Re: Lightning Ellsworth - His Last Roll Call

  • drnancytodd
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2007
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Walt" <scentofhorse@...> wrote:

      > Might anyone know where Lightning's headstone may stand radiant
      > amongst the now silent majority? Inquiring brass pounders wanna know.

      My guess is that he would have been buried around Antonio where he
      died which is in West Baton Rouge, or New Orleans, which was where he
      evidently was living according to census records.

      Nancy T

      Info about George A. Ellsworth & family

      http://www400.sos.louisiana.gov/cgibin?rqstyp=cpadtl&rqsdta=05992
      Louisiana Confederate Pension Applications Index Database
      Reel: CP1.46 -- Microdex 1 -- Sequence 10
      Target card: ELLSWORTH, MARY MULLEN
      Applicant Information & Name Variations:
      ELLSWORTH, MARY (MULLEN)
      Parish: ORLEANS -- Pages: 23

      ELLSWORTH, GEORGE A.
      State: KY
      Branch: CAVALRY
      Unit: DUKE'S 2ND REGIMENT, TELEGRAPH OPERATOR
      Company: CO. A

      Remarks:
      FILE CONTAINS AN INTERESTING ARTICLE IN REGARD
      TO TELEGRAPHERS IN THE CIVIL WAR AND ESPECIALLY
      THE SERVICE OF GEORGE A. ELLSWORTH AND HIS DEATH
      ON THE 29TH OF NOVEMBER 1898.

      ~~~~~

      1880 US Census, 16, New Orleans, Orleans, Louisiana [Census taken June
      22, 1880]
      http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/frameset_search.asp

      George ELLSWORTH, age 37, born CAN, occupation Telegraph Operator,
      parents born in Canada
      Mary ELLSWORTH, Wife, age 24, born VA, parents born Ireland.

      1880, Kirkwood, Saint Louis, Missouri [Census taken June 15, 1880]
      A. George Ellsworth, age 37, single, telegraph operator, born Canada,
      Father born NY, mother born CT

      These could very well be the same person. I've seen instances of
      people who were away from home when the census was taken who were
      recorded at both a home residence and a temporary residence.

      1900 United States Federal Census
      Name: Mary Ellsworth, widow
      Home in 1900: New Orleans Ward 15, Orleans, Louisiana
      Age: 39
      Estimated birth year: abt 1861
      Birthplace: Virginia
      Household Members:
      John Mullen 41, head of household
      Mary Ellsworth 39, sister of head, widow, born VA, parents born Ireland
      Bessie Ellsworth, 15, born Alabama, father born Canada, mother born
      Virginia

      1910 United States Federal Census
      Name: O j Vinet
      Age in 1910: 33
      Estimated birth year: abt 1877
      Birthplace: Louisiana
      Relation to Head of House: Head
      Father's Birth Place: Louisiana
      Mother's Birth Place: Louisiana
      Spouse's name: Ellsworth
      Home in 1910: New Orleans Ward 15, Orleans, Louisiana
      Marital Status: Married
      Household Members:
      Name Age
      O j Vinet 33
      Ellsworth Vinet 25
      John N Vinet 1 10/12

      1920 United States Federal Census
      Name: Mary Ellsworth
      Home in 1920: New Orleans Ward 15, Orleans, Louisiana
      Age: 64 years
      Estimated birth year: abt 1856
      Birthplace: Virginia
      Relation to Head of House: Mother-in-law
      Father's Birth Place: Ireland
      Mother's Birth Place: Ireland
      Marital Status: Widow
      Household Members:
      Orezine J Vinet 40
      Bessie Vinet 35
      John N Vinet 11
      Alice Vinet 8
      George E Vinet 5
      Alton J Vinet 1
      Mary Ellsworth 64

      From Ancestry.com
      Mary Mullen Ellsworth d. March 1939, New Orleans

      Social Security Death Index [children of Bessie Ellsworth Vinet]
      http://ssdi.genealogy.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/ssdi.cgi/ssdi.cgi
      JOHN VINET 09 Sep 1908 Jul 1958 Issued Louisiana
      JOHN N VINET JR 19 Feb 1940 29 Aug 1999 Issued Louisiana
      GEORGE VINET 07 Jan 1915 Jan 1981 LAST RESIDENCE: 10308 (Staten
      Island, Richmond, NY) Long-time or retired railroad workers
      ALTON VINET 10 Jan 1918 Feb 1978 LAST RESIDENCE: 33952 (Port
      Charlotte, Charlotte, FL) Issued Louisiana
    • Walt
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 1, 2007
        Thanks much Nancy for all of your census info assistance.

