Re: Stealing the General

  • russellsbonds
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 1, 2007
      Kent:

      Thanks for the kind words; I'm really glad you enjoyed the book. As
      for your question on Andrews raider Pvt. Shadrach: Charles
      P. "Perry" Shadrach (or Shadrack, in some versions) was the young
      private's nom de guerre; he was born Philip Gephart Shadrach, but
      hated his name because his older brother teased him and called
      him "Flip." (See pp. 51-52 and accompanying notes in my book for
      more on Shadrach). I'm not sure that he "ran away" to enlist;
      rather, I think he simply took the opportunity at enlistment time to
      change the name he disliked.

      It appears that Pvt. Shadrach wasn't awarded the MOH for the simple
      reason that no one ever sought it on his behalf. However, I'm told
      that an effort is underway, led by certain members of the
      Congressional Medal of Honor Historical Society, to obtain the Medal
      of Honor for Shadrach and fellow raider George D. Wilson. I'm not
      sure where this stands; the last I heard it had the support of Sen.
      Voinovich's office and (supposedly) had been approved through the
      entire chain of command up to the White House.

      With best regards,
      Russell Bonds
      Marietta, Georgia

      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, DORR64OVI@... wrote:

      > In a message dated 8/30/2007 5:07:25 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      > jillandruss@... writes:
      >
      > Friends:
      >
      > I'm the author of "Stealing the General" (the aforementioned book
      on
      > the Andrews Raid); and am pleased to report that the film rights
      > the book has been optioned by Paramount. Of course, it's only
      > an "option," and that's a long way from production, but here's
      hoping
      > we'll see a new version of the story on the big screen.
      >
      > Kind regards,
      > Russell Bonds
      > _www.stealingthegenewww.ste_ (http://www.stealingthegeneral.com)
      >
      > Mr Bonds....I was very pleased with your work on the Andrews
      Raid. It was
      > well researched and was a needed addition to Civil War libraries.
      A number of

    • ecm777@aol.com
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 1, 2007
        Russell,

        Congratulations on the film rights option.  It would make a great movie.

        I was given your book for my birthday and have just recently finished reading it. I loved it!  It was easy to read and yet full of detail.  You have a wonderful ability of making characters come to life.

        My twelve year old grandson became interested and since we live in the Chattanooga area, I was able to take him to the location we read about in your book.  We found the location of the jail where the Raider's were held and the place where the trial took place. We even went out to the National Cemetery and matched the tombstones with the Raiders's pictures you had in your book. He was especially thrilled when we were able to walk through the tunnel and later visit the marker where the General was abandoned. I can't wait until we can take him to Kennesaw and let him see the General in person.

        Thanks for a great book and for peaking my grandson's interest in the civil war.

        Colleen aka CWgal
        Chickamauga & Chattanooga

      • DORR64OVI@aol.com
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 1, 2007
          In a message dated 9/1/2007 2:38:28 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, jillandruss@... writes:
          It appears that Pvt. Shadrach wasn't awarded the MOH for the simple
          reason that no one ever sought it on his behalf. However, I'm told
          that an effort is underway, led by certain members of the
          Congressional Medal of Honor Historical Society, to obtain the Medal
          of Honor for Shadrach and fellow raider George D. Wilson. I'm not
          sure where this stands; the last I heard it had the support of Sen.
          Voinovich's office and (supposedly) had been approved through the
          entire chain of command up to the White House.

          Russ...I did a web search on Shadrach and found that a new bill was introduced in the House this Spring by Rep David Hobson of Ohio to obtain the MOH on Shadrachs behalf.  The bill was referred to a House subcommittee which is the first step in the process.  Hopefully it will begin to work its way to action.  It sounds like this effort was separate from the effort of the CMOHHS which IIRC has been going on for a number of years.  Dont know why that effort stalled.  Hopefully your book will generate more awareness of the Raid and its participants.
             I am the Graves Registration Officer for the Ohio Dept of the SUVCW and would love to someday have a ceremony to place a MOH flagholder at Shadrachs grave to accord him the honor he deserves.  Ohio's new senator, Sherrod Brown descends from a Colonel of the 64th OVI and I would think we could enlist his support in the Senate.

