovery of the u.s.s.cairo just after it
        occured in 1963, 20 years later i was reading my mothers "modern
        maturity" and they had an article about the cairo finally being put
        on display and open to the public at vicksburg. that next spring i
        was off{by way of darlington SC for the spring race} and then across
        the carolnas,Ga,Tn,Ms spending 3 weeks hitting everywhere umtil i
        made vicksburg, i been back there several times since,