Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Stealing the General

  • DORR64OVI@aol.com
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 1, 2007
      In a message dated 9/2/2007 12:13:39 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, NPeters102@... writes:

      In a message dated 9/1/2007 8:49:39 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, DORR64OVI@aol. com writes:
      Ohio's new senator, Sherrod Brown descends from a Colonel of the 64th OVI and I would think we could enlist his support in the Senate.
      Kent,

      Sherrod Brown's ancestor was Colonel Robert Carson Brown.

      Respectfully,

      Mike Peters
      npeters102@aol. com
      Absolutely correct Mike.  A number of years ago, Sherrods brother Charles had their great grandfathers memoirs published.

      Kent Dorr

    • NPeters102@aol.com
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 1, 2007
        In a message dated 9/2/2007 12:33:29 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, DORR64OVI@... writes:
        A number of years ago, Sherrods brother Charles had their great grandfathers memoirs published.
        Kent,

        "The Sherman Brigade Moves South: The CW Memoirs of Col. Robert Carlson Brown."

        Respectfully,

        Mike Peters
        npeters102@...

      • DORR64OVI@aol.com
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 1, 2007
          In a message dated 9/2/2007 12:52:57 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, NPeters102@... writes:

          In a message dated 9/2/2007 12:33:29 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, DORR64OVI@aol. com writes:
          A number of years ago, Sherrods brother Charles had their great grandfathers memoirs published.
          Kent,

          "The Sherman Brigade Moves South: The CW Memoirs of Col. Robert Carlson Brown."

          Respectfully,

          Mike Peters
          npeters102@aol. com
          Correct again Mike.  Have you read it?  Its a nice companion to the Hinman regimental history, "The Sherman Brigade"

          Kent Dorr

        • NPeters102@aol.com
          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 1, 2007
            In a message dated 9/2/2007 12:55:28 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, DORR64OVI@... writes:
            Correct again Mike.  Have you read it?  Its a nice companion to the Hinman regimental history, "The Sherman Brigade"
            Kent,

            A nice read! I got a copy at one of the Columbus Half Price book stores.

            Respectfully,

            Mike Peters
            npeters102@...

          • russellsbonds
            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 2, 2007
              Raiders who did not receive the MOH:

              James Andrews (civilian)
              William Campbell (civilian)
              Charles P. Shadrach
              George D. Wilson
              Samuel Llewelyn (never sought the award; he did not participate in
              the theft of the General and apparently believed he did not deserve
              the medal)

              Kind regards,
              R.S. Bonds

              --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Hall" <Tunnelhill@...>
              wrote:

              > Mr. Bonds,
              > Do you have a list of the members of the raid who have not
              received the Medal of Honor? If so, I would greatly appreciate it
              if you could send me a copy. I have been in a dispute with the
              museum in Kennesaw concerning the Medal of Honor in that they have
              the pictures of ALL of the raiders on their wall and have a picture
              of the MOH under ALL of them. Whether or not any of the men who did
              not receive the medal deserve it, or will get it, my position is
              that if they have not received it, the medal should not be pictured
              with them on this wall. As a matter of fact, if they would remove
              the pictures from the ones who do not have the medal, it would help
              those seeking the medal for these men in that the public would be
              made more aware of the fact that not all of them have received it.
              > I will be conducting tours this coming weekend at Tunnel Hill
              and the locomotive chase is, of course, part of the history I tell
              about and a listing of those who did not receive the medal would be
              of great use to me. I can also use this chance to let people know
              which ones did not receive it, and why.

              > Any help would be greatly appreciated, and I invite you and anyone
              else who is in the area to come to Tunnel Hill Sept. 8-9 for our
              annual War Between the States reenactment.

