Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Confederate Battle Plan for Shiloh 1862

  • keeno2@aol.com
    Message 1 of 31 , Nov 7, 2007
      In a message dated 11/6/2007 10:44:33 P.M. Central Standard Time, jgillen94@... writes:
      In a statement by Beauregard at a later date he said he deployed the Confederate forces that way because or the fact they were green troops, the ground was broken so that way it would be easier to control them.
      Beau's statement, as mentioned by Ron I think, shows a later attempt to excuse the faulty deployment.
      Because the troops were green and the ground was broken, they ought to have been arranged in deeper columns for easier control--not spread out in long lines in which control was difficult at best.

      The plan was faulty also in that there may have been a misunderstanding as to Union positions. There was also a gross lack of a general understanding of the terrain: virtually no one in command had the foggiest idea of what they were marching into.

      The inability of either Johnston or Beauregard to control movement is evident in that Johnston's plan was abandoned by all but Johnston when most of the troops marched to the sound of the early engagements. Even so, Johnston, following his plan to peel the Feds away from the river, came quite close to making it work.

      ole

    • keeno2@aol.com
      Message 31 of 31 , Dec 10, 2007
        In a message dated 12/11/2007 12:27:18 A.M. Central Standard Time, perryrgray@... writes:
        It is always good to know that there are so many helpful people and what they can provide to help others better appreciate this conflict.
        Perry: I don't know of a single person in this community that won't jump in to help with whatever. We're all here because we are immersed obscenely in the study and want to draw you in, as well.

        ken