Yellowhammer, was 19th Alabama Infantry Regiment

  • ks
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 16, 2007
      I certainly had no idea of what you referred to...until I Googled.  :)  Thanks, Tony.

      Pat

      History: The common flicker is the State Bird of Alabama. Alabama has been known as the "Yellowhammer State" since the Civil War. The yellowhammer nickname was applied to the Confederate soldiers from Alabama when a company of young cavalry soldiers from Huntsville, under the command of Rev. D.C. Kelly, arrived at Hopkinsville, KY, where Gen. Forrest's troops were stationed. The officers and men of the Huntsville company wore fine, new uniforms, whereas the soldiers who had long been on the battlefields were dressed in faded, worn uniforms. On the sleeves, collars and coattails of the new calvary troop were bits of brilliant yellow cloth. As the company rode past Company A , Will Arnett cried out in greeting "Yellowhammer, Yellowhammer, flicker, flicker!" The greeting brought a roar of laughter from the men and from that moment the Huntsville soldiers were spoken of as the "yellowhammer company." The term quickly spread throughout the Confederate Army and all Alabama troops were referred to unofficially as the "Yellowhammers."

      When the Confederate Veterans in Alabama were organized they took pride in being referred to as the "Yellowhammers" and wore a yellowhammer feather in their caps or lapels during reunions.

      Alabama Department of Archives & History

      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 16, 2007
        Sam Watkins in his fine memoir tells of the AL troops in Tenn chanting, "Yellow Hammer, Yellow Hammer, Give them Hell Alabama." This is still the final insulting cheer used by the Univ of Alabama fans when they win a football game with an additional verse. Used since at least the 1920's it was banned decades ago by the Univ Admin to absolutely no avail. ROLL TIDE
        Earl Pittman

        ________________________________

        > I am writing a paper on the 19th Ala. Infantry. Asking
        > for anyone interested -- descendants of soldiers,
        > reinactors, researchers, writers, etc. to contact me.
        >
        > Thank you.

        So what's the origin of yello-whammer?
      • ga.rules
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 16, 2007
          Here's a link to an interesting rendition of a
          yellowhammer.

          http://www.outdooralabama.com/watchable-wildlife/birding-trails/birdingInfo.cfm

          Hey, don't forget the Alabama 19th Infantry regiment
          that started this thread.

          Glenda

        • lilsteve68@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 16, 2007
            Roll Tide !!! Earl

            Univ Of Alabama has  some Civil war History  to it as well .

            Most of the compus was burned  in early 1865.

            i always though a interesting book would be  one on companies that were formed from Universitys..

            Such as (University of Mississippi) the "University grays" co. a of the 11th mississippi  .. i dont rrecall the unit from the University Of Alabama  but i think they were Cadets.

            steven