Re: [civilwarwest] Confederate Battle Plan for Shiloh 1862

  • Ronald black
    Message 1 of 31 , Nov 6, 2007
      Perry:
      I too have studied the battle and read all of the current Shiloh books.  The organization of the confederates for the battle long baffled me also.  I have read, as you probably have, that the arrangement of the corps was based on the battle plan of Napoleon for the battle of Waterloo.  I"m not quite certain of this but someday I may look into it further, someday.
      Actually, I believe the hurried events leading up to the battle was the reason.  General Albert S Johnston left the arrangements concerning the battle to General Beauregard.  He did this because he had just arrived on scene while Beauregard had been present forming the units into a army.  General Johnston was inclined to let the on-scene commander handle the affairs and this was one more example this tendenacy.  The army was busy organizing and forming units.  All of the leaders were rushed and Beauregard delegated the task of writing the orders for the army to Colonel Thomas Jordan.  Following a conference between Johnston and Beauregard, attended by Colonel Jordan, the details of the plan was given to Jordan for him to write it up.  He retired to his tent and wrote Special Orders #8 on April 3rd, 1862, using the only table available, General Beauregard's camp table.  This was the order that contained the formation of the battle lines and the route and order of the march.  In the route of march, the plan was much too complex for the untrained volunteers and the unusual battle formation, using waves, was a deterrent to the success of the confederates.  You can read the entire Special Order #8 in the Official Records of the Civil War in Volume 10, part 1, Book 10 on pages 392 to 395.
      You might say that the confederates lost the battle of Shiloh before they left Corinth because of this special order.
      Ron

      Message 31 of 31 , Dec 10, 2007
        In a message dated 12/11/2007 12:27:18 A.M. Central Standard Time, perryrgray@... writes:
        It is always good to know that there are so many helpful people and what they can provide to help others better appreciate this conflict.
        Perry: I don't know of a single person in this community that won't jump in to help with whatever. We're all here because we are immersed obscenely in the study and want to draw you in, as well.

        ken