RE: [civilwarwest] Grant - Brigadier Gen US Regulars

  • Bob Huddleston
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 12, 2007
      I think it was the recognition that Grant had opened the Mississippi and removed an entire army, versus a tactical victory by Meade.

      Take care,

      Bob

      Judy and Bob Huddleston
      10643 Sperry Street
      Northglenn, CO  80234-3612
      303.451.6376  Huddleston.r@...

      "The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane."
      ---Mark Twain, 1907

      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 12, 2007

        Also, at Gettysburg, Meade had only been in command of the AotP for a few days with no past record beyond Corps command while Grant had built up a considerable body of work at the conclusion of Vicksburg.

        Tom

        303.451.6376  Huddleston.r@ comcast.net

        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 13, 2007
          I think one point everyone is missing is that Lincoln had promised
          promotion to MG to the *first* army commander to win a major victory
          in 1863.

          And, of course, there was that running inquiry on Meade's actions
          following Gettysburg.

          > Also, at Gettysburg, Meade had only been in command of the AotP for
          a few
          > days with no past record beyond Corps command while Grant had built
          up a
          > considerable body of work at the conclusion of Vicksburg.
          >
          > Tom

          ncid=AOLAOF00020000000982> .

        • Tom Mix
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 13, 2007

            Yes, and in Lincoln’s eyes Lee “escaped” while Pimberton didn’t.