Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Stealing the General

  • Steve Hall
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 1, 2007
      Mr. Bonds,
          Do you have a list
      ----- Original Message -----
      Sent: Saturday, September 01, 2007 2:37 PM
      Subject: [civilwarwest] Re: Stealing the General

      Kent:

      Thanks for the kind words; I'm really glad you enjoyed the book. As
      for your question on Andrews raider Pvt. Shadrach: Charles
      P. "Perry" Shadrach (or Shadrack, in some versions) was the young
      private's nom de guerre; he was born Philip Gephart Shadrach, but
      hated his name because his older brother teased him and called
      him "Flip." (See pp. 51-52 and accompanying notes in my book for
      more on Shadrach). I'm not sure that he "ran away" to enlist;
      rather, I think he simply took the opportunity at enlistment time to
      change the name he disliked.

      It appears that Pvt. Shadrach wasn't awarded the MOH for the simple
      reason that no one ever sought it on his behalf. However, I'm told
      that an effort is underway, led by certain members of the
      Congressional Medal of Honor Historical Society, to obtain the Medal
      of Honor for Shadrach and fellow raider George D. Wilson. I'm not
      sure where this stands; the last I heard it had the support of Sen.
      Voinovich's office and (supposedly) had been approved through the
      entire chain of command up to the White House.

      With best regards,
      Russell Bonds
      Marietta, Georgia

      --- In civilwarwest@ yahoogroups. com, DORR64OVI@.. . wrote:

      > In a message dated 8/30/2007 5:07:25 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      > jillandruss@ ... writes:
      >
      > Friends:
      >
      > I'm the author of "Stealing the General" (the aforementioned book
      on
      > the Andrews Raid); and am pleased to report that the film rights
      > the book has been optioned by Paramount. Of course, it's only
      > an "option," and that's a long way from production, but here's
      hoping
      > we'll see a new version of the story on the big screen.
      >
      > Kind regards,
      > Russell Bonds
      > _www.stealingthegen ewww.ste_ (http://www.stealing thegeneral. com)
      >
      > Mr Bonds....I was very pleased with your work on the Andrews
      Raid. It was
      > well researched and was a needed addition to Civil War libraries.
      A number of
      > years ago when I first got interested in CW reenacting the study
      of the
      > conflict, a co-worker of mine brought the Raid to my attention for
      a personal
      > reason. She claimed to be a relative of Perry Shadrachs and
      related to me a
      > story about his not receiving the MOH. IIRC, the story was that
      he had enlisted
      > under a false name as he had run away to join. Your book makes
      no mention
      > of this and I was wondering if you had come across this tale in
      your research?

      > Kent Dorr
      >

      > ************ ********* ********* ******** Get a sneak peek of the all-
      new AOL at
      > http://discover. aol.com/memed/ aolcom30tour

    • Steve Hall
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 1, 2007
        Mr. Bonds,
            Do you have a list of the members of the raid who have not received the Medal of Honor?  If so, I would greatly appreciate it if you could send me a copy.  I have been in a dispute with the museum in Kennesaw concerning the Medal of Honor in that they have the pictures of ALL of the raiders on their wall and have a picture of the MOH under ALL of them. Whether or not any of the men who did not receive the medal deserve it, or will get it, my position is that if they have not received it, the medal should not be pictured with them on this wall.  As a matter of fact, if they would remove the pictures from the ones who do not have the medal, it would help those seeking the medal for these men in that the public would be made more aware of the fact that not all of them have received it.
            I will be conducting tours this coming weekend at Tunnel Hill and the locomotive chase is, of course, part of the history I tell about and a listing of those who did not receive the medal would be of great use to me.  I can also use this chance to let people know which ones did not receive it, and why.

        Any help would be greatly appreciated, and I invite you and anyone else who is in the area to come to Tunnel Hill Sept. 8-9 for our annual War Between the States reenactment.

        Steve Hall - Commander
        Lt. Col. William Luffman Camp #938
        Sons of Confederate Veterans
        Chatsworth, Georgia

        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 1, 2007
          Bob,
              I agree that more of the land needs to be preserved, but we should not rely on the Federal Government to do this.  Here in the Tunnel Hill/Dalton area, we have stepped forward and gotten our local city and county governments involved.  As a result, we have restored the old railroad tunnel in Tunnel Hill, built a Heritage Center and Museum, have restored and preserved the Clisbe Austin house (Gen. Hood's hospital after Chickamauga, and Gen. Sherman's HQ) and have just acquired the original Tunnel Hill Depot.  We have also had a lot of help from the City of Dalton in restoring and protecting the Dalton Confederate Cemetery, the Dalton Depot, and the ONLY statue of Gen. Joseph E. Johnston.  The County has also stepped up in acquiring 625 acres of battlefield land on Buzzard's Roost!  (BTW, the fire up there is out and most of the underbrush went with it!)
              Yes, some of this was achieved in the end with Federal grants, but it took the local governments to step in and get the ball rolling.  Too many times when we want to preserve something we tend to go to the deepest pockets first, but if we can get the shallower pockets, the local governments, interested, they can tap sources further up the food chain a lot easier that we can with our preservation groups.  The 625 acres started out with state Green Space funds, which, along with local and private funds, was used to get federal matching funds to more than double the amount of land which could be purchased and protected.  The cities and county are looking at other land to protect at the present time as well.  They are keeping an eye out for other sources of funds which can be acquired by city and county governments for this type of project, funds that can not be acquired simply by going to the feds directly.

