Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Stealing the General

  • Steve Hall
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 1, 2007
      Bob,
          I agree that more of the land needs to be preserved, but we should not rely on the Federal Government to do this.  Here in the Tunnel Hill/Dalton area, we have stepped forward and gotten our local city and county governments involved.  As a result, we have restored the old railroad tunnel in Tunnel Hill, built a Heritage Center and Museum, have restored and preserved the Clisbe Austin house (Gen. Hood's hospital after Chickamauga, and Gen. Sherman's HQ) and have just acquired the original Tunnel Hill Depot.  We have also had a lot of help from the City of Dalton in restoring and protecting the Dalton Confederate Cemetery, the Dalton Depot, and the ONLY statue of Gen. Joseph E. Johnston.  The County has also stepped up in acquiring 625 acres of battlefield land on Buzzard's Roost!  (BTW, the fire up there is out and most of the underbrush went with it!)
          Yes, some of this was achieved in the end with Federal grants, but it took the local governments to step in and get the ball rolling.  Too many times when we want to preserve something we tend to go to the deepest pockets first, but if we can get the shallower pockets, the local governments, interested, they can tap sources further up the food chain a lot easier that we can with our preservation groups.  The 625 acres started out with state Green Space funds, which, along with local and private funds, was used to get federal matching funds to more than double the amount of land which could be purchased and protected.  The cities and county are looking at other land to protect at the present time as well.  They are keeping an eye out for other sources of funds which can be acquired by city and county governments for this type of project, funds that can not be acquired simply by going to the feds directly.

          Basically, it seems that much more can be done by working locally and getting your local governments interested since they have more resources to go after the federal money than any of the preservation groups have access to.

      Steve Hall - Commander
      Lt. Col. William Luffman Camp #938
      Sons of Confederate Veterans
      Chatsworth, Georgia
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 1, 2007
        In a message dated 9/1/2007 8:49:39 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, DORR64OVI@... writes:
        Ohio's new senator, Sherrod Brown descends from a Colonel of the 64th OVI and I would think we could enlist his support in the Senate.
        Kent,

        Sherrod Brown's ancestor was Colonel Robert Carson Brown.

        Respectfully,

        Mike Peters
        npeters102@...

      • DORR64OVI@aol.com
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 1, 2007
          In a message dated 9/2/2007 12:13:39 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, NPeters102@... writes:

          In a message dated 9/1/2007 8:49:39 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, DORR64OVI@aol. com writes:
          Ohio's new senator, Sherrod Brown descends from a Colonel of the 64th OVI and I would think we could enlist his support in the Senate.
          Kent,

          Sherrod Brown's ancestor was Colonel Robert Carson Brown.

          Respectfully,

          Mike Peters
          npeters102@aol. com
          Absolutely correct Mike.  A number of years ago, Sherrods brother Charles had their great grandfathers memoirs published.

          Kent Dorr

        • NPeters102@aol.com
          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 1, 2007
            In a message dated 9/2/2007 12:33:29 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, DORR64OVI@... writes:
            A number of years ago, Sherrods brother Charles had their great grandfathers memoirs published.
            Kent,

            "The Sherman Brigade Moves South: The CW Memoirs of Col. Robert Carlson Brown."

            Respectfully,

            Mike Peters
            npeters102@...

          • DORR64OVI@aol.com
            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 1, 2007
              In a message dated 9/2/2007 12:52:57 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, NPeters102@... writes:

              In a message dated 9/2/2007 12:33:29 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, DORR64OVI@aol. com writes:
              A number of years ago, Sherrods brother Charles had their great grandfathers memoirs published.
              Kent,

              "The Sherman Brigade Moves South: The CW Memoirs of Col. Robert Carlson Brown."

              Respectfully,

              Mike Peters
              npeters102@aol. com
              Correct again Mike.  Have you read it?  Its a nice companion to the Hinman regimental history, "The Sherman Brigade"

              Kent Dorr

            • NPeters102@aol.com
              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 1, 2007
                In a message dated 9/2/2007 12:55:28 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, DORR64OVI@... writes:
                Correct again Mike.  Have you read it?  Its a nice companion to the Hinman regimental history, "The Sherman Brigade"
                Kent,

                A nice read! I got a copy at one of the Columbus Half Price book stores.

                Respectfully,

                Mike Peters
                npeters102@...

              • russellsbonds
                Message 7 of 19 , Sep 2, 2007
                  Raiders who did not receive the MOH:

                  James Andrews (civilian)
                  William Campbell (civilian)
                  Charles P. Shadrach
                  George D. Wilson
                  Samuel Llewelyn (never sought the award; he did not participate in
                  the theft of the General and apparently believed he did not deserve
                  the medal)

                  Kind regards,
                  R.S. Bonds

                  --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Hall" <Tunnelhill@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Mr. Bonds,
                  > Do you have a list of the members of the raid who have not
                  received the Medal of Honor? If so, I would greatly appreciate it
                  if you could send me a copy. I have been in a dispute with the
                  museum in Kennesaw concerning the Medal of Honor in that they have
                  the pictures of ALL of the raiders on their wall and have a picture
                  of the MOH under ALL of them. Whether or not any of the men who did
                  not receive the medal deserve it, or will get it, my position is
                  that if they have not received it, the medal should not be pictured
                  with them on this wall. As a matter of fact, if they would remove
                  the pictures from the ones who do not have the medal, it would help
                  those seeking the medal for these men in that the public would be
                  made more aware of the fact that not all of them have received it.
                  > I will be conducting tours this coming weekend at Tunnel Hill
                  and the locomotive chase is, of course, part of the history I tell
                  about and a listing of those who did not receive the medal would be
                  of great use to me. I can also use this chance to let people know
                  which ones did not receive it, and why.

