Re: Union positions 1st Day Shiloh

  • Ron Black
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 3, 2007
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "jgillen94" <jgillen94@...> wrote:

      > Looking for a source showing the positions by brigade or regiment of
      > Union forces at the start of battle of Shiloh. Have the West Point
      > Atlas maps but they only show divisions. Also is there book or
      article
      > dealing with the action in the "Hornet's Nest" and it's importance in
      > the battle.

      A difficult question to answer as no single source exists that I'm
      aware of that shows the positions, neatly laid out as a map would.
      Remember that the union regiments went into the battle at various
      times, so time is a factor in answering your question. An example is
      Prentiss's division, Peabody's brigade was in action about 6:oo am and
      Miller's brigade was attacked about 8:00 am. So a 6 am map would show
      elements of Peabody's brigade fighting near the Fraley and Seay fields
      and Miller's brigade still in camp above the Spain field. At the start
      of the battle three of the five union divisions were still in their
      camps. They moved up at various times and took a position in an order
      not the same in which they were camped. You should study the location
      of the union camp sites. This will show you where they had to march
      from and give clues to where they deployed. Although Shiloh was a
      confusing battle for the soldiers, the regiments were subordinate to
      their brigades and many of them stayed with their brigades. Therefore,
      I recommend you study the brigade movements to better understand the
      regimental deployments.
      Best sources for information are the Trailhead Graphics map available
      at the Shiloh book store, The book by Major David Reed and the plaques
      placed on the battlefield, again the work of Major Reed. Major Reed's
      work was based on interviews of the veterans of the battle, men who
      were there. I have studied this subject and can help you by private e-
      mail if you wish. This is a vast subject to try to list in a post.
      Books by Cunningham, Daniel, Sword will be helpful as well.
      Hope this helps, please e-mail if I can help you
      Ron
    • Tom Mix
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 3, 2007
        Your message

        To: civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com
        Cc: Gentsch, James
        Subject: 10/3/2007 9:01 AM

        was read on 10/3/2007 1:30 PM.
      • GT Williams
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 3, 2007
          I agree that you need to consult Reed. the Reed maps are the best source that is readily available that will show Brigade locations on both days.
          --
          Greg Williams

          ---- Ron Black <rblack0981@...> wrote:
          > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "jgillen94" <jgillen94@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Looking for a source showing the positions by brigade or regiment of
          > > Union forces at the start of battle of Shiloh. Have the West Point
          > > Atlas maps but they only show divisions. Also is there book or
          > article
          > > dealing with the action in the "Hornet's Nest" and it's importance in
          > > the battle.
          > >
          > A difficult question to answer as no single source exists that I'm
          > aware of that shows the positions, neatly laid out as a map would.
          > Remember that the union regiments went into the battle at various
          > times, so time is a factor in answering your question. An example is
          > Prentiss's division, Peabody's brigade was in action about 6:oo am and
          > Miller's brigade was attacked about 8:00 am. So a 6 am map would show
          > elements of Peabody's brigade fighting near the Fraley and Seay fields
          > and Miller's brigade still in camp above the Spain field. At the start
          > of the battle three of the five union divisions were still in their
          > camps. They moved up at various times and took a position in an order
          > not the same in which they were camped. You should study the location
          > of the union camp sites. This will show you where they had to march
          > from and give clues to where they deployed. Although Shiloh was a
          > confusing battle for the soldiers, the regiments were subordinate to
          > their brigades and many of them stayed with their brigades. Therefore,
          > I recommend you study the brigade movements to better understand the
          > regimental deployments.
          > Best sources for information are the Trailhead Graphics map available
          > at the Shiloh book store, The book by Major David Reed and the plaques
          > placed on the battlefield, again the work of Major Reed. Major Reed's
          > work was based on interviews of the veterans of the battle, men who
          > were there. I have studied this subject and can help you by private e-
          > mail if you wish. This is a vast subject to try to list in a post.
          > Books by Cunningham, Daniel, Sword will be helpful as well.
          > Hope this helps, please e-mail if I can help you
          > Ron

        • Harry Smeltzer
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 3, 2007

            Try this link:

            http://www.civilwarlandscapes.org/cwla/states/tn/sh/tm_time/sh_day1f.htm

            Great maps.

            Harry

            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 3, 2007
              Your message

              To: civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com
              Cc: Gentsch, James
              Subject: 10/3/2007 10:01 AM

              was read on 10/3/2007 2:50 PM.
            • Carl Williams
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 4, 2007
                well, I can see we are going to have a whole bunch of riveting
                messages this month [g].

                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 4, 2007
                  wow, nice map resource, Harry, thanks!
                  This'll go in our "links" in the maps folder.
                  the below like a page with the full menu:

                  http://www.civilwarlandscapes.org/cwla/choose/battlef.htm

                  --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Harry Smeltzer" <hjs21@...> wrote:

                  > Try this link:
                  >
                  > http://www.civilwarlandscapes.org/cwla/states/tn/sh/tm_time/sh_day1f.htm
                  >
                  > Great maps.
                  >
                  > Harry

                • gnrljejohnston
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 7, 2007
                    --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "jgillen94" <jgillen94@...> wrote:

                    > Looking for a source showing the positions by brigade or regiment of
                    > Union forces at the start of battle of Shiloh. Have the West Point
                    > Atlas maps but they only show divisions. Also is there book or
                    article
                    > dealing with the action in the "Hornet's Nest" and it's importance in
                    > the battle.

                    Try this site to answer your post.. I found it to be great for it even
                    breaks it down to the regiment level.

                    http://www.civilwarlandscapes.org/cwla/states/tn/sh/tm_time/sh_day1f.htm

                    JEJ
                  • jgillen94
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 8, 2007
                      Thanks the maps are great. I printed them all out and am sure they will
                      help in my research.
                      Jim