Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Stealing the General

  • NPeters102@aol.com
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 1, 2007
      In a message dated 9/2/2007 12:55:28 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, DORR64OVI@... writes:
      Correct again Mike.  Have you read it?  Its a nice companion to the Hinman regimental history, "The Sherman Brigade"
      Kent,

      A nice read! I got a copy at one of the Columbus Half Price book stores.

      Respectfully,

      Mike Peters
      npeters102@...

    • russellsbonds
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 2, 2007
        Raiders who did not receive the MOH:

        James Andrews (civilian)
        William Campbell (civilian)
        Charles P. Shadrach
        George D. Wilson
        Samuel Llewelyn (never sought the award; he did not participate in
        the theft of the General and apparently believed he did not deserve
        the medal)

        Kind regards,
        R.S. Bonds

        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Hall" <Tunnelhill@...>
        wrote:

        > Mr. Bonds,
        > Do you have a list of the members of the raid who have not
        received the Medal of Honor? If so, I would greatly appreciate it
        if you could send me a copy. I have been in a dispute with the
        museum in Kennesaw concerning the Medal of Honor in that they have
        the pictures of ALL of the raiders on their wall and have a picture
        of the MOH under ALL of them. Whether or not any of the men who did
        not receive the medal deserve it, or will get it, my position is
        that if they have not received it, the medal should not be pictured
        with them on this wall. As a matter of fact, if they would remove
        the pictures from the ones who do not have the medal, it would help
        those seeking the medal for these men in that the public would be
        made more aware of the fact that not all of them have received it.
        > I will be conducting tours this coming weekend at Tunnel Hill
        and the locomotive chase is, of course, part of the history I tell
        about and a listing of those who did not receive the medal would be
        of great use to me. I can also use this chance to let people know
        which ones did not receive it, and why.

        > Any help would be greatly appreciated, and I invite you and anyone
        else who is in the area to come to Tunnel Hill Sept. 8-9 for our
        annual War Between the States reenactment.

        > Steve Hall - Commander
        > Lt. Col. William Luffman Camp #938
        > Sons of Confederate Veterans
        > Chatsworth, Georgia

        As
        > for your question on Andrews raider Pvt. Shadrach: Charles
        > P. "Perry" Shadrach (or Shadrack, in some versions) was the
        young
        > private's nom de guerre; he was born Philip Gephart Shadrach,
        but
        > hated his name because his older brother teased him and called
        > him "Flip." (See pp. 51-52 and accompanying notes in my book for
        > more on Shadrach). I'm not sure that he "ran away" to enlist;
        > rather, I think he simply took the opportunity at enlistment
        time to
        > change the name he disliked.
        >
        > It appears that Pvt. Shadrach wasn't awarded the MOH for the
        simple
        > reason that no one ever sought it on his behalf. However, I'm
        told
        > that an effort is underway, led by certain members of the
        > Congressional Medal of Honor Historical Society, to obtain the
        Medal
        > of Honor for Shadrach and fellow raider George D. Wilson. I'm
        not
        > sure where this stands; the last I heard it had the support of
        Sen.
        > Voinovich's office and (supposedly) had been approved through
        the
        > entire chain of command up to the White House.
        >
        > With best regards,
        > Russell Bonds
        > Marietta, Georgia
        >
        > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, DORR64OVI@ wrote:
        > >
        > > In a message dated 8/30/2007 5:07:25 P.M. Eastern Daylight
        Time,

        (http://www.stealingthegeneral.com)

        > > Mr Bonds....I was very pleased with your work on the Andrews
        > Raid. It was
        > > well researched and was a needed addition to Civil War
        libraries.
        > A number of
        > > years ago when I first got interested in CW reenacting the
        study
        > of the
        > > conflict, a co-worker of mine brought the Raid to my attention
        for
        > a personal
        > > reason. She claimed to be a relative of Perry Shadrachs and
        > related to me a
        > > story about his not receiving the MOH. IIRC, the story was
        that
        > he had enlisted
        > > under a false name as he had run away to join. Your book makes
        > no mention
        > > of this and I was wondering if you had come across this tale
        in
        > your research?
        > >
        > > Kent Dorr
        > >

        > > ************************************** Get a sneak peek of the
        all-
        > new AOL at
        > > http://discover.aol.com/memed/aolcom30tour

      • Steve Hall
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 2, 2007
          Thanks,
              This will be great for my talks this weekend!

          wrote:

          > Mr. Bonds,
          > Do you have a list of the members of the raid who have not
          received the Medal of Honor? If so, I would greatly appreciate it
          if you could send me a copy. I have been in a dispute with the
          museum in Kennesaw concerning the Medal of Honor in that they have
          the pictures of ALL of the raiders on their wall and have a picture
          of the MOH under ALL of them. Whether or not any of the men who did
          not receive the medal deserve it, or will get it, my position is
          that if they have not received it, the medal should not be pictured
          with them on this wall. As a matter of fact, if they would remove
          the pictures from the ones who do not have the medal, it would help
          those seeking the medal for these men in that the public would be
          made more aware of the fact that not all of them have received it.
          > I will be conducting tours this coming weekend at Tunnel Hill
          and the locomotive chase is, of course, part of the history I tell
          about and a listing of those who did not receive the medal would be
          of great use to me. I can also use this chance to let people know
          which ones did not receive it, and why.

          > Any help would be greatly appreciated, and I invite you and anyone
          else who is in the area to come to Tunnel Hill Sept. 8-9 for our
          annual War Between the States reenactment.

          > Steve Hall - Commander
          > Lt. Col. William Luffman Camp #938
          > Sons of Confederate Veterans
          > Chatsworth, Georgia

        • Richard Lee
          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 2, 2007
            Was Wilson also called Alf? I have a friend who is
            related to Alf Wilson, the coal tender on the train.

            Rich Lee
          • russellsbonds
            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 2, 2007
              There were two Wilsons on the raid: George D. Wilson, and J.
              Alfred "Alf" Wilson. (No relation.)

              Regards,
              Russell Bonds

              --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, Richard Lee <gentlei@...> wrote:

              > Was Wilson also called Alf? I have a friend who is
              > related to Alf Wilson, the coal tender on the train.
              >
              > Rich Lee

            • Richard Lee
              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 3, 2007
                Thanks!