Re: William C. Anderson listed as Bloody Bill

  • hank9174
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 8, 2007
      Is there even any mention of 'Brown Co TX' in the idiot's guide?

      I suspect they've just cut and pasted the incorrect initial from
      Shelby Foote...

      HankC

      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "franbolton" <franbolton@...>
      wrote:

      > What source does the author cite for giving Bloody Bill's name as
      > William C Anderson of Brown Co TX? Sincerely, Fran Bolton
      > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Colin" <spx786@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Actually, the Complete Idiots guide is one of the most well
      respected
      > > and popular series of any books out there. If you don't believe me
      > then
      > > do your own homework.
      > >

      > > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Carl Williams" carlw4514@
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Huddleston"

      > > > I took it to mean *written* by an idiot [g]

    • Chuck Rabas
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 8, 2007

        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "hank9174" <clarkc@...> wrote:

        Is there even any mention of 'Brown Co TX' in the idiot's guide?   I suspect they've just cut and pasted the incorrect initial from Shelby Foote...
         HankC

        And Foote apparently c/p from Brownlee.

        Chuck

      • keeno2@aol.com
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 8, 2007
          Still haven't figured out why there is a controversy. Bloody Bill did not earn the attention he is getting. And I frankly don't care where he died--so long as he's dead. I'd prefer to believe that dogs ate him, but I guess there is no historical basis for that.

          ken

        • lags500
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 8, 2007
            I'm with you Ken. My great great great grandfather was one of the few survivors of the Baxter Springs massacre. He was in Co. I 3rd Wi Cav.   Larry
            Still haven't figured out why there is a controversy. Bloody Bill did not earn the attention he is getting. And I frankly don't care where he died--so long as he's dead. I'd prefer to believe that dogs ate him, but I guess there is no historical basis for that.

            ken

          • Tom Mix
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 8, 2007

              I find myself in agreement, Ken. Bloody Bill and his fools were little more than murderers and butchers of the first degree. They were not representative of the fighting men in uniform of the North and South.

              Tom

              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 8, 2007
                BUT, were they not part of the history of the Civil War? The beauty of
                these forums is that you can join in a discussion when the subject line
                is one that interests you, and skip those that don't. Sincerely, Fran
                Bolton

                > I find myself in agreement, Ken. Bloody Bill and his fools were little
                more
                > than murderers and butchers of the first degree. They were not
                > representative of the fighting men in uniform of the North and South.
                >
                > Tom

                Bill

                > Still haven't figured out why there is a controversy. Bloody Bill did
                not
                > earn the attention he is getting. And I frankly don't care where he
                died--so
                > long as he's dead. I'd prefer to believe that dogs ate him, but I
                guess
                > there is no historical basis for that.
                >

                > ken
                >

                > _____
                >
                > Get a sneak peek of the all-new AOL.com

                <http://discover.aol.com/memed/aolcom30tour/?ncid=AOLAOF00020000000982>
                .

              • Tom Mix
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 8, 2007

                  Sure, I have no problem with that. They are part of the history of the war, particularly in the Western sector. But they were still blood thirsty thugs, out of uniform for the most part and out of control for the whole part.

                  Tom