          Kent Dorr

        • Bob Huddleston
          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 1, 2007
            Let me make a political comment here.

            The great need today is for land preservation, not a medal of honor for someone who died over a century ago. Yes, Shadrach deserved one, but he didn't get it.

            Instead of spending the government's time and money (which money is, after all, MY money and YOUR money) if would be better to spend the energy preserving more of the terrain as a real monument to the men of the Andrews Raid.

            Now I will get off my soapbox.

            Take care,

            Bob

            Judy and Bob Huddleston
            10643 Sperry Street
            Northglenn, CO  80234-3612
            303.451.6376  Huddleston.r@...

            "The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane."
            ---Mark Twain, 1907

            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 1, 2007
              Mr. Bonds,
                  Do you have a list
              Thanks for the kind words; I'm really glad you enjoyed the book. As
              for your question on Andrews raider Pvt. Shadrach: Charles
              P. "Perry" Shadrach (or Shadrack, in some versions) was the young
              private's nom de guerre; he was born Philip Gephart Shadrach, but
              hated his name because his older brother teased him and called
              him "Flip." (See pp. 51-52 and accompanying notes in my book for
              more on Shadrach). I'm not sure that he "ran away" to enlist;
              rather, I think he simply took the opportunity at enlistment time to
              change the name he disliked.

              It appears that Pvt. Shadrach wasn't awarded the MOH for the simple
              reason that no one ever sought it on his behalf. However, I'm told
              that an effort is underway, led by certain members of the
              Congressional Medal of Honor Historical Society, to obtain the Medal
              of Honor for Shadrach and fellow raider George D. Wilson. I'm not
              sure where this stands; the last I heard it had the support of Sen.
              Voinovich's office and (supposedly) had been approved through the
              entire chain of command up to the White House.

              With best regards,
              Russell Bonds
              Marietta, Georgia

              --- In civilwarwest@ yahoogroups. com, DORR64OVI@.. . wrote:

              > In a message dated 8/30/2007 5:07:25 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
              > jillandruss@ ... writes:
              >
              > Friends:
              >
              > I'm the author of "Stealing the General" (the aforementioned book
              on
              > the Andrews Raid); and am pleased to report that the film rights
              > the book has been optioned by Paramount. Of course, it's only
              > an "option," and that's a long way from production, but here's
              hoping
              > we'll see a new version of the story on the big screen.
              >
              > Kind regards,
              > Russell Bonds
              > _www.stealingthegen ewww.ste_ (http://www.stealing thegeneral. com)
              >
              > Mr Bonds....I was very pleased with your work on the Andrews
              Raid. It was
              > well researched and was a needed addition to Civil War libraries.
              A number of
              > years ago when I first got interested in CW reenacting the study
              of the
              > conflict, a co-worker of mine brought the Raid to my attention for
              a personal
              > reason. She claimed to be a relative of Perry Shadrachs and
              related to me a
              > story about his not receiving the MOH. IIRC, the story was that
              he had enlisted
              > under a false name as he had run away to join. Your book makes
              no mention
              > of this and I was wondering if you had come across this tale in
              your research?

              > Kent Dorr
              >

              > ************ ********* ********* ******** Get a sneak peek of the all-
              new AOL at
              > http://discover. aol.com/memed/ aolcom30tour

            • Steve Hall
              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 1, 2007
                Mr. Bonds,
                    Do you have a list of the members of the raid who have not received the Medal of Honor?  If so, I would greatly appreciate it if you could send me a copy.  I have been in a dispute with the museum in Kennesaw concerning the Medal of Honor in that they have the pictures of ALL of the raiders on their wall and have a picture of the MOH under ALL of them. Whether or not any of the men who did not receive the medal deserve it, or will get it, my position is that if they have not received it, the medal should not be pictured with them on this wall.  As a matter of fact, if they would remove the pictures from the ones who do not have the medal, it would help those seeking the medal for these men in that the public would be made more aware of the fact that not all of them have received it.
                    I will be conducting tours this coming weekend at Tunnel Hill and the locomotive chase is, of course, part of the history I tell about and a listing of those who did not receive the medal would be of great use to me.  I can also use this chance to let people know which ones did not receive it, and why.

