Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Union positions 1st Day Shiloh

  • GT Williams
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 3, 2007
      I agree that you need to consult Reed. the Reed maps are the best source that is readily available that will show Brigade locations on both days.
      --
      Greg Williams

      ---- Ron Black <rblack0981@...> wrote:
      > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "jgillen94" <jgillen94@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Looking for a source showing the positions by brigade or regiment of
      > > Union forces at the start of battle of Shiloh. Have the West Point
      > > Atlas maps but they only show divisions. Also is there book or
      > article
      > > dealing with the action in the "Hornet's Nest" and it's importance in
      > > the battle.
      > >
      > A difficult question to answer as no single source exists that I'm
      > aware of that shows the positions, neatly laid out as a map would.
      > Remember that the union regiments went into the battle at various
      > times, so time is a factor in answering your question. An example is
      > Prentiss's division, Peabody's brigade was in action about 6:oo am and
      > Miller's brigade was attacked about 8:00 am. So a 6 am map would show
      > elements of Peabody's brigade fighting near the Fraley and Seay fields
      > and Miller's brigade still in camp above the Spain field. At the start
      > of the battle three of the five union divisions were still in their
      > camps. They moved up at various times and took a position in an order
      > not the same in which they were camped. You should study the location
      > of the union camp sites. This will show you where they had to march
      > from and give clues to where they deployed. Although Shiloh was a
      > confusing battle for the soldiers, the regiments were subordinate to
      > their brigades and many of them stayed with their brigades. Therefore,
      > I recommend you study the brigade movements to better understand the
      > regimental deployments.
      > Best sources for information are the Trailhead Graphics map available
      > at the Shiloh book store, The book by Major David Reed and the plaques
      > placed on the battlefield, again the work of Major Reed. Major Reed's
      > work was based on interviews of the veterans of the battle, men who
      > were there. I have studied this subject and can help you by private e-
      > mail if you wish. This is a vast subject to try to list in a post.
      > Books by Cunningham, Daniel, Sword will be helpful as well.
      > Hope this helps, please e-mail if I can help you
      > Ron

    • Harry Smeltzer
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 3, 2007

        Try this link:

        http://www.civilwarlandscapes.org/cwla/states/tn/sh/tm_time/sh_day1f.htm

        Great maps.

        Harry

        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 3, 2007
          Your message

          To: civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com
          Cc: Gentsch, James
          Subject: 10/3/2007 10:01 AM

          was read on 10/3/2007 2:50 PM.
        • Carl Williams
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 4, 2007
            well, I can see we are going to have a whole bunch of riveting
            messages this month [g].

            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 4, 2007
              wow, nice map resource, Harry, thanks!
              This'll go in our "links" in the maps folder.
              the below like a page with the full menu:

              http://www.civilwarlandscapes.org/cwla/choose/battlef.htm

              --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Harry Smeltzer" <hjs21@...> wrote:

              > Try this link:
              >
              > http://www.civilwarlandscapes.org/cwla/states/tn/sh/tm_time/sh_day1f.htm
              >
              > Great maps.
              >
              > Harry

            • gnrljejohnston
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 7, 2007
                --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "jgillen94" <jgillen94@...> wrote:

                > Looking for a source showing the positions by brigade or regiment of
                > Union forces at the start of battle of Shiloh. Have the West Point
                > Atlas maps but they only show divisions. Also is there book or
                article
                > dealing with the action in the "Hornet's Nest" and it's importance in
                > the battle.

                Try this site to answer your post.. I found it to be great for it even
                breaks it down to the regiment level.

                http://www.civilwarlandscapes.org/cwla/states/tn/sh/tm_time/sh_day1f.htm

                JEJ
              • jgillen94
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 8, 2007
                  Thanks the maps are great. I printed them all out and am sure they will
                  help in my research.
                  Jim