              > Steve Hall - Commander
              > Lt. Col. William Luffman Camp #938
              > Sons of Confederate Veterans
              > Chatsworth, Georgia

              As
              > for your question on Andrews raider Pvt. Shadrach: Charles
              > P. "Perry" Shadrach (or Shadrack, in some versions) was the
              young
              > private's nom de guerre; he was born Philip Gephart Shadrach,
              but
              > hated his name because his older brother teased him and called
              > him "Flip." (See pp. 51-52 and accompanying notes in my book for
              > more on Shadrach). I'm not sure that he "ran away" to enlist;
              > rather, I think he simply took the opportunity at enlistment
              time to
              > change the name he disliked.
              >
              > It appears that Pvt. Shadrach wasn't awarded the MOH for the
              simple
              > reason that no one ever sought it on his behalf. However, I'm
              told
              > that an effort is underway, led by certain members of the
              > Congressional Medal of Honor Historical Society, to obtain the
              Medal
              > of Honor for Shadrach and fellow raider George D. Wilson. I'm
              not
              > sure where this stands; the last I heard it had the support of
              Sen.
              > Voinovich's office and (supposedly) had been approved through
              the
              > entire chain of command up to the White House.
              >
              > With best regards,
              > Russell Bonds
              > Marietta, Georgia
              >
              > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, DORR64OVI@ wrote:
              > >
              > > In a message dated 8/30/2007 5:07:25 P.M. Eastern Daylight
              Time,

              (http://www.stealingthegeneral.com)

              > > Mr Bonds....I was very pleased with your work on the Andrews
              > Raid. It was
              > > well researched and was a needed addition to Civil War
              libraries.
              > A number of
              > > years ago when I first got interested in CW reenacting the
              study
              > of the
              > > conflict, a co-worker of mine brought the Raid to my attention
              for
              > a personal
              > > reason. She claimed to be a relative of Perry Shadrachs and
              > related to me a
              > > story about his not receiving the MOH. IIRC, the story was
              that
              > he had enlisted
              > > under a false name as he had run away to join. Your book makes
              > no mention
              > > of this and I was wondering if you had come across this tale
              in
              > your research?
              > >
              > > Kent Dorr
              > >

              > > ************************************** Get a sneak peek of the
              all-
              > new AOL at
              > > http://discover.aol.com/memed/aolcom30tour

            • Steve Hall
              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 2, 2007
                Thanks,
                    This will be great for my talks this weekend!

                wrote:

                > Mr. Bonds,
                > Do you have a list of the members of the raid who have not
                received the Medal of Honor? If so, I would greatly appreciate it
                if you could send me a copy. I have been in a dispute with the
                museum in Kennesaw concerning the Medal of Honor in that they have
                the pictures of ALL of the raiders on their wall and have a picture
                of the MOH under ALL of them. Whether or not any of the men who did
                not receive the medal deserve it, or will get it, my position is
                that if they have not received it, the medal should not be pictured
                with them on this wall. As a matter of fact, if they would remove
                the pictures from the ones who do not have the medal, it would help
                those seeking the medal for these men in that the public would be
                made more aware of the fact that not all of them have received it.
                > I will be conducting tours this coming weekend at Tunnel Hill
                and the locomotive chase is, of course, part of the history I tell
                about and a listing of those who did not receive the medal would be
                of great use to me. I can also use this chance to let people know
                which ones did not receive it, and why.

                > Any help would be greatly appreciated, and I invite you and anyone
                else who is in the area to come to Tunnel Hill Sept. 8-9 for our
                annual War Between the States reenactment.

                > Steve Hall - Commander
                > Lt. Col. William Luffman Camp #938
                > Sons of Confederate Veterans
                > Chatsworth, Georgia

              • Richard Lee
                Message 7 of 19 , Sep 2, 2007
                  Was Wilson also called Alf? I have a friend who is
                  related to Alf Wilson, the coal tender on the train.

                  Rich Lee
                • russellsbonds
                  Message 8 of 19 , Sep 2, 2007
                    There were two Wilsons on the raid: George D. Wilson, and J.
                    Alfred "Alf" Wilson. (No relation.)

                    Regards,
                    Russell Bonds

                    --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, Richard Lee <gentlei@...> wrote:

                    > Was Wilson also called Alf? I have a friend who is
                    > related to Alf Wilson, the coal tender on the train.
                    >
                    > Rich Lee

                  • Richard Lee
                    Message 9 of 19 , Sep 3, 2007
                      Thanks!