Re: [civilwarwest] books

  • keeno2@aol.com
    Message 1 of 109 , Dec 12, 2007
      In a message dated 12/12/2007 2:30:13 P.M. Central Standard Time, hjs21@... writes:
      I thought the Melton book to be one of the poorest bios I’ve read.

    • James W. Durney
      Message 109 of 109 , Dec 12, 2007
        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "derylsellm" <gsandds@...> wrote:

        > The title "How the South Could Have Won the Civil War: The Fatal
        > Errors That Led to Confederate Defeat" strikes a nerve with me. It
        > seems the fate of the Confederacy in 1864 turned on whether Lincoln
        > would be elected again. I recently visited a Civil War battlefield
        > park at Franklin, Tennessee, commemorating the terrible Confederate
        > defeat there. I really wondered "what if" General Kirby Smith had
        > found a way to obey President Davis's order to send Lieutenant
        > General Richard Taylor's infantry corps across the Mississippi during
        > the summer of 1864. Could ten thousand more veteran infantry have
        > made a difference at the battle at Spring Hill, Tennessee, and
        > changed the outcome at Franklin, and perhaps the war? Or would
        > General Hood have just got them killed?
        > Best Regards,
        > Deryl P. Sellmeyer
        > Author, Jo Shelby's Iron Brigade

        I don't think it was possible to find a way to ship 10,000 men across
        the Mississippi in 1864. Even if their was, I fail to see how the CSA
        would have moved them to TN in time for Hood's invasion. Lastly, I
        don't see more men helping Hood. The problem isn't men but supplies
        and transport. The AoT just lacks the ability to supply an army in the
        field. Richmond sent the majority of supplies to the AoNV and that
        included wagons and the teams to pull them.