Re: the little breechloader

  • Tony Gunter
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 7, 2007

      > interesting indeed that such a small weapon was so innovative that it
      > drew such attention. And it originally was in the hands of the CSA?
      > Probably British. I assume it didnt use metal cartridges; perhaps
      > "prepared rounds" made for fast fire, however.

      I'm not sure if it was the innovation or the size of the weapon that
      drew notice. Like "what would you use something this small for ...
      hey, I know, let's give it to the cavalry."

      :)
    • Tony Gunter
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 8, 2007

        > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Carl Williams" <carlw4514@>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > interesting indeed that such a small weapon was so innovative
        that it
        > > drew such attention. And it originally was in the hands of the
        CSA?
        > > Probably British. I assume it didnt use metal cartridges; perhaps
        > > "prepared rounds" made for fast fire, however.
        > >

        > I'm not sure if it was the innovation or the size of the weapon
        that
        > drew notice. Like "what would you use something this small for ...
        > hey, I know, let's give it to the cavalry."
        >
        > :)

        I believe Jeff's theory is that it was a two-pounder Hughes gun, some
        of which were actually forged right there in Jackson, Mississippi.
        The weight of the gun was something like 80 pounds, if I remember
        correctly, which made it easy for cavalry to haul around.