Re: Union positions 1st Day Shiloh

  • James W. Durney
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 3, 2007
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "jgillen94" <jgillen94@...> wrote:

      > Looking for a source showing the positions by brigade or regiment of
      > Union forces at the start of battle of Shiloh. Have the West Point
      > Atlas maps but they only show divisions. Also is there book or
      article
      > dealing with the action in the "Hornet's Nest" and it's importance in
      > the battle.

      Isn't the importance of the Hornet's Nest starting to be questioned?
      My understanding is that they are starting to rethink that action as
      the major fight.

      James
    • SDE80@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 3, 2007
        In a message dated 10/3/2007 1:07:31 PM Eastern Daylight Time, JWD2044@... writes:

        Isn't the importance of the Hornet's Nest starting to be questioned?
        My understanding is that they are starting to rethink that action as
        the major fight.

        Tim's Smith's essay book on Shiloh has a chapter entitled the "Myths of Shiloh" or something of that nature that addresses that.  Also, Stacy Allen did a couple of issues of Blue and Gray about 8-10 years ago on Shiloh that addressed that as well.  In both instances, they conclude the Hornet's Nest action is not what is popularly described.

        Sam Elliott

        **************************************
        See what's new at http://www.aol.com
      • Ron Black
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 3, 2007
          --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "jgillen94" <jgillen94@...> wrote:

          > Looking for a source showing the positions by brigade or regiment of
          > Union forces at the start of battle of Shiloh. Have the West Point
          > Atlas maps but they only show divisions. Also is there book or
          article
          > dealing with the action in the "Hornet's Nest" and it's importance in
          > the battle.

          A difficult question to answer as no single source exists that I'm
          aware of that shows the positions, neatly laid out as a map would.
          Remember that the union regiments went into the battle at various
          times, so time is a factor in answering your question. An example is
          Prentiss's division, Peabody's brigade was in action about 6:oo am and
          Miller's brigade was attacked about 8:00 am. So a 6 am map would show
          elements of Peabody's brigade fighting near the Fraley and Seay fields
          and Miller's brigade still in camp above the Spain field. At the start
          of the battle three of the five union divisions were still in their
          camps. They moved up at various times and took a position in an order
          not the same in which they were camped. You should study the location
          of the union camp sites. This will show you where they had to march
          from and give clues to where they deployed. Although Shiloh was a
          confusing battle for the soldiers, the regiments were subordinate to
          their brigades and many of them stayed with their brigades. Therefore,
          I recommend you study the brigade movements to better understand the
          regimental deployments.
          Best sources for information are the Trailhead Graphics map available
          at the Shiloh book store, The book by Major David Reed and the plaques
          placed on the battlefield, again the work of Major Reed. Major Reed's
          work was based on interviews of the veterans of the battle, men who
          were there. I have studied this subject and can help you by private e-
          mail if you wish. This is a vast subject to try to list in a post.
          Books by Cunningham, Daniel, Sword will be helpful as well.
          Hope this helps, please e-mail if I can help you
          Ron
        • Tom Mix
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 3, 2007
            Your message

            To: civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com
            Cc: Gentsch, James
            Subject: 10/3/2007 9:01 AM

            was read on 10/3/2007 1:30 PM.
          • GT Williams
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 3, 2007
              I agree that you need to consult Reed. the Reed maps are the best source that is readily available that will show Brigade locations on both days.
              --
              Greg Williams

              ---- Ron Black <rblack0981@...> wrote:
              > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "jgillen94" <jgillen94@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Looking for a source showing the positions by brigade or regiment of
              > > Union forces at the start of battle of Shiloh. Have the West Point
              > > Atlas maps but they only show divisions. Also is there book or
              > article
              > > dealing with the action in the "Hornet's Nest" and it's importance in
              > > the battle.
              > >
              > A difficult question to answer as no single source exists that I'm
              > aware of that shows the positions, neatly laid out as a map would.
              > Remember that the union regiments went into the battle at various
              > times, so time is a factor in answering your question. An example is
              > Prentiss's division, Peabody's brigade was in action about 6:oo am and
              > Miller's brigade was attacked about 8:00 am. So a 6 am map would show
              > elements of Peabody's brigade fighting near the Fraley and Seay fields
              > and Miller's brigade still in camp above the Spain field. At the start
              > of the battle three of the five union divisions were still in their
              > camps. They moved up at various times and took a position in an order
              > not the same in which they were camped. You should study the location
              > of the union camp sites. This will show you where they had to march
              > from and give clues to where they deployed. Although Shiloh was a
              > confusing battle for the soldiers, the regiments were subordinate to
              > their brigades and many of them stayed with their brigades. Therefore,
              > I recommend you study the brigade movements to better understand the
              > regimental deployments.
              > Best sources for information are the Trailhead Graphics map available
              > at the Shiloh book store, The book by Major David Reed and the plaques
              > placed on the battlefield, again the work of Major Reed. Major Reed's
              > work was based on interviews of the veterans of the battle, men who
              > were there. I have studied this subject and can help you by private e-
              > mail if you wish. This is a vast subject to try to list in a post.
              > Books by Cunningham, Daniel, Sword will be helpful as well.
              > Hope this helps, please e-mail if I can help you
              > Ron

            • Harry Smeltzer
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 3, 2007

                Try this link:

                http://www.civilwarlandscapes.org/cwla/states/tn/sh/tm_time/sh_day1f.htm

                Great maps.

                Harry

                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 3, 2007
                  Your message

                  To: civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com
                  Cc: Gentsch, James
                  Subject: 10/3/2007 10:01 AM

                  was read on 10/3/2007 2:50 PM.
                • Carl Williams
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 4, 2007
                    well, I can see we are going to have a whole bunch of riveting
                    messages this month [g].

                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 4, 2007
                      wow, nice map resource, Harry, thanks!
                      This'll go in our "links" in the maps folder.
                      the below like a page with the full menu:

                      http://www.civilwarlandscapes.org/cwla/choose/battlef.htm

                      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Harry Smeltzer" <hjs21@...> wrote:

                      > Try this link:
                      >
                      > http://www.civilwarlandscapes.org/cwla/states/tn/sh/tm_time/sh_day1f.htm
                      >
                      > Great maps.
                      >
                      > Harry

                    • gnrljejohnston
                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 7, 2007
                        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "jgillen94" <jgillen94@...> wrote:

                        > Looking for a source showing the positions by brigade or regiment of
                        > Union forces at the start of battle of Shiloh. Have the West Point
                        > Atlas maps but they only show divisions. Also is there book or
                        article
                        > dealing with the action in the "Hornet's Nest" and it's importance in
                        > the battle.

                        Try this site to answer your post.. I found it to be great for it even
                        breaks it down to the regiment level.

                        http://www.civilwarlandscapes.org/cwla/states/tn/sh/tm_time/sh_day1f.htm

                        JEJ
                      • jgillen94
                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 8, 2007
                          Thanks the maps are great. I printed them all out and am sure they will
                          help in my research.
                          Jim