        This is just in from Dave Gaddy, historian of the Signal Corps
        Association (1860-1865) of what he has on George A. "Lightning"
        Ellsworth. I have also phoned signal re-enactor Chuck Lee of Baton
        Rouge in hopes that he will work with the city's historical society to
        locate George's grave and have also alerted Jim Wilson,
        Editor-in-Chief of the Morse Telegraph Club's "Dots and Dashes" to
        these stirrings.

        Notes From Dave...

        From my notes: B. 24 July 1843 in on the north side of East Lake,
        Prince Edward county, Canada. At age 11 [1854] taken by father to
        Whitby, Ontarion, cty, 30 mi. from Toronto. At 14 [1857] in Illinois
        as night tep op Peoria Junction (later Chenoa), Chicago, Alton, and
        St. Louis. St. Louis at 15-16, about two years; Galveston, TX at age
        17, 9 Sep 1860. Houston, TX (at age 18?) enlists in "Bayou City
        Guards," which became Co. A, 5th Texas Infantry.

        In the old "Signal Cipher," Vol. 6, No. 10, Oxt 1992, is a quote from
        "Civil War Times," XXII, No. 6. Oct 1983, pp. 22-27, which cites
        training at SFB Morse's tel school. (Did Morse also have a school in
        Chicago at the appropriate time?)

        Impression I have is that he was a "knight of the road," an itinerant
        operator, and that the war years were a lark for him. (He was with the
        CS covert operators in Canada for a time.) Resumed his nomadic life
        after the war. In the 1880 US census, he was listed as a boarder and
        tel op, age 37, b. Canada, parents b. NY and Conn, living in Kirkwood,
        St. Louis, MO 15 June 1880. Attended Nashville Confed reunion 1897.
        Died "at his key" c1899 working as tel op for Western Union at
        Antonio, LA, West Baton Rouge Parish. Obit in Confed Vet.

        Can't confirm the Morse School training. For a kid of 14, seems more
        likely he learned "side-saddle" with experienced op, but then... .

        I've found no indication of marriage or family. Only picture I've seen
        is that terrible one in "Confed Vet," [1900] obviously late in life

        You prob have, in our Archive, a copy of my article, "The Canadian
        Confederate Wire-Tapper," printed in "Colloquy", newsletter of the
        former Security Affairs Support Association, Vol. 8, No. 2, Mar 1988,
        pp. 6-7.
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Walt
        www.civilwarsignals.org
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~``35``~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "drnancytodd" <drnancytodd@...>
        wrote:

        My guess is that he [Geo. A. Ellsworth] would have been buried around
        Antonio where he died which is in West Baton Rouge, or New Orleans,
        which was where he evidently was living according to census records.

        Nancy T

        info about George A. Ellsworth & family

        http://www400.sos.louisiana.gov/cgibin?rqstyp=cpadtl&rqsdta=05992
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~``snip``~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      • drnancytodd
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 1, 2007
          Walt,

          Thanks for posting the information you received. Fascinating! Given
          the Louisiana pension info sure does look like George was married even
          while being a "knight of the road." Please keep us posted. I'm curious
          now about this gentleman.

          One of my other interests is genealogy and I found a couple of
          Ellsworth posts you might find helpful.

          This one was posted by a descendant of O. J. Vinet and his wife
          Elizabeth Ellsworth Vinet, daughter of George and Mary. If you click
          on the Glen Vinet link it will reveal his email address. He might know
          something.
          http://genforum.genealogy.com/vinet/messages/34.html

          This one was posted by someone looking for graves of Texas civil war
          soldiers, including George. No one replied to his query but he might
          have found something anyway.
          http://boards.rootsweb.com/localities.northam.usa.states.louisiana.parishes.orleans/3049/mb.ashx

          Nancy T