Re: *snort*

  • Tony Gunter
    Message 1 of 44 , Sep 25, 2007

      > I believe the council for the defense hauled himself up on his hind
      > legs and croaked out "I object" on that one.
      >
      > Nonetheless, we remain grateful for the focus of the publisher.... I
      > would think you would be, too, with your War-in-Mississippi
      > interest.

      True. The strange thing is, I probably wouldn't have disagreed with
      him too strongly at the time, not really having put a magnifying
      glass to McClernand. A detailed look at Port Gibson alone would
      change his mind, I believe.

      Anything good that McClernand accomplished tactically in the
      Vicksburg Campaign was by the initiative of his men. Eugene Carr,
      especially, I have become a huge fan of. Carr devised the initial
      turning movement at Magnolia Church at Port Gibson, and the assault
      the won Big Black River Bridge.
    • Tony Gunter
      Message 44 of 44 , Sep 25, 2007