Re: [civilwarwest] Grant - Brigadier Gen US Regulars

  • keeno2@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 12 7:33 AM
      In a message dated 8/12/2007 8:58:46 A.M. Central Daylight Time, jvt1976@... writes:
      but Grant was getting the Major generalcy for past deeds gone unrewarded
      Thanks. Makes sense to me.

      ken

    • Bob Huddleston
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 12 9:52 AM
        I think it was the recognition that Grant had opened the Mississippi and removed an entire army, versus a tactical victory by Meade.

        Take care,

        Bob

        Judy and Bob Huddleston
        10643 Sperry Street
        Northglenn, CO  80234-3612
        303.451.6376  Huddleston.r@...

        "The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane."
        ---Mark Twain, 1907

        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 12 12:58 PM

          Also, at Gettysburg, Meade had only been in command of the AotP for a few days with no past record beyond Corps command while Grant had built up a considerable body of work at the conclusion of Vicksburg.

          Tom

          303.451.6376  Huddleston.r@ comcast.net

          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 13 10:40 AM
            I think one point everyone is missing is that Lincoln had promised
            promotion to MG to the *first* army commander to win a major victory
            in 1863.

            And, of course, there was that running inquiry on Meade's actions
            following Gettysburg.

            > Also, at Gettysburg, Meade had only been in command of the AotP for
            a few
            > days with no past record beyond Corps command while Grant had built
            up a
            > considerable body of work at the conclusion of Vicksburg.
            >
            > Tom

            ncid=AOLAOF00020000000982> .

          • Tom Mix
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 13 4:16 PM

              Yes, and in Lincoln’s eyes Lee “escaped” while Pimberton didn’t.