Remembrance Day

  • huddleston.r@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 12, 2007
      In Canada November 11 is also known as �Remembrance Day.�

      So, in remembrance,

      Captain and brevet Major John Scott, Company H, Twenty-fifth Illinois Veteran Volunteers, 1861-1865, lieutenant, Fourth United States Infantry, 1866-1886, born February 13, 1868, Braes, Dumfrieshire, Scotland, died St. Elizabeth�s Hospital, District of Columbia, November 10, 1886; to his grandson, and my father, Tech 4 John Scott, 165th General Hospital, Oxfordshire, England, 1944-1945, born June 20, 1912, Kansas City Missouri, died Veteran�s Center, Reno, Nevada, July 15, 1964; to my great uncle, Colonel John Scott, Infantry, U.S.A., born Fort Bridger, Wyoming Territory, died Walter Reed Hospital, Washington, D.C., December 14, 1939; and to my uncle, Lieutenant junior grade John James Green, U.S.N., born January 16, 1919, missing and presumed dead in the sinking of the U.S.S. Rowan (DD-405), 11 September 1943.

      The muffled drum�s sad roll has beat
      The soldier�s last tattoo;
      No more on life�s parade shall meet
      The brave and daring few.
      On Fame�s eternal camping-ground
      Their silent tents are spread,
      And Glory guards with solemn round
      The bivouac of the dead.

      --
      Take care,

      Bob

      Judy and Bob Huddleston
      10643 Sperry Street
      Northglenn, CO 80234-3612
      huddleston.r@...

      "Problems will always torment us because all important problems are insoluble: that is why they are important. The good comes from the continuing struggle to try and solve them, not from the vain hope of their solution."

      - Historian Arthur Schlesinger Jr.
    • Walt
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 13, 2007
        I was wondering how many annually travel from the Mid-west to
        Gettysburg, Penna., for Remembrance Day weekend. There always seems
        to be quite an off-season gathering for this activity. On any given
        year there may be five or six largest balls being conducted and
        memorial services throughout the weekend.

        Might there be something similar gotten up in the Midwest that I am
        not aware of?

        Walt