Re: Confederate Battle Plan for Shiloh 1862

  • James W. Durney
    Message 1 of 31 , Nov 8, 2007
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "William H Keene" <wh_keene@...>
      wrote:

      > My explanation: terrain and traffic management. The army had
      > advanced into a strip of land between two creeks that were about four
      > miles apart, though the functional width was probably closer to 2
      > miles. The army had advanced in such a way that the Corps were
      > positioned in a sequence back along the road. To assign different
      > Corps to sectors would have required either (1) a lot of
      > rearrangement of position prior to the battle which would have wasted
      > a lot of time and created confusion or (2) advancing to engaged the
      > enemy in series with the intent to have the Corps move to sectors
      > once the terrain opened up more.

      I thought the plan of battle was done prior to startting the march to
      Shiloh. I checked the Sword & Cunningham books and cannot find that
      this was the case. They both talk about the order to advance but
      nothing about a battle plan. PGTB & ASJ seem to have stumbled into the
      battle with little coordination and less planning then I had thought.
    • keeno2@aol.com
      Message 31 of 31 , Dec 10 10:57 PM
        In a message dated 12/11/2007 12:27:18 A.M. Central Standard Time, perryrgray@... writes:
        It is always good to know that there are so many helpful people and what they can provide to help others better appreciate this conflict.
        Perry: I don't know of a single person in this community that won't jump in to help with whatever. We're all here because we are immersed obscenely in the study and want to draw you in, as well.

        ken