Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Stealing the General

  • DORR64OVI@aol.com
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 31, 2007
      In a message dated 8/30/2007 5:07:25 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, jillandruss@... writes:
      Friends:

      I'm the author of "Stealing the General" (the aforementioned book on
      the Andrews Raid); and am pleased to report that the film rights to
      the book has been optioned by Paramount. Of course, it's only
      an "option," and that's a long way from production, but here's hoping
      we'll see a new version of the story on the big screen.

      Kind regards,
      Russell Bonds
      www.stealingthegene ral.com

      Mr Bonds....I was very pleased with your work on the Andrews Raid.  It was well researched and was a needed addition to Civil War libraries.  A number of years ago when I first got interested in CW reenacting the study of the conflict, a co-worker of mine brought the Raid to my attention for a personal reason.  She claimed to be a relative of Perry Shadrachs and related to me a story about his not receiving the MOH.  IIRC, the story was that he had enlisted under a false name as he had run away to join.  Your book makes no mention of this and I was wondering if you had come across this tale in your research?

      Kent Dorr

    • Mary Hawthorne
      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 31, 2007
        I too have heard that about Shadrach. I know it would be hard to get him the MoH he deserves but I wonder how hard it would be to get his hometown to put his name on their marker for veterans?
        M Hawthorne aka bluelady
[...]

        Checked by AVG Free Edition.
      • russellsbonds
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 1, 2007
          Kent:

          Thanks for the kind words; I'm really glad you enjoyed the book. As
          for your question on Andrews raider Pvt. Shadrach: Charles
          P. "Perry" Shadrach (or Shadrack, in some versions) was the young
          private's nom de guerre; he was born Philip Gephart Shadrach, but
          hated his name because his older brother teased him and called
          him "Flip." (See pp. 51-52 and accompanying notes in my book for
          more on Shadrach). I'm not sure that he "ran away" to enlist;
          rather, I think he simply took the opportunity at enlistment time to
          change the name he disliked.

          It appears that Pvt. Shadrach wasn't awarded the MOH for the simple
          reason that no one ever sought it on his behalf. However, I'm told
          that an effort is underway, led by certain members of the
          Congressional Medal of Honor Historical Society, to obtain the Medal
          of Honor for Shadrach and fellow raider George D. Wilson. I'm not
          sure where this stands; the last I heard it had the support of Sen.
          Voinovich's office and (supposedly) had been approved through the
          entire chain of command up to the White House.

          With best regards,
          Russell Bonds
          Marietta, Georgia

        • ecm777@aol.com
          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 1, 2007
            Russell,

            Congratulations on the film rights option.  It would make a great movie.

            I was given your book for my birthday and have just recently finished reading it. I loved it!  It was easy to read and yet full of detail.  You have a wonderful ability of making characters come to life.

            My twelve year old grandson became interested and since we live in the Chattanooga area, I was able to take him to the location we read about in your book.  We found the location of the jail where the Raider's were held and the place where the trial took place. We even went out to the National Cemetery and matched the tombstones with the Raiders's pictures you had in your book. He was especially thrilled when we were able to walk through the tunnel and later visit the marker where the General was abandoned. I can't wait until we can take him to Kennesaw and let him see the General in person.

            Thanks for a great book and for peaking my grandson's interest in the civil war.

            Colleen aka CWgal
            Chickamauga & Chattanooga

          • DORR64OVI@aol.com
            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 1, 2007
              In a message dated 9/1/2007 2:38:28 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, jillandruss@... writes:
              It appears that Pvt. Shadrach wasn't awarded the MOH for the simple
              reason that no one ever sought it on his behalf. However, I'm told
              that an effort is underway, led by certain members of the
              Congressional Medal of Honor Historical Society, to obtain the Medal
              of Honor for Shadrach and fellow raider George D. Wilson. I'm not
              sure where this stands; the last I heard it had the support of Sen.
              Voinovich's office and (supposedly) had been approved through the
              entire chain of command up to the White House.

