Re: Confederate Battle Plan for Shiloh 1862

  • William H Keene
    Message 1 of 31 , Nov 8, 2007
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Perry Gray" <perryrgray@...>
      wrote:

      > List members,
      >
      > I am writing an article about the Battle of Shiloh and wanted to
      know
      > if anyone can provide an explanation for the unique battle plan used
      > by General PGT Beauregard.

      My explanation: terrain and traffic management. The army had
      advanced into a strip of land between two creeks that were about four
      miles apart, though the functional width was probably closer to 2
      miles. The army had advanced in such a way that the Corps were
      positioned in a sequence back along the road. To assign different
      Corps to sectors would have required either (1) a lot of
      rearrangement of position prior to the battle which would have wasted
      a lot of time and created confusion or (2) advancing to engaged the
      enemy in series with the intent to have the Corps move to sectors
      once the terrain opened up more.
    • keeno2@aol.com
      Message 31 of 31 , Dec 10, 2007
        In a message dated 12/11/2007 12:27:18 A.M. Central Standard Time, perryrgray@... writes:
        It is always good to know that there are so many helpful people and what they can provide to help others better appreciate this conflict.
        Perry: I don't know of a single person in this community that won't jump in to help with whatever. We're all here because we are immersed obscenely in the study and want to draw you in, as well.

        ken