Union positions 1st Day Shiloh

  • jgillen94
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 2, 2007
      Looking for a source showing the positions by brigade or regiment of
      Union forces at the start of battle of Shiloh. Have the West Point
      Atlas maps but they only show divisions. Also is there book or article
      dealing with the action in the "Hornet's Nest" and it's importance in
      the battle.
    • Pittman, Walter E.
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 3, 2007
        Try Dr. James Gentsch at the Univ of West Alabama ( jgentsch@... ) He knows the positions of units during the Battle as well as anyone. Earl Pittman

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 3, 2007
          --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "jgillen94" <jgillen94@...> wrote:

          > Looking for a source showing the positions by brigade or regiment of
          > Union forces at the start of battle of Shiloh. Have the West Point
          > Atlas maps but they only show divisions. Also is there book or
          article
          > dealing with the action in the "Hornet's Nest" and it's importance in
          > the battle.

          Isn't the importance of the Hornet's Nest starting to be questioned?
          My understanding is that they are starting to rethink that action as
          the major fight.

          James
        • SDE80@aol.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 3, 2007
            In a message dated 10/3/2007 1:07:31 PM Eastern Daylight Time, JWD2044@... writes:

            Isn't the importance of the Hornet's Nest starting to be questioned?
            My understanding is that they are starting to rethink that action as
            the major fight.

            Tim's Smith's essay book on Shiloh has a chapter entitled the "Myths of Shiloh" or something of that nature that addresses that.  Also, Stacy Allen did a couple of issues of Blue and Gray about 8-10 years ago on Shiloh that addressed that as well.  In both instances, they conclude the Hornet's Nest action is not what is popularly described.

            Sam Elliott

            **************************************
            See what's new at http://www.aol.com
          • Ron Black
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 3, 2007
              --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "jgillen94" <jgillen94@...> wrote:

              > Looking for a source showing the positions by brigade or regiment of
              > Union forces at the start of battle of Shiloh. Have the West Point
              > Atlas maps but they only show divisions. Also is there book or
              article
              > dealing with the action in the "Hornet's Nest" and it's importance in
              > the battle.

              A difficult question to answer as no single source exists that I'm
              aware of that shows the positions, neatly laid out as a map would.
              Remember that the union regiments went into the battle at various
              times, so time is a factor in answering your question. An example is
              Prentiss's division, Peabody's brigade was in action about 6:oo am and
              Miller's brigade was attacked about 8:00 am. So a 6 am map would show
              elements of Peabody's brigade fighting near the Fraley and Seay fields
              and Miller's brigade still in camp above the Spain field. At the start
              of the battle three of the five union divisions were still in their
              camps. They moved up at various times and took a position in an order
              not the same in which they were camped. You should study the location
              of the union camp sites. This will show you where they had to march
              from and give clues to where they deployed. Although Shiloh was a
              confusing battle for the soldiers, the regiments were subordinate to
              their brigades and many of them stayed with their brigades. Therefore,
              I recommend you study the brigade movements to better understand the
              regimental deployments.
              Best sources for information are the Trailhead Graphics map available
              at the Shiloh book store, The book by Major David Reed and the plaques
              placed on the battlefield, again the work of Major Reed. Major Reed's
              work was based on interviews of the veterans of the battle, men who
              were there. I have studied this subject and can help you by private e-
              mail if you wish. This is a vast subject to try to list in a post.
              Books by Cunningham, Daniel, Sword will be helpful as well.
              Hope this helps, please e-mail if I can help you
              Ron
            • Tom Mix
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 3, 2007
                Your message

                To: civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com
                Cc: Gentsch, James
                Subject: 10/3/2007 9:01 AM

                was read on 10/3/2007 1:30 PM.
              • GT Williams
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 3, 2007
                  I agree that you need to consult Reed. the Reed maps are the best source that is readily available that will show Brigade locations on both days.
                  --
                  Greg Williams

                  ---- Ron Black <rblack0981@...> wrote:
                  > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "jgillen94" <jgillen94@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Looking for a source showing the positions by brigade or regiment of
                  > > Union forces at the start of battle of Shiloh. Have the West Point
                  > > Atlas maps but they only show divisions. Also is there book or
                  > article
                  > > dealing with the action in the "Hornet's Nest" and it's importance in
                  > > the battle.
                  > >
                  > A difficult question to answer as no single source exists that I'm
                  > aware of that shows the positions, neatly laid out as a map would.
                  > Remember that the union regiments went into the battle at various
                  > times, so time is a factor in answering your question. An example is
                  > Prentiss's division, Peabody's brigade was in action about 6:oo am and
                  > Miller's brigade was attacked about 8:00 am. So a 6 am map would show
                  > elements of Peabody's brigade fighting near the Fraley and Seay fields
                  > and Miller's brigade still in camp above the Spain field. At the start
                  > of the battle three of the five union divisions were still in their
                  > camps. They moved up at various times and took a position in an order
                  > not the same in which they were camped. You should study the location
                  > of the union camp sites. This will show you where they had to march
                  > from and give clues to where they deployed. Although Shiloh was a
                  > confusing battle for the soldiers, the regiments were subordinate to
                  > their brigades and many of them stayed with their brigades. Therefore,
                  > I recommend you study the brigade movements to better understand the
                  > regimental deployments.
                  > Best sources for information are the Trailhead Graphics map available
                  > at the Shiloh book store, The book by Major David Reed and the plaques
                  > placed on the battlefield, again the work of Major Reed. Major Reed's
                  > work was based on interviews of the veterans of the battle, men who
                  > were there. I have studied this subject and can help you by private e-
                  > mail if you wish. This is a vast subject to try to list in a post.
                  > Books by Cunningham, Daniel, Sword will be helpful as well.
                  > Hope this helps, please e-mail if I can help you
                  > Ron

                • Harry Smeltzer
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 3, 2007

                    Try this link:

                    http://www.civilwarlandscapes.org/cwla/states/tn/sh/tm_time/sh_day1f.htm

                    Great maps.

                    Harry

                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 3, 2007
                      Your message

                      To: civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com
                      Cc: Gentsch, James
                      Subject: 10/3/2007 10:01 AM

                      was read on 10/3/2007 2:50 PM.
                    • Carl Williams
                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 4, 2007
                        well, I can see we are going to have a whole bunch of riveting
                        messages this month [g].

                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 4, 2007
                          wow, nice map resource, Harry, thanks!
                          This'll go in our "links" in the maps folder.
                          the below like a page with the full menu:

                          http://www.civilwarlandscapes.org/cwla/choose/battlef.htm

                          --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Harry Smeltzer" <hjs21@...> wrote:

                          > Try this link:
                          >
                          > http://www.civilwarlandscapes.org/cwla/states/tn/sh/tm_time/sh_day1f.htm
                          >
                          > Great maps.
                          >
                          > Harry

                        • gnrljejohnston
                          Message 12 of 13 , Oct 7, 2007
                            --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "jgillen94" <jgillen94@...> wrote:

                            > Looking for a source showing the positions by brigade or regiment of
                            > Union forces at the start of battle of Shiloh. Have the West Point
                            > Atlas maps but they only show divisions. Also is there book or
                            article
                            > dealing with the action in the "Hornet's Nest" and it's importance in
                            > the battle.

                            Try this site to answer your post.. I found it to be great for it even
                            breaks it down to the regiment level.

                            http://www.civilwarlandscapes.org/cwla/states/tn/sh/tm_time/sh_day1f.htm

                            JEJ
                          • jgillen94
                            Message 13 of 13 , Oct 8, 2007
                              Thanks the maps are great. I printed them all out and am sure they will
                              help in my research.
                              Jim