Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Where the War REALLY was Won (and who won it)

  • keeno2@aol.com
    Message 1 of 62 , Oct 11, 2007
      In a message dated 10/11/2007 2:34:50 P.M. Central Daylight Time, jgillen94@... writes:
      I don;t think the that the people in the north would have put up with a protracted war. By 1864 the public was becoming war weary and the ever increasing casualities on both sides would of brought an end to the war. Agreed the south did not have the man power or the industrial base but there was a a portion of the northern public which were wanted a quick end to the war! Grant and Sherman brought war home to the south.The war won't have lasted another 10 years
      Agreed. The northern public was getting more than a bit tired of the war. Many of them might have been quite happy to let the erring sisters go in peace. You are, however, giving short shrift to Lincoln as a factor. He may not have prevailed, but we do know something about his resolve. Without Grant and Sherman, the war would still have been prosecuted as it was.

      ken

    • fwnash@comcast.net
      Message 62 of 62 , Nov 4, 2009

        This letter, published in the S&D Reflector in Dec 1969, was written by the mayor of Pittsburgh to recognize six steamboat captains and their vessels for their service to the country.

                                         Pittsburgh, PA,

                                         Feb 19th, 1862

        I desire that the captains of the following

        steamers be placed on record for the patriotic

        and liberal (volunteering) of their services

        and boats, without renumeration, to proceed

        immediately to the Cumberland River to relieve

        the sick and wounded soldiers:  Rocket, Capt

        Wolf; Clara Poe, Capt Poe, Horizon, Capt

        Stockdale; Emma, Capt Maratta; Westmorland,

        Capt Evans; Sir William Wallace, Capt Hugh

        Campbell.

                                        B. C. Sawyer, Jr., Mayor.

        My search for the original letter has failed to date.  To whom the letter was addressed is unknown.  What words were replaced?  The subject of the paragraph in the S&D Reflector was salaries of the captains of the steamers during the war.  Apparently, boats and crews who worked for no salary were not uncommon especially when pressed to service.

        The letter was also interesting from the steamer point of view.  Three boats were destroyed during the war.  In Jan 1865, the Emma collided with the Louisville ferry.  Both vessels were disabled and both floated helplessly over the falls.  A dramatic ending for the Emma.   The Clara Poe, bound for Nashville with supplies, was burned on 17 Apr 1865 by rebels along the Cumberland River .  That date was curious.  Hostilities in the west continued for about thirty days after Appomattox .  While running at night without lights, the Horizon collided with the Moderator near Vicksburg on 1 May 1863 resulting in the deaths of many soldiers.

        All six boats were built and manned from the Pittsburgh region.  The Clara Poe and the Horizon were owned and operated by my guys from Georgetown , PA.

        Another description of the impact of the Civil War on river commerce is found in a brief editorial - The Golden Age of Steamboating.  If the hyperlink fails, the web page is:

         http://georgetownsteamboats.com/gs/the-golden-age-of-steamboating/

        Research on RR capabilities during the Civil War continues.

        Fran Nash