Re: [civilwarwest] Ohioans in the Civil War

  • rbaquero@netzero.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 2, 2007

       Hi Mr Bissland !

                             I want to thank you for this information regarding your work on Civil War, your book looks to me very interesting and I'm planning to ge it also, as a Cuban-American I feel strongly concern abaut  what happened during those tragic years of 1861-65 to the American families and non americans like the Cubans living in this country and wht they did :

                   www.latinamericanstudies.org then click ; Cubans in the U.S. Civil War ( 1861-65 )

                         One of them was a Confederate General Ambrosio Jose Gonzales, good friend of Gen G.P.T. Beauregard, and the Officer in charge of the Department of Artillery for the States of S.Carolina, N. Carolina, Georgia and Florida .

                                        Your humble servant .

      - Raul Hernandez-Baquero
        RBAQUERO@...
        Florida

    • gnrljejohnston
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 7, 2007
        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "jbissla" <gabriel@...> wrote:

        > As an Ohioan (as well as a Western Theater devotee), I am most
        > interested in the key roles Ohioans played in the Civil War. To
        > generate more useful discussion about this, I recently established a
        > blog with daily posts reporting the war, day by historical day, as it
        > was experienced by Ohioans. Your comments, criticisms, and
        suggestions
        > are invited on http://www.bloodtearsandglory.blogspot.com/ While I
        hope
        > readers will enjoy the day-to-day account of Ohioans at war, I also
        > hope to learn a great deal from readers' comments. Fire away!
        >
        > Jim Bissland, Bowling Green, Ohio

        I only wish that someone would write a decent biography of the 46th
        Ohio rather than the vindictive writings of Col. Thomas Worthington.
        He was cashiered by Sherman, only to have it reversed as a result of
        his political connections. If only Brig. General Charles Walcutt had
        written the regiment's biography, for he truly was a leader where
        Worthington was nothing but a bragging know-it-all. For example,
        Worthington described Col Stephen Hicks of the 40th Illinois as an
        illiterate bumbling fool, whereas Hicks was a well known lawyer in
        Illinois that practice law along with Lincoln. Hardly an individual
        that was illiterate. The 46th deserves better than Worthington.

        JEJ