RE: [civilwarwest] Re: William C. Anderson listed as Bloody Bill

  • Tom Mix
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 8 10:26 AM

      It is a good series but I don’t think Bob meant in a demeaning manner. At least I took it as to be humorous. I one or two of those books. But the hockey one really was for “dummies”, in my opinion. They are pretty remedial in general but some, like the one on Pirates, are very informative and a fun read.

      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 8 11:29 AM
        What source does the author cite for giving Bloody Bill's name as
        William C Anderson of Brown Co TX? Sincerely, Fran Bolton
        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Colin" <spx786@...> wrote:

        > Actually, the Complete Idiots guide is one of the most well respected
        > and popular series of any books out there. If you don't believe me
        then
        > do your own homework.
        >

        > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Carl Williams" carlw4514@
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Huddleston"
        > > <huddleston.r@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > You will note who the book is aimed at......
        > > >

        > > I took it to mean *written* by an idiot [g]

      • hank9174
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 8 12:05 PM
          Is there even any mention of 'Brown Co TX' in the idiot's guide?

          I suspect they've just cut and pasted the incorrect initial from
          Shelby Foote...

          HankC

          --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "franbolton" <franbolton@...>
          wrote:

          > What source does the author cite for giving Bloody Bill's name as
          > William C Anderson of Brown Co TX? Sincerely, Fran Bolton
          > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Colin" <spx786@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Actually, the Complete Idiots guide is one of the most well
          respected
          > > and popular series of any books out there. If you don't believe me
          > then
          > > do your own homework.
          > >

          > > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Carl Williams" carlw4514@
          > > wrote:
          > > >
          > > > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Huddleston"

          > > > I took it to mean *written* by an idiot [g]

        • Chuck Rabas
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 8 1:19 PM

            --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "hank9174" <clarkc@...> wrote:

            Is there even any mention of 'Brown Co TX' in the idiot's guide?   I suspect they've just cut and pasted the incorrect initial from Shelby Foote...
             HankC

            And Foote apparently c/p from Brownlee.

            Chuck

          • keeno2@aol.com
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 8 3:56 PM
              Still haven't figured out why there is a controversy. Bloody Bill did not earn the attention he is getting. And I frankly don't care where he died--so long as he's dead. I'd prefer to believe that dogs ate him, but I guess there is no historical basis for that.

              ken

            • lags500
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 8 4:16 PM
                I'm with you Ken. My great great great grandfather was one of the few survivors of the Baxter Springs massacre. He was in Co. I 3rd Wi Cav.   Larry

                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 8 4:47 PM

                  I find myself in agreement, Ken. Bloody Bill and his fools were little more than murderers and butchers of the first degree. They were not representative of the fighting men in uniform of the North and South.

                  Tom

                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 8 5:05 PM
                    BUT, were they not part of the history of the Civil War? The beauty of
                    these forums is that you can join in a discussion when the subject line
                    is one that interests you, and skip those that don't. Sincerely, Fran
                    Bolton

                    > I find myself in agreement, Ken. Bloody Bill and his fools were little
                    more
                    > than murderers and butchers of the first degree. They were not
                    > representative of the fighting men in uniform of the North and South.
                    >
                    > Tom

                    Bill

                    > Still haven't figured out why there is a controversy. Bloody Bill did
                    not
                    > earn the attention he is getting. And I frankly don't care where he
                    died--so
                    > long as he's dead. I'd prefer to believe that dogs ate him, but I
                    guess
                    > there is no historical basis for that.
                    >

                    > ken
                    >

                    > _____
                    >
                    > Get a sneak peek of the all-new AOL.com

                    <http://discover.aol.com/memed/aolcom30tour/?ncid=AOLAOF00020000000982>
                    .

                  • Tom Mix
                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 8 5:24 PM

                      Sure, I have no problem with that. They are part of the history of the war, particularly in the Western sector. But they were still blood thirsty thugs, out of uniform for the most part and out of control for the whole part.

                      Tom