Re: Range of Action

  • James W. Durney
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 7, 2007
      That is correct for a musket as the "buck n ball" was most effective
      at that range. My understanding that anything over 100 yards for a
      musket was almost a waste of time.

    • keeno2@aol.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 7, 2007
        In a message dated 11/7/2007 3:50:39 P.M. Central Standard Time, tmix@... writes:
        600 yards from Ruggles guns to the end of the Union fence line of the Hornets Nest?
        Gotta go with you on this one tmix. The lines fell away from each other. At the closest point, on the northern edge of the line of guns, it looked like less than 300 yards. But the "road" fell away quickly to the southeast. Even at 600 yards, a capable artillerist with reliable fuses can drop shell with good effect.

        ken

      • keeno2@aol.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 7, 2007
          In a message dated 11/7/2007 6:19:54 P.M. Central Standard Time, JWD2044@... writes:
          That is correct for a musket as the "buck n ball" was most effective at that range.  My understanding that anything over 100 yards for a musket was almost a waste of time.
          For a smoothbore musket, 100 yards was a waste of time for one-on-one shooting. However, if you have 300 guys shooting at 300 guys, pure luck would drop several--and that was the point. "Musketry" is the idea of concentrated mass fire. Shoot with enough muskets, en masse, and you will likely disconcert the other side somewhat.

          The accuracy of the rifled musket was mixed in that, even in western troops, there were those who had never handled a long-gun. Hence, point in the general direction and shoot--musketry. In the west, there may well have been a number in every regiment who where entirely expectant that the object of his aim would drop.

          Buck 'n ball was a compromise between a shotgun and a musket. Short range, it was devastating. Get much beyond 50 yards and it was useless.

          Just a thought.

          ole

        • Tom Mix
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 7, 2007

            That’s how I saw it, Ken. 250+ seems about right to me.

            Tom