RE: [civilwarwest] Range of Action

  • Tom Mix
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 7, 2007

      600 yards from Ruggles guns to the end of the Union fence line of the Hornets Nest? That would be 6 football fields and I just don’t recall it looking like that far in the park. But I’m sure I’m probably wrong and your right but it doesn’t look that far IMHO.

      The Nest was breaking but don’t forget, there was a reason he needed to gather those guns up to force the issue at that time.

      Tom

      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 7, 2007
        Thanks for the info. The book "Civil War Tactics" by Paddy Griffith
        does present a strong case for the Civil War being the last Napoleonic
        War. It has been awhile since I read it but it seem to cover the later
        war and mostly sided towar the Eastern theater. I still think that a
        tactical look at Shiloh and other earlier actions has never really been
        done.

        Jim G
      • Ronald black
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 7, 2007
          Tom:
          The distance was determined by measurement from the Trailhead Graphics map and a Tennessee Valley Authority Topographical map.  From the line of plaques in the woods on the west side of the Duncan field to the plaques in the tree line behind the sunken road position.  The 600 yards includes more than just the Duncan field.
          About 3:00 pm, Beauregard was notified of the death of A S Johnston and that Beauregard was now in command of the army and the battle.  He appointed Ruggles to be in command in the sector on the west side of the Duncan field.  Ruggles immediately issued orders shortly after being appointed to command, about 3:15 pm, to gather all of the artillery that can be found.  The need as you point out, is based on his assessment of events as they existed about 3:15 pm.  The action of gathering the guns took about one hour and only at 4:30 were most or all of the batteries formed and firing.  Evidence exists that batteries were arriving after 4:00 and the command arrangements were not settled.  They did not "force the issue" because by 4:30, the federals were leaving the area already especially the union artillery.  Remember, that no union battery was caught in the trap and surrendered with the infantry units.  Yes, I'm aware that Mann's Michigan battery surrendered but they came from their bivouac area in the Cloud field and were caught on the River road by Lindsay's rebel cavalry.  They did not come from the sunken road area.  They were in the Cloud field to get food, Boy, what a mistake.

          Ron

          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 7, 2007
            That is correct for a musket as the "buck n ball" was most effective
            at that range. My understanding that anything over 100 yards for a
            musket was almost a waste of time.

          • keeno2@aol.com
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 7, 2007
              In a message dated 11/7/2007 3:50:39 P.M. Central Standard Time, tmix@... writes:
              600 yards from Ruggles guns to the end of the Union fence line of the Hornets Nest?
              Gotta go with you on this one tmix. The lines fell away from each other. At the closest point, on the northern edge of the line of guns, it looked like less than 300 yards. But the "road" fell away quickly to the southeast. Even at 600 yards, a capable artillerist with reliable fuses can drop shell with good effect.

              ken

            • keeno2@aol.com
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 7, 2007
                In a message dated 11/7/2007 6:19:54 P.M. Central Standard Time, JWD2044@... writes:
                That is correct for a musket as the "buck n ball" was most effective at that range.  My understanding that anything over 100 yards for a musket was almost a waste of time.
                For a smoothbore musket, 100 yards was a waste of time for one-on-one shooting. However, if you have 300 guys shooting at 300 guys, pure luck would drop several--and that was the point. "Musketry" is the idea of concentrated mass fire. Shoot with enough muskets, en masse, and you will likely disconcert the other side somewhat.

                The accuracy of the rifled musket was mixed in that, even in western troops, there were those who had never handled a long-gun. Hence, point in the general direction and shoot--musketry. In the west, there may well have been a number in every regiment who where entirely expectant that the object of his aim would drop.

                Buck 'n ball was a compromise between a shotgun and a musket. Short range, it was devastating. Get much beyond 50 yards and it was useless.

                Just a thought.

                ole

              • Tom Mix
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 7, 2007

                  That’s how I saw it, Ken. 250+ seems about right to me.

                  Tom