                Any help would be greatly appreciated, and I invite you and anyone else who is in the area to come to Tunnel Hill Sept. 8-9 for our annual War Between the States reenactment.

                Steve Hall - Commander
                Lt. Col. William Luffman Camp #938
                Sons of Confederate Veterans
                Chatsworth, Georgia

                Message 7 of 19 , Sep 1, 2007
                  Bob,
                      I agree that more of the land needs to be preserved, but we should not rely on the Federal Government to do this.  Here in the Tunnel Hill/Dalton area, we have stepped forward and gotten our local city and county governments involved.  As a result, we have restored the old railroad tunnel in Tunnel Hill, built a Heritage Center and Museum, have restored and preserved the Clisbe Austin house (Gen. Hood's hospital after Chickamauga, and Gen. Sherman's HQ) and have just acquired the original Tunnel Hill Depot.  We have also had a lot of help from the City of Dalton in restoring and protecting the Dalton Confederate Cemetery, the Dalton Depot, and the ONLY statue of Gen. Joseph E. Johnston.  The County has also stepped up in acquiring 625 acres of battlefield land on Buzzard's Roost!  (BTW, the fire up there is out and most of the underbrush went with it!)
                      Yes, some of this was achieved in the end with Federal grants, but it took the local governments to step in and get the ball rolling.  Too many times when we want to preserve something we tend to go to the deepest pockets first, but if we can get the shallower pockets, the local governments, interested, they can tap sources further up the food chain a lot easier that we can with our preservation groups.  The 625 acres started out with state Green Space funds, which, along with local and private funds, was used to get federal matching funds to more than double the amount of land which could be purchased and protected.  The cities and county are looking at other land to protect at the present time as well.  They are keeping an eye out for other sources of funds which can be acquired by city and county governments for this type of project, funds that can not be acquired simply by going to the feds directly.

                      Basically, it seems that much more can be done by working locally and getting your local governments interested since they have more resources to go after the federal money than any of the preservation groups have access to.

                  303.451.6376  Huddleston.r@ comcast.net

                • NPeters102@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 19 , Sep 1, 2007
                    In a message dated 9/1/2007 8:49:39 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, DORR64OVI@... writes:
                    Ohio's new senator, Sherrod Brown descends from a Colonel of the 64th OVI and I would think we could enlist his support in the Senate.
                    Kent,

                    Sherrod Brown's ancestor was Colonel Robert Carson Brown.

                    Respectfully,

                    Mike Peters
                    npeters102@...

                  • DORR64OVI@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 19 , Sep 1, 2007
                      In a message dated 9/2/2007 12:13:39 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, NPeters102@... writes:

                      In a message dated 9/1/2007 8:49:39 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, DORR64OVI@aol. com writes:
                      Ohio's new senator, Sherrod Brown descends from a Colonel of the 64th OVI and I would think we could enlist his support in the Senate.
                      Kent,

                      Sherrod Brown's ancestor was Colonel Robert Carson Brown.

                      Respectfully,

                      Mike Peters
                      npeters102@aol. com
                      Absolutely correct Mike.  A number of years ago, Sherrods brother Charles had their great grandfathers memoirs published.

                      Kent Dorr

                    • NPeters102@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 19 , Sep 1, 2007
                        In a message dated 9/2/2007 12:33:29 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, DORR64OVI@... writes:
                        A number of years ago, Sherrods brother Charles had their great grandfathers memoirs published.
                        Kent,

                        "The Sherman Brigade Moves South: The CW Memoirs of Col. Robert Carlson Brown."

