Ohioans in the Civil War

  • jbissla
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2007
      As an Ohioan (as well as a Western Theater devotee), I am most
      interested in the key roles Ohioans played in the Civil War. To
      generate more useful discussion about this, I recently established a
      blog with daily posts reporting the war, day by historical day, as it
      was experienced by Ohioans. Your comments, criticisms, and suggestions
      are invited on http://www.bloodtearsandglory.blogspot.com/ While I hope
      readers will enjoy the day-to-day account of Ohioans at war, I also
      hope to learn a great deal from readers' comments. Fire away!

      Jim Bissland, Bowling Green, Ohio
    • rbaquero@netzero.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 2, 2007

         Hi Mr Bissland !

                               I want to thank you for this information regarding your work on Civil War, your book looks to me very interesting and I'm planning to ge it also, as a Cuban-American I feel strongly concern abaut  what happened during those tragic years of 1861-65 to the American families and non americans like the Cubans living in this country and wht they did :

                     www.latinamericanstudies.org then click ; Cubans in the U.S. Civil War ( 1861-65 )

                           One of them was a Confederate General Ambrosio Jose Gonzales, good friend of Gen G.P.T. Beauregard, and the Officer in charge of the Department of Artillery for the States of S.Carolina, N. Carolina, Georgia and Florida .

                                          Your humble servant .

        - Raul Hernandez-Baquero
          RBAQUERO@...
          Florida

      • gnrljejohnston
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 7, 2007
          --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "jbissla" <gabriel@...> wrote:

          > As an Ohioan (as well as a Western Theater devotee), I am most
          > interested in the key roles Ohioans played in the Civil War. To
          > generate more useful discussion about this, I recently established a
          > blog with daily posts reporting the war, day by historical day, as it
          > was experienced by Ohioans. Your comments, criticisms, and
          suggestions
          > are invited on http://www.bloodtearsandglory.blogspot.com/ While I
          hope
          > readers will enjoy the day-to-day account of Ohioans at war, I also
          > hope to learn a great deal from readers' comments. Fire away!
          >
          > Jim Bissland, Bowling Green, Ohio

          I only wish that someone would write a decent biography of the 46th
          Ohio rather than the vindictive writings of Col. Thomas Worthington.
          He was cashiered by Sherman, only to have it reversed as a result of
          his political connections. If only Brig. General Charles Walcutt had
          written the regiment's biography, for he truly was a leader where
          Worthington was nothing but a bragging know-it-all. For example,
          Worthington described Col Stephen Hicks of the 40th Illinois as an
          illiterate bumbling fool, whereas Hicks was a well known lawyer in
          Illinois that practice law along with Lincoln. Hardly an individual
          that was illiterate. The 46th deserves better than Worthington.

          JEJ