                  > Any help would be greatly appreciated, and I invite you and anyone
                  else who is in the area to come to Tunnel Hill Sept. 8-9 for our
                  annual War Between the States reenactment.

                  > Steve Hall - Commander
                  > Lt. Col. William Luffman Camp #938
                  > Sons of Confederate Veterans
                  > Chatsworth, Georgia

                  As
                  > for your question on Andrews raider Pvt. Shadrach: Charles
                  > P. "Perry" Shadrach (or Shadrack, in some versions) was the
                  young
                  > private's nom de guerre; he was born Philip Gephart Shadrach,
                  but
                  > hated his name because his older brother teased him and called
                  > him "Flip." (See pp. 51-52 and accompanying notes in my book for
                  > more on Shadrach). I'm not sure that he "ran away" to enlist;
                  > rather, I think he simply took the opportunity at enlistment
                  time to
                  > change the name he disliked.
                  >
                  > It appears that Pvt. Shadrach wasn't awarded the MOH for the
                  simple
                  > reason that no one ever sought it on his behalf. However, I'm
                  told
                  > that an effort is underway, led by certain members of the
                  > Congressional Medal of Honor Historical Society, to obtain the
                  Medal
                  > of Honor for Shadrach and fellow raider George D. Wilson. I'm
                  not
                  > sure where this stands; the last I heard it had the support of
                  Sen.
                  > Voinovich's office and (supposedly) had been approved through
                  the
                  > entire chain of command up to the White House.
                  >
                  > With best regards,
                  > Russell Bonds
                  > Marietta, Georgia
                  >
                  > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, DORR64OVI@ wrote:
                  > >
                  > > In a message dated 8/30/2007 5:07:25 P.M. Eastern Daylight
                  Time,

                  (http://www.stealingthegeneral.com)

                  > > Mr Bonds....I was very pleased with your work on the Andrews
                  > Raid. It was
                  > > well researched and was a needed addition to Civil War
                  libraries.
                  > A number of
                  > > years ago when I first got interested in CW reenacting the
                  study
                  > of the
                  > > conflict, a co-worker of mine brought the Raid to my attention
                  for
                  > a personal
                  > > reason. She claimed to be a relative of Perry Shadrachs and
                  > related to me a
                  > > story about his not receiving the MOH. IIRC, the story was
                  that
                  > he had enlisted
                  > > under a false name as he had run away to join. Your book makes
                  > no mention
                  > > of this and I was wondering if you had come across this tale
                  in
                  > your research?
                  > >
                  > > Kent Dorr
                  > >

                  > > ************************************** Get a sneak peek of the
                  all-
                  > new AOL at
                  > > http://discover.aol.com/memed/aolcom30tour

                • Steve Hall
                  Message 8 of 19 , Sep 2, 2007
                    Thanks,
                        This will be great for my talks this weekend!

                    wrote:

                    > Mr. Bonds,
                    > Do you have a list of the members of the raid who have not
                    received the Medal of Honor? If so, I would greatly appreciate it
                    if you could send me a copy. I have been in a dispute with the
                    museum in Kennesaw concerning the Medal of Honor in that they have
                    the pictures of ALL of the raiders on their wall and have a picture
                    of the MOH under ALL of them. Whether or not any of the men who did
                    not receive the medal deserve it, or will get it, my position is
                    that if they have not received it, the medal should not be pictured
                    with them on this wall. As a matter of fact, if they would remove
                    the pictures from the ones who do not have the medal, it would help
                    those seeking the medal for these men in that the public would be
                    made more aware of the fact that not all of them have received it.
                    > I will be conducting tours this coming weekend at Tunnel Hill
                    and the locomotive chase is, of course, part of the history I tell
                    about and a listing of those who did not receive the medal would be
                    of great use to me. I can also use this chance to let people know
                    which ones did not receive it, and why.

                    > Any help would be greatly appreciated, and I invite you and anyone
                    else who is in the area to come to Tunnel Hill Sept. 8-9 for our
                    annual War Between the States reenactment.

                    > Steve Hall - Commander
                    > Lt. Col. William Luffman Camp #938
                    > Sons of Confederate Veterans
                    > Chatsworth, Georgia

                  • Richard Lee
                    Message 9 of 19 , Sep 2, 2007
                      Was Wilson also called Alf? I have a friend who is
                      related to Alf Wilson, the coal tender on the train.

                      Rich Lee
                    • russellsbonds
                      Message 10 of 19 , Sep 2, 2007
                        There were two Wilsons on the raid: George D. Wilson, and J.
                        Alfred "Alf" Wilson. (No relation.)

                        Regards,
                        Russell Bonds

                        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, Richard Lee <gentlei@...> wrote:

                        > Was Wilson also called Alf? I have a friend who is
                        > related to Alf Wilson, the coal tender on the train.
                        >
                        > Rich Lee

                      • Richard Lee
                        Message 11 of 19 , Sep 3, 2007
                          Thanks!