Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Stealing the General

  • DORR64OVI@aol.com
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 1, 2007
      In a message dated 9/2/2007 12:52:57 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, NPeters102@... writes:

      In a message dated 9/2/2007 12:33:29 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, DORR64OVI@aol. com writes:
      A number of years ago, Sherrods brother Charles had their great grandfathers memoirs published.
      Kent,

      "The Sherman Brigade Moves South: The CW Memoirs of Col. Robert Carlson Brown."

      Respectfully,

      Mike Peters
      npeters102@aol. com
      Correct again Mike.  Have you read it?  Its a nice companion to the Hinman regimental history, "The Sherman Brigade"

      Kent Dorr

    • NPeters102@aol.com
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 1, 2007
        In a message dated 9/2/2007 12:55:28 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, DORR64OVI@... writes:
        Correct again Mike.  Have you read it?  Its a nice companion to the Hinman regimental history, "The Sherman Brigade"
        Kent,

        A nice read! I got a copy at one of the Columbus Half Price book stores.

        Respectfully,

        Mike Peters
        npeters102@...

      • russellsbonds
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 2, 2007
          Raiders who did not receive the MOH:

          James Andrews (civilian)
          William Campbell (civilian)
          Charles P. Shadrach
          George D. Wilson
          Samuel Llewelyn (never sought the award; he did not participate in
          the theft of the General and apparently believed he did not deserve
          the medal)

          Kind regards,
          R.S. Bonds

          --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Hall" <Tunnelhill@...>
          wrote:

          > Mr. Bonds,
          > Do you have a list of the members of the raid who have not
          received the Medal of Honor? If so, I would greatly appreciate it
          if you could send me a copy. I have been in a dispute with the
          museum in Kennesaw concerning the Medal of Honor in that they have
          the pictures of ALL of the raiders on their wall and have a picture
          of the MOH under ALL of them. Whether or not any of the men who did
          not receive the medal deserve it, or will get it, my position is
          that if they have not received it, the medal should not be pictured
          with them on this wall. As a matter of fact, if they would remove
          the pictures from the ones who do not have the medal, it would help
          those seeking the medal for these men in that the public would be
          made more aware of the fact that not all of them have received it.
          > I will be conducting tours this coming weekend at Tunnel Hill
          and the locomotive chase is, of course, part of the history I tell
          about and a listing of those who did not receive the medal would be
          of great use to me. I can also use this chance to let people know
          which ones did not receive it, and why.

          > Any help would be greatly appreciated, and I invite you and anyone
          else who is in the area to come to Tunnel Hill Sept. 8-9 for our
          annual War Between the States reenactment.

          > Steve Hall - Commander
          > Lt. Col. William Luffman Camp #938
          > Sons of Confederate Veterans
          > Chatsworth, Georgia

          As
          > for your question on Andrews raider Pvt. Shadrach: Charles
          > P. "Perry" Shadrach (or Shadrack, in some versions) was the
          young
          > private's nom de guerre; he was born Philip Gephart Shadrach,
          but
          > hated his name because his older brother teased him and called
          > him "Flip." (See pp. 51-52 and accompanying notes in my book for
          > more on Shadrach). I'm not sure that he "ran away" to enlist;
          > rather, I think he simply took the opportunity at enlistment
          time to
          > change the name he disliked.
          >
          > It appears that Pvt. Shadrach wasn't awarded the MOH for the
          simple
          > reason that no one ever sought it on his behalf. However, I'm
          told
          > that an effort is underway, led by certain members of the
          > Congressional Medal of Honor Historical Society, to obtain the
          Medal
          > of Honor for Shadrach and fellow raider George D. Wilson. I'm
          not
          > sure where this stands; the last I heard it had the support of
          Sen.
          > Voinovich's office and (supposedly) had been approved through
          the
          > entire chain of command up to the White House.
          >
          > With best regards,
          > Russell Bonds
          > Marietta, Georgia
          >
          > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, DORR64OVI@ wrote:
          > >
          > > In a message dated 8/30/2007 5:07:25 P.M. Eastern Daylight
          Time,

          (http://www.stealingthegeneral.com)

          > > Mr Bonds....I was very pleased with your work on the Andrews
          > Raid. It was
          > > well researched and was a needed addition to Civil War
          libraries.
          > A number of
          > > years ago when I first got interested in CW reenacting the
          study
          > of the
          > > conflict, a co-worker of mine brought the Raid to my attention
          for
          > a personal
          > > reason. She claimed to be a relative of Perry Shadrachs and
          > related to me a
          > > story about his not receiving the MOH. IIRC, the story was
          that
          > he had enlisted
          > > under a false name as he had run away to join. Your book makes
          > no mention
          > > of this and I was wondering if you had come across this tale
          in
          > your research?
          > >
          > > Kent Dorr
          > >

          > > ************************************** Get a sneak peek of the
          all-
          > new AOL at
          > > http://discover.aol.com/memed/aolcom30tour

        • Steve Hall
          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 2, 2007
            Thanks,
                This will be great for my talks this weekend!

            wrote:

            > Mr. Bonds,
            > Do you have a list of the members of the raid who have not
            received the Medal of Honor? If so, I would greatly appreciate it
            if you could send me a copy. I have been in a dispute with the
            museum in Kennesaw concerning the Medal of Honor in that they have
            the pictures of ALL of the raiders on their wall and have a picture
            of the MOH under ALL of them. Whether or not any of the men who did
            not receive the medal deserve it, or will get it, my position is
            that if they have not received it, the medal should not be pictured
            with them on this wall. As a matter of fact, if they would remove
            the pictures from the ones who do not have the medal, it would help
            those seeking the medal for these men in that the public would be
            made more aware of the fact that not all of them have received it.
            > I will be conducting tours this coming weekend at Tunnel Hill
            and the locomotive chase is, of course, part of the history I tell
            about and a listing of those who did not receive the medal would be
            of great use to me. I can also use this chance to let people know
            which ones did not receive it, and why.

            > Any help would be greatly appreciated, and I invite you and anyone
            else who is in the area to come to Tunnel Hill Sept. 8-9 for our
            annual War Between the States reenactment.

            > Steve Hall - Commander
            > Lt. Col. William Luffman Camp #938
            > Sons of Confederate Veterans
            > Chatsworth, Georgia

          • Richard Lee
            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 2, 2007
              Was Wilson also called Alf? I have a friend who is
              related to Alf Wilson, the coal tender on the train.

              Rich Lee
            • russellsbonds
              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 2, 2007
                There were two Wilsons on the raid: George D. Wilson, and J.
                Alfred "Alf" Wilson. (No relation.)

                Regards,
                Russell Bonds

                --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, Richard Lee <gentlei@...> wrote:

                > Was Wilson also called Alf? I have a friend who is
                > related to Alf Wilson, the coal tender on the train.
                >
                > Rich Lee

              • Richard Lee
                Message 7 of 19 , Sep 3, 2007
                  Thanks!