              Russ...I did a web search on Shadrach and found that a new bill was introduced in the House this Spring by Rep David Hobson of Ohio to obtain the MOH on Shadrachs behalf.  The bill was referred to a House subcommittee which is the first step in the process.  Hopefully it will begin to work its way to action.  It sounds like this effort was separate from the effort of the CMOHHS which IIRC has been going on for a number of years.  Dont know why that effort stalled.  Hopefully your book will generate more awareness of the Raid and its participants.
                 I am the Graves Registration Officer for the Ohio Dept of the SUVCW and would love to someday have a ceremony to place a MOH flagholder at Shadrachs grave to accord him the honor he deserves.  Ohio's new senator, Sherrod Brown descends from a Colonel of the 64th OVI and I would think we could enlist his support in the Senate.

              Kent Dorr

            • Bob Huddleston
              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 1, 2007
                Let me make a political comment here.

                The great need today is for land preservation, not a medal of honor for someone who died over a century ago. Yes, Shadrach deserved one, but he didn't get it.

                Instead of spending the government's time and money (which money is, after all, MY money and YOUR money) if would be better to spend the energy preserving more of the terrain as a real monument to the men of the Andrews Raid.

                Now I will get off my soapbox.

                Take care,

                Bob

                Judy and Bob Huddleston
                10643 Sperry Street
                Northglenn, CO  80234-3612
                303.451.6376  Huddleston.r@...

                "The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane."
                ---Mark Twain, 1907

                Message 7 of 19 , Sep 1, 2007
                  Mr. Bonds,
                      Do you have a list
                  Thanks for the kind words; I'm really glad you enjoyed the book. As
                  for your question on Andrews raider Pvt. Shadrach: Charles
                  P. "Perry" Shadrach (or Shadrack, in some versions) was the young
                  private's nom de guerre; he was born Philip Gephart Shadrach, but
                  hated his name because his older brother teased him and called
                  him "Flip." (See pp. 51-52 and accompanying notes in my book for
                  more on Shadrach). I'm not sure that he "ran away" to enlist;
                  rather, I think he simply took the opportunity at enlistment time to
                  change the name he disliked.

                  It appears that Pvt. Shadrach wasn't awarded the MOH for the simple
                  reason that no one ever sought it on his behalf. However, I'm told
                  that an effort is underway, led by certain members of the
                  Congressional Medal of Honor Historical Society, to obtain the Medal
                  of Honor for Shadrach and fellow raider George D. Wilson. I'm not
                  sure where this stands; the last I heard it had the support of Sen.
                  Voinovich's office and (supposedly) had been approved through the
                  entire chain of command up to the White House.

                  With best regards,
                  Russell Bonds
                  Marietta, Georgia

                  --- In civilwarwest@ yahoogroups. com, DORR64OVI@.. . wrote:

                  > In a message dated 8/30/2007 5:07:25 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                  > jillandruss@ ... writes:
                  >
                  > Friends:
                  >
                  > I'm the author of "Stealing the General" (the aforementioned book
                  on
                  > the Andrews Raid); and am pleased to report that the film rights
                  > the book has been optioned by Paramount. Of course, it's only
                  > an "option," and that's a long way from production, but here's
                  hoping
                  > we'll see a new version of the story on the big screen.
                  >
                  > Kind regards,
                  > Russell Bonds
                  > _www.stealingthegen ewww.ste_ (http://www.stealing thegeneral. com)
                  >
                  > Mr Bonds....I was very pleased with your work on the Andrews
                  Raid. It was
                  > well researched and was a needed addition to Civil War libraries.
                  A number of
                  > years ago when I first got interested in CW reenacting the study
                  of the
                  > conflict, a co-worker of mine brought the Raid to my attention for
                  a personal
                  > reason. She claimed to be a relative of Perry Shadrachs and
                  related to me a
                  > story about his not receiving the MOH. IIRC, the story was that
                  he had enlisted
                  > under a false name as he had run away to join. Your book makes
                  no mention
                  > of this and I was wondering if you had come across this tale in
                  your research?