                        Respectfully,

                        Mike Peters
                        npeters102@...

                      • DORR64OVI@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 19 , Sep 1, 2007
                          In a message dated 9/2/2007 12:52:57 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, NPeters102@... writes:

                          In a message dated 9/2/2007 12:33:29 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, DORR64OVI@aol. com writes:
                          A number of years ago, Sherrods brother Charles had their great grandfathers memoirs published.
                          Kent,

                          "The Sherman Brigade Moves South: The CW Memoirs of Col. Robert Carlson Brown."

                          Respectfully,

                          Mike Peters
                          npeters102@aol. com
                          Correct again Mike.  Have you read it?  Its a nice companion to the Hinman regimental history, "The Sherman Brigade"

                          Kent Dorr

                        • NPeters102@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 19 , Sep 1, 2007
                            In a message dated 9/2/2007 12:55:28 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, DORR64OVI@... writes:
                            Correct again Mike.  Have you read it?  Its a nice companion to the Hinman regimental history, "The Sherman Brigade"
                            Kent,

                            A nice read! I got a copy at one of the Columbus Half Price book stores.

                            Respectfully,

                            Mike Peters
                            npeters102@...

                          • russellsbonds
                            Message 13 of 19 , Sep 2, 2007
                              Raiders who did not receive the MOH:

                              James Andrews (civilian)
                              William Campbell (civilian)
                              Charles P. Shadrach
                              George D. Wilson
                              Samuel Llewelyn (never sought the award; he did not participate in
                              the theft of the General and apparently believed he did not deserve
                              the medal)

                              Kind regards,
                              R.S. Bonds

                              --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Hall" <Tunnelhill@...>

                              Message 14 of 19 , Sep 2, 2007
                                Thanks,
                                    This will be great for my talks this weekend!

                                wrote:

                                > Mr. Bonds,
                                > Do you have a list of the members of the raid who have not
                                received the Medal of Honor? If so, I would greatly appreciate it
                                if you could send me a copy. I have been in a dispute with the
                                museum in Kennesaw concerning the Medal of Honor in that they have
                                the pictures of ALL of the raiders on their wall and have a picture
                                of the MOH under ALL of them. Whether or not any of the men who did
                                not receive the medal deserve it, or will get it, my position is
                                that if they have not received it, the medal should not be pictured
                                with them on this wall. As a matter of fact, if they would remove
                                the pictures from the ones who do not have the medal, it would help
                                those seeking the medal for these men in that the public would be
                                made more aware of the fact that not all of them have received it.
                                > I will be conducting tours this coming weekend at Tunnel Hill
                                and the locomotive chase is, of course, part of the history I tell
                                about and a listing of those who did not receive the medal would be
                                of great use to me. I can also use this chance to let people know
                                which ones did not receive it, and why.

                                > Any help would be greatly appreciated, and I invite you and anyone
                                else who is in the area to come to Tunnel Hill Sept. 8-9 for our
                                annual War Between the States reenactment.

                                > Steve Hall - Commander
                                > Lt. Col. William Luffman Camp #938
                                > Sons of Confederate Veterans
                                > Chatsworth, Georgia

                              • Richard Lee
                                Message 15 of 19 , Sep 2, 2007
                                  Was Wilson also called Alf? I have a friend who is
                                  related to Alf Wilson, the coal tender on the train.

                                  Rich Lee
                                • russellsbonds
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Sep 2, 2007
                                    There were two Wilsons on the raid: George D. Wilson, and J.
                                    Alfred "Alf" Wilson. (No relation.)

                                    Regards,
                                    Russell Bonds

                                    --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, Richard Lee <gentlei@...> wrote:

                                    > Was Wilson also called Alf? I have a friend who is
                                    > related to Alf Wilson, the coal tender on the train.
                                    >
                                    > Rich Lee

                                  • Richard Lee
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Sep 3, 2007
                                      Thanks!