Re: William C. Anderson listed as Bloody Bill

  • Carl Williams
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 8, 2007
      nothing personal intended, sorry for any offense in an attempt at humor.

      But I would think there would be a limit to the amount of respect a
      series named like that could get?

      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Colin" <spx786@...> wrote:

      > Actually, the Complete Idiots guide is one of the most well respected
      > and popular series of any books out there. If you don't believe me then
      > do your own homework.
      >

      > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Carl Williams" <carlw4514@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Huddleston"
      > > <huddleston.r@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > You will note who the book is aimed at......
      > > >

      > > I took it to mean *written* by an idiot [g]

    • Tom Mix
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 8, 2007

        It is a good series but I don’t think Bob meant in a demeaning manner. At least I took it as to be humorous. I one or two of those books. But the hockey one really was for “dummies”, in my opinion. They are pretty remedial in general but some, like the one on Pirates, are very informative and a fun read.

        wrote:

        > --- In civilwarwest@ yahoogroups. com,
        "Bob Huddleston"
        > <huddleston. r@> wrote:
        > >
        > > You will note who the book is aimed at......
        > >

        > I took it to mean *written* by an idiot [g]

      • franbolton
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 8, 2007
          What source does the author cite for giving Bloody Bill's name as
          William C Anderson of Brown Co TX? Sincerely, Fran Bolton
          --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Colin" <spx786@...> wrote:

          > Actually, the Complete Idiots guide is one of the most well respected
          > and popular series of any books out there. If you don't believe me
          then
          > do your own homework.
          >

          > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Carl Williams" carlw4514@
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Huddleston"
          > > <huddleston.r@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > You will note who the book is aimed at......
          > > >

          > > I took it to mean *written* by an idiot [g]

        • hank9174
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 8, 2007
            Is there even any mention of 'Brown Co TX' in the idiot's guide?

            I suspect they've just cut and pasted the incorrect initial from
            Shelby Foote...

            HankC

            --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "franbolton" <franbolton@...>
            wrote:

            > What source does the author cite for giving Bloody Bill's name as
            > William C Anderson of Brown Co TX? Sincerely, Fran Bolton
            > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Colin" <spx786@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Actually, the Complete Idiots guide is one of the most well
            respected
            > > and popular series of any books out there. If you don't believe me
            > then
            > > do your own homework.
            > >

            > > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Carl Williams" carlw4514@
            > > wrote:
            > > >
            > > > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Huddleston"

            > > > I took it to mean *written* by an idiot [g]

          • Chuck Rabas
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 8, 2007

              --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "hank9174" <clarkc@...> wrote:

              Is there even any mention of 'Brown Co TX' in the idiot's guide?   I suspect they've just cut and pasted the incorrect initial from Shelby Foote...
               HankC

              And Foote apparently c/p from Brownlee.

              Chuck

            • keeno2@aol.com
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 8, 2007
                Still haven't figured out why there is a controversy. Bloody Bill did not earn the attention he is getting. And I frankly don't care where he died--so long as he's dead. I'd prefer to believe that dogs ate him, but I guess there is no historical basis for that.

                ken

              • lags500
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 8, 2007
                  I'm with you Ken. My great great great grandfather was one of the few survivors of the Baxter Springs massacre. He was in Co. I 3rd Wi Cav.   Larry

                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 8, 2007

                    I find myself in agreement, Ken. Bloody Bill and his fools were little more than murderers and butchers of the first degree. They were not representative of the fighting men in uniform of the North and South.

                    Tom

                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 8, 2007
                      BUT, were they not part of the history of the Civil War? The beauty of
                      these forums is that you can join in a discussion when the subject line
                      is one that interests you, and skip those that don't. Sincerely, Fran
                      Bolton

                      > I find myself in agreement, Ken. Bloody Bill and his fools were little
                      more
                      > than murderers and butchers of the first degree. They were not
                      > representative of the fighting men in uniform of the North and South.
                      >
                      > Tom

                      Bill

                      > Still haven't figured out why there is a controversy. Bloody Bill did
                      not
                      > earn the attention he is getting. And I frankly don't care where he
                      died--so
                      > long as he's dead. I'd prefer to believe that dogs ate him, but I
                      guess
                      > there is no historical basis for that.
                      >

                      > ken
                      >

                      > _____
                      >
                      > Get a sneak peek of the all-new AOL.com

                      <http://discover.aol.com/memed/aolcom30tour/?ncid=AOLAOF00020000000982>
                      .

                    • Tom Mix
                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 8, 2007

                        Sure, I have no problem with that. They are part of the history of the war, particularly in the Western sector. But they were still blood thirsty thugs, out of uniform for the most part and out of control for the whole part.

                        Tom