"One hour's hard fighting"

  • Tony Gunter
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 6, 2007
      In the latest issue of North & South, a friend of mine, Jeff
      Giambrone, has an article related to Vicksburg. Jeff formerly worked
      at the Old Courthouse Museum and has mainly been involved in
      regimental-history type writing, but this article is about a cavalry
      battle west of the Big Black River just before the surrender of
      Vicksburg. The 4th Iowa Cavalry was surprised and overwhelmed by 4
      times their number, their avenue of retreat quickly interdicted,
      while setting up a road block at Jones' Ford. The 4th Iowa was aided
      by a little two-pounder breechloader that had been captured at
      Jackson. The little gun was interesting enough to draw mention from
      Sherman to Grant (and I paraphrase) "the enemy captured that little
      two-pounder that we saw in Jackson." Fortunately, the 4th Iowa
      managed to disable it by making off with the breech pin.

      Sherman, being typical Sherman, quipped "the men must not have their
      pickets out." In reality, the pickets were quickly overrun, and the
      men who filtered back to the union lines over the next few days were
      lucky to have made it out with their lives.

      Should be an interesting little article, especially for any Vicksburg
      fanatics.
    • Carl Williams
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 7, 2007
        interesting indeed that such a small weapon was so innovative that it
        drew such attention. And it originally was in the hands of the CSA?
        Probably British. I assume it didnt use metal cartridges; perhaps
        "prepared rounds" made for fast fire, however.
      • Tony Gunter
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 7, 2007

          > In the latest issue of North & South, a friend of mine, Jeff
          > Giambrone, has an article related to Vicksburg. Jeff formerly
          worked
          > at the Old Courthouse Museum and has mainly been involved in
          > regimental-history type writing, but this article is about a
          cavalry
          > battle west of the Big Black River just before the surrender of
          > Vicksburg. The 4th Iowa Cavalry was surprised and overwhelmed by 4
          > times their number, their avenue of retreat quickly interdicted,
          > while setting up a road block at Jones' Ford. The 4th Iowa was
          aided
          > by a little two-pounder breechloader that had been captured at
          > Jackson. The little gun was interesting enough to draw mention
          from
          > Sherman to Grant (and I paraphrase) "the enemy captured that little
          > two-pounder that we saw in Jackson." Fortunately, the 4th Iowa
          > managed to disable it by making off with the breech pin.
          >
          > Sherman, being typical Sherman, quipped "the men must not have
          their
          > pickets out." In reality, the pickets were quickly overrun, and
          the
          > men who filtered back to the union lines over the next few days
          were
          > lucky to have made it out with their lives.
          >
          > Should be an interesting little article, especially for any
          Vicksburg
          > fanatics.

          Doh! Apparently, the website hasn't been updated in a while ... the
          issue that has this article is a few issues old: Vol. 9, No. 7.
        • Tony Gunter
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 7, 2007

            > interesting indeed that such a small weapon was so innovative that it
            > drew such attention. And it originally was in the hands of the CSA?
            > Probably British. I assume it didnt use metal cartridges; perhaps
            > "prepared rounds" made for fast fire, however.

            I'm not sure if it was the innovation or the size of the weapon that
            drew notice. Like "what would you use something this small for ...
            hey, I know, let's give it to the cavalry."

            :)
          • Tony Gunter
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 8, 2007

              > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Carl Williams" <carlw4514@>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > interesting indeed that such a small weapon was so innovative
              that it
              > > drew such attention. And it originally was in the hands of the
              CSA?
              > > Probably British. I assume it didnt use metal cartridges; perhaps
              > > "prepared rounds" made for fast fire, however.
              > >

              > I'm not sure if it was the innovation or the size of the weapon
              that
              > drew notice. Like "what would you use something this small for ...
              > hey, I know, let's give it to the cavalry."
              >
              > :)

              I believe Jeff's theory is that it was a two-pounder Hughes gun, some
              of which were actually forged right there in Jackson, Mississippi.
              The weight of the gun was something like 80 pounds, if I remember
              correctly, which made it easy for cavalry to haul around.