                  > Kent Dorr
                  >

                  > ************ ********* ********* ******** Get a sneak peek of the all-
                  new AOL at
                  > http://discover. aol.com/memed/ aolcom30tour

                • Steve Hall
                  Message 8 of 19 , Sep 1, 2007
                    Mr. Bonds,
                        Do you have a list of the members of the raid who have not received the Medal of Honor?  If so, I would greatly appreciate it if you could send me a copy.  I have been in a dispute with the museum in Kennesaw concerning the Medal of Honor in that they have the pictures of ALL of the raiders on their wall and have a picture of the MOH under ALL of them. Whether or not any of the men who did not receive the medal deserve it, or will get it, my position is that if they have not received it, the medal should not be pictured with them on this wall.  As a matter of fact, if they would remove the pictures from the ones who do not have the medal, it would help those seeking the medal for these men in that the public would be made more aware of the fact that not all of them have received it.
                        I will be conducting tours this coming weekend at Tunnel Hill and the locomotive chase is, of course, part of the history I tell about and a listing of those who did not receive the medal would be of great use to me.  I can also use this chance to let people know which ones did not receive it, and why.

                    Any help would be greatly appreciated, and I invite you and anyone else who is in the area to come to Tunnel Hill Sept. 8-9 for our annual War Between the States reenactment.

                    Steve Hall - Commander
                    Lt. Col. William Luffman Camp #938
                    Sons of Confederate Veterans
                    Chatsworth, Georgia

                    Message 9 of 19 , Sep 1, 2007
                      Bob,
                          I agree that more of the land needs to be preserved, but we should not rely on the Federal Government to do this.  Here in the Tunnel Hill/Dalton area, we have stepped forward and gotten our local city and county governments involved.  As a result, we have restored the old railroad tunnel in Tunnel Hill, built a Heritage Center and Museum, have restored and preserved the Clisbe Austin house (Gen. Hood's hospital after Chickamauga, and Gen. Sherman's HQ) and have just acquired the original Tunnel Hill Depot.  We have also had a lot of help from the City of Dalton in restoring and protecting the Dalton Confederate Cemetery, the Dalton Depot, and the ONLY statue of Gen. Joseph E. Johnston.  The County has also stepped up in acquiring 625 acres of battlefield land on Buzzard's Roost!  (BTW, the fire up there is out and most of the underbrush went with it!)
                          Yes, some of this was achieved in the end with Federal grants, but it took the local governments to step in and get the ball rolling.  Too many times when we want to preserve something we tend to go to the deepest pockets first, but if we can get the shallower pockets, the local governments, interested, they can tap sources further up the food chain a lot easier that we can with our preservation groups.  The 625 acres started out with state Green Space funds, which, along with local and private funds, was used to get federal matching funds to more than double the amount of land which could be purchased and protected.  The cities and county are looking at other land to protect at the present time as well.  They are keeping an eye out for other sources of funds which can be acquired by city and county governments for this type of project, funds that can not be acquired simply by going to the feds directly.

                          Basically, it seems that much more can be done by working locally and getting your local governments interested since they have more resources to go after the federal money than any of the preservation groups have access to.

                      303.451.6376  Huddleston.r@ comcast.net

                    • NPeters102@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 19 , Sep 1, 2007
                        In a message dated 9/1/2007 8:49:39 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, DORR64OVI@... writes:
                        Ohio's new senator, Sherrod Brown descends from a Colonel of the 64th OVI and I would think we could enlist his support in the Senate.
                        Kent,

                        Sherrod Brown's ancestor was Colonel Robert Carson Brown.

                        Respectfully,

                        Mike Peters
                        npeters102@...

                      • DORR64OVI@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 19 , Sep 1, 2007
                          In a message dated 9/2/2007 12:13:39 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, NPeters102@... writes:

                          In a message dated 9/1/2007 8:49:39 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, DORR64OVI@aol. com writes:
                          Ohio's new senator, Sherrod Brown descends from a Colonel of the 64th OVI and I would think we could enlist his support in the Senate.
                          Kent,

                          Sherrod Brown's ancestor was Colonel Robert Carson Brown.

                          Respectfully,

                          Mike Peters
                          npeters102@aol. com
                          Absolutely correct Mike.  A number of years ago, Sherrods brother Charles had their great grandfathers memoirs published.