              Basically, it seems that much more can be done by working locally and getting your local governments interested since they have more resources to go after the federal money than any of the preservation groups have access to.

          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 1, 2007
            In a message dated 9/1/2007 8:49:39 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, DORR64OVI@... writes:
            Ohio's new senator, Sherrod Brown descends from a Colonel of the 64th OVI and I would think we could enlist his support in the Senate.
            Kent,

            Sherrod Brown's ancestor was Colonel Robert Carson Brown.

            Respectfully,

            Mike Peters
            npeters102@...

          • DORR64OVI@aol.com
            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 1, 2007
              In a message dated 9/2/2007 12:13:39 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, NPeters102@... writes:

              In a message dated 9/1/2007 8:49:39 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, DORR64OVI@aol. com writes:
              Ohio's new senator, Sherrod Brown descends from a Colonel of the 64th OVI and I would think we could enlist his support in the Senate.
              Kent,

              Sherrod Brown's ancestor was Colonel Robert Carson Brown.

              Respectfully,

              Mike Peters
              npeters102@aol. com
              Absolutely correct Mike.  A number of years ago, Sherrods brother Charles had their great grandfathers memoirs published.

              Kent Dorr

            • NPeters102@aol.com
              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 1, 2007
                In a message dated 9/2/2007 12:33:29 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, DORR64OVI@... writes:
                A number of years ago, Sherrods brother Charles had their great grandfathers memoirs published.
                Kent,

                "The Sherman Brigade Moves South: The CW Memoirs of Col. Robert Carlson Brown."

                Respectfully,

                Mike Peters
                npeters102@...

              • DORR64OVI@aol.com
                Message 7 of 19 , Sep 1, 2007
                  In a message dated 9/2/2007 12:52:57 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, NPeters102@... writes:

                  In a message dated 9/2/2007 12:33:29 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, DORR64OVI@aol. com writes:
                  A number of years ago, Sherrods brother Charles had their great grandfathers memoirs published.
                  Kent,

                  "The Sherman Brigade Moves South: The CW Memoirs of Col. Robert Carlson Brown."

                  Respectfully,

                  Mike Peters
                  npeters102@aol. com
                  Correct again Mike.  Have you read it?  Its a nice companion to the Hinman regimental history, "The Sherman Brigade"

                  Kent Dorr

                • NPeters102@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 19 , Sep 1, 2007
                    In a message dated 9/2/2007 12:55:28 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, DORR64OVI@... writes:
                    Correct again Mike.  Have you read it?  Its a nice companion to the Hinman regimental history, "The Sherman Brigade"
                    Kent,

                    A nice read! I got a copy at one of the Columbus Half Price book stores.

                    Respectfully,

                    Mike Peters
                    npeters102@...

                  • russellsbonds
                    Message 9 of 19 , Sep 2, 2007
                      Raiders who did not receive the MOH:

                      James Andrews (civilian)
                      William Campbell (civilian)
                      Charles P. Shadrach
                      George D. Wilson
                      Samuel Llewelyn (never sought the award; he did not participate in
                      the theft of the General and apparently believed he did not deserve
                      the medal)

                      Kind regards,
                      R.S. Bonds

                      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Hall" <Tunnelhill@...>

                      Message 10 of 19 , Sep 2, 2007
                        Thanks,
                            This will be great for my talks this weekend!

                        wrote:

                        > Mr. Bonds,
                        > Do you have a list of the members of the raid who have not
                        received the Medal of Honor? If so, I would greatly appreciate it
                        if you could send me a copy. I have been in a dispute with the
                        museum in Kennesaw concerning the Medal of Honor in that they have
                        the pictures of ALL of the raiders on their wall and have a picture
                        of the MOH under ALL of them. Whether or not any of the men who did
                        not receive the medal deserve it, or will get it, my position is
                        that if they have not received it, the medal should not be pictured
                        with them on this wall. As a matter of fact, if they would remove
                        the pictures from the ones who do not have the medal, it would help
                        those seeking the medal for these men in that the public would be
                        made more aware of the fact that not all of them have received it.
                        > I will be conducting tours this coming weekend at Tunnel Hill
                        and the locomotive chase is, of course, part of the history I tell
                        about and a listing of those who did not receive the medal would be
                        of great use to me. I can also use this chance to let people know
                        which ones did not receive it, and why.

                        > Any help would be greatly appreciated, and I invite you and anyone
                        else who is in the area to come to Tunnel Hill Sept. 8-9 for our
                        annual War Between the States reenactment.

                        > Steve Hall - Commander
                        > Lt. Col. William Luffman Camp #938
                        > Sons of Confederate Veterans
                        > Chatsworth, Georgia

                      • Richard Lee
                        Message 11 of 19 , Sep 2, 2007
                          Was Wilson also called Alf? I have a friend who is
                          related to Alf Wilson, the coal tender on the train.

                          Rich Lee
                        • russellsbonds
                          Message 12 of 19 , Sep 2, 2007
                            There were two Wilsons on the raid: George D. Wilson, and J.
                            Alfred "Alf" Wilson. (No relation.)

                            Regards,
                            Russell Bonds

                            --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, Richard Lee <gentlei@...> wrote:

                            > Was Wilson also called Alf? I have a friend who is
                            > related to Alf Wilson, the coal tender on the train.
                            >
                            > Rich Lee

                          • Richard Lee
                            Message 13 of 19 , Sep 3, 2007
                              Thanks!