Re: William C. Anderson listed as Bloody Bill

  • franbolton
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 8, 2007
      What source does the author cite for giving Bloody Bill's name as
      William C Anderson of Brown Co TX? Sincerely, Fran Bolton
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Colin" <spx786@...> wrote:

      > Actually, the Complete Idiots guide is one of the most well respected
      > and popular series of any books out there. If you don't believe me
      then
      > do your own homework.
      >

      > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Carl Williams" carlw4514@
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Huddleston"
      > > <huddleston.r@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > You will note who the book is aimed at......
      > > >

      > > I took it to mean *written* by an idiot [g]

    • hank9174
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 8, 2007
        Is there even any mention of 'Brown Co TX' in the idiot's guide?

        I suspect they've just cut and pasted the incorrect initial from
        Shelby Foote...

        HankC

        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "franbolton" <franbolton@...>
        wrote:

        > What source does the author cite for giving Bloody Bill's name as
        > William C Anderson of Brown Co TX? Sincerely, Fran Bolton
        > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Colin" <spx786@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Actually, the Complete Idiots guide is one of the most well
        respected
        > > and popular series of any books out there. If you don't believe me
        > then
        > > do your own homework.
        > >

        > > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Carl Williams" carlw4514@
        > > wrote:
        > > >
        > > > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Huddleston"

        > > > I took it to mean *written* by an idiot [g]

      • Chuck Rabas
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 8, 2007

          --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "hank9174" <clarkc@...> wrote:

          Is there even any mention of 'Brown Co TX' in the idiot's guide?   I suspect they've just cut and pasted the incorrect initial from Shelby Foote...
           HankC

          And Foote apparently c/p from Brownlee.

          Chuck

        • keeno2@aol.com
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 8, 2007
            Still haven't figured out why there is a controversy. Bloody Bill did not earn the attention he is getting. And I frankly don't care where he died--so long as he's dead. I'd prefer to believe that dogs ate him, but I guess there is no historical basis for that.

            ken

          • lags500
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 8, 2007
              I'm with you Ken. My great great great grandfather was one of the few survivors of the Baxter Springs massacre. He was in Co. I 3rd Wi Cav.   Larry
              Still haven't figured out why there is a controversy. Bloody Bill did not earn the attention he is getting. And I frankly don't care where he died--so long as he's dead. I'd prefer to believe that dogs ate him, but I guess there is no historical basis for that.

              ken

            • Tom Mix
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 8, 2007

                I find myself in agreement, Ken. Bloody Bill and his fools were little more than murderers and butchers of the first degree. They were not representative of the fighting men in uniform of the North and South.

                Tom

                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 8, 2007
                  BUT, were they not part of the history of the Civil War? The beauty of
                  these forums is that you can join in a discussion when the subject line
                  is one that interests you, and skip those that don't. Sincerely, Fran
                  Bolton

                  > I find myself in agreement, Ken. Bloody Bill and his fools were little
                  more
                  > than murderers and butchers of the first degree. They were not
                  > representative of the fighting men in uniform of the North and South.
                  >
                  > Tom

                  Bill

                  > Still haven't figured out why there is a controversy. Bloody Bill did
                  not
                  > earn the attention he is getting. And I frankly don't care where he
                  died--so
                  > long as he's dead. I'd prefer to believe that dogs ate him, but I
                  guess
                  > there is no historical basis for that.
                  >

                  > ken
                  >

                  > _____
                  >
                  > Get a sneak peek of the all-new AOL.com

                  <http://discover.aol.com/memed/aolcom30tour/?ncid=AOLAOF00020000000982>
                  .

                • Tom Mix
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 8, 2007

                    Sure, I have no problem with that. They are part of the history of the war, particularly in the Western sector. But they were still blood thirsty thugs, out of uniform for the most part and out of control for the whole part.

                    Tom