                          Kent Dorr

                        • NPeters102@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 19 , Sep 1, 2007
                            In a message dated 9/2/2007 12:33:29 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, DORR64OVI@... writes:
                            A number of years ago, Sherrods brother Charles had their great grandfathers memoirs published.
                            Kent,

                            "The Sherman Brigade Moves South: The CW Memoirs of Col. Robert Carlson Brown."

                            Respectfully,

                            Mike Peters
                            npeters102@...

                          • DORR64OVI@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 19 , Sep 1, 2007
                              In a message dated 9/2/2007 12:52:57 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, NPeters102@... writes:

                              In a message dated 9/2/2007 12:33:29 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, DORR64OVI@aol. com writes:
                              A number of years ago, Sherrods brother Charles had their great grandfathers memoirs published.
                              Kent,

                              "The Sherman Brigade Moves South: The CW Memoirs of Col. Robert Carlson Brown."

                              Respectfully,

                              Mike Peters
                              npeters102@aol. com
                              Correct again Mike.  Have you read it?  Its a nice companion to the Hinman regimental history, "The Sherman Brigade"

                              Kent Dorr

                            • NPeters102@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 19 , Sep 1, 2007
                                In a message dated 9/2/2007 12:55:28 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, DORR64OVI@... writes:
                                Correct again Mike.  Have you read it?  Its a nice companion to the Hinman regimental history, "The Sherman Brigade"
                                Kent,

                                A nice read! I got a copy at one of the Columbus Half Price book stores.

                                Respectfully,

                                Mike Peters
                                npeters102@...

                              • russellsbonds
                                Message 15 of 19 , Sep 2, 2007
                                  Raiders who did not receive the MOH:

                                  James Andrews (civilian)
                                  William Campbell (civilian)
                                  Charles P. Shadrach
                                  George D. Wilson
                                  Samuel Llewelyn (never sought the award; he did not participate in
                                  the theft of the General and apparently believed he did not deserve
                                  the medal)

                                  Kind regards,
                                  R.S. Bonds

                                  --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Hall" <Tunnelhill@...>

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Sep 2, 2007
                                    Thanks,
                                        This will be great for my talks this weekend!

                                    wrote:

                                    > Mr. Bonds,
                                    > Do you have a list of the members of the raid who have not
                                    received the Medal of Honor? If so, I would greatly appreciate it
                                    if you could send me a copy. I have been in a dispute with the
                                    museum in Kennesaw concerning the Medal of Honor in that they have
                                    the pictures of ALL of the raiders on their wall and have a picture
                                    of the MOH under ALL of them. Whether or not any of the men who did
                                    not receive the medal deserve it, or will get it, my position is
                                    that if they have not received it, the medal should not be pictured
                                    with them on this wall. As a matter of fact, if they would remove
                                    the pictures from the ones who do not have the medal, it would help
                                    those seeking the medal for these men in that the public would be
                                    made more aware of the fact that not all of them have received it.
                                    > I will be conducting tours this coming weekend at Tunnel Hill
                                    and the locomotive chase is, of course, part of the history I tell
                                    about and a listing of those who did not receive the medal would be
                                    of great use to me. I can also use this chance to let people know
                                    which ones did not receive it, and why.

                                    > Any help would be greatly appreciated, and I invite you and anyone
                                    else who is in the area to come to Tunnel Hill Sept. 8-9 for our
                                    annual War Between the States reenactment.

                                    > Steve Hall - Commander
                                    > Lt. Col. William Luffman Camp #938
                                    > Sons of Confederate Veterans
                                    > Chatsworth, Georgia

                                  • Richard Lee
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Sep 2, 2007
                                      Was Wilson also called Alf? I have a friend who is
                                      related to Alf Wilson, the coal tender on the train.

                                      Rich Lee
                                    • russellsbonds
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Sep 2, 2007
                                        There were two Wilsons on the raid: George D. Wilson, and J.
                                        Alfred "Alf" Wilson. (No relation.)

                                        Regards,
                                        Russell Bonds

                                        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, Richard Lee <gentlei@...> wrote:

                                        > Was Wilson also called Alf? I have a friend who is
                                        > related to Alf Wilson, the coal tender on the train.
                                        >
                                        > Rich Lee

                                      • Richard Lee
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Sep 3, 2007
                                          Thanks!