Re: William C. Anderson listed as Bloody Bill

  • franbolton
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 7, 2007
      I neglected to include census records in the list of documents used to
      prove Bloody bill and William C Anderson of Brownwood TX were not the
      same person. The census were VERY instrumental in proving they had two
      seperate families, in different places , at the same time. Sincerely,
      Fran Bolton
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "franbolton" <franbolton@...>
      wrote:

      > There are NUMEROUS books that repeat information they have gained
      > elsewhere, without doing their own research into what is true, and
      what
      > is simple re-printed. There are certain members here, and on other
      > boards, myself included, that have researched Bloody Bill's family
      > history, and William C Anderson of Brownwood's family history, and
      have
      > learned they are not the same person. These members do not write
      books,
      > but have other interests in researching and learning, and are willing
      > share what they have learned with those who lag behind in their own
      > research, and who haven't uncovered the many records and documents,
      such
      > as marriage records, death records, tax records, military records,
      etc,
      > proving they were two seperate men.
      >
      > Sincerely, Fran Bolton
      > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Colin" spx786@ wrote:
      > >
      > > I wanted to point out to certain members here that apparently the
      > > complete Idiots Guide to the Civil War lists William C. Anderson as
      > > Bloody Bill. This is interesting because the Complete Idiots guide
      is
      > > well respected source of information and is pretty much available at
      > > any bookstore or library. It's interesting how they would say
      William
      > > C. Anderson instead of the alleged William T. Anderson!
      > >
      > > Just another wonderful discovery about the history of Brown County
      > > Bloody Bill!

    • Bob Huddleston
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 7, 2007
        You will note who the book is aimed at......

        Take care,

        Bob

        Judy and Bob Huddleston
        10643 Sperry Street
        Northglenn, CO  80234-3612
        303.451.6376  Huddleston.r@...

        "The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane."
        ---Mark Twain, 1907

        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 7, 2007
          --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Huddleston"
          <huddleston.r@...> wrote:

          > You will note who the book is aimed at......

          I took it to mean *written* by an idiot [g]
        • Colin
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 8, 2007
            Actually, the Complete Idiots guide is one of the most well respected
            and popular series of any books out there. If you don't believe me then
            do your own homework.

            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 8, 2007
              nothing personal intended, sorry for any offense in an attempt at humor.

              But I would think there would be a limit to the amount of respect a
              series named like that could get?

              --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Colin" <spx786@...> wrote:

              > Actually, the Complete Idiots guide is one of the most well respected
              > and popular series of any books out there. If you don't believe me then
              > do your own homework.
              >

              > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Carl Williams" <carlw4514@>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Huddleston"
              > > <huddleston.r@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > You will note who the book is aimed at......
              > > >

              > > I took it to mean *written* by an idiot [g]

            • Tom Mix
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 8, 2007

                It is a good series but I don’t think Bob meant in a demeaning manner. At least I took it as to be humorous. I one or two of those books. But the hockey one really was for “dummies”, in my opinion. They are pretty remedial in general but some, like the one on Pirates, are very informative and a fun read.

                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 8, 2007
                  What source does the author cite for giving Bloody Bill's name as
                  William C Anderson of Brown Co TX? Sincerely, Fran Bolton
                  --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Colin" <spx786@...> wrote:

                  > Actually, the Complete Idiots guide is one of the most well respected
                  > and popular series of any books out there. If you don't believe me
                  then
                  > do your own homework.
                  >

                  > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Carl Williams" carlw4514@
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Huddleston"
                  > > <huddleston.r@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > You will note who the book is aimed at......
                  > > >

                  > > I took it to mean *written* by an idiot [g]

                • hank9174
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 8, 2007
                    Is there even any mention of 'Brown Co TX' in the idiot's guide?

                    I suspect they've just cut and pasted the incorrect initial from
                    Shelby Foote...

                    HankC

                    wrote:

                    > What source does the author cite for giving Bloody Bill's name as
                    > William C Anderson of Brown Co TX? Sincerely, Fran Bolton
                    > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Colin" <spx786@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Actually, the Complete Idiots guide is one of the most well
                    respected
                    > > and popular series of any books out there. If you don't believe me
                    > then
                    > > do your own homework.
                    > >

                    > > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Carl Williams" carlw4514@
                    > > wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Huddleston"

                    > > > I took it to mean *written* by an idiot [g]

                  • Chuck Rabas
                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 8, 2007

                      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "hank9174" <clarkc@...> wrote:

                      Is there even any mention of 'Brown Co TX' in the idiot's guide?   I suspect they've just cut and pasted the incorrect initial from Shelby Foote...
                       HankC

                      And Foote apparently c/p from Brownlee.

                      Chuck

                    • keeno2@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 8, 2007
                        Still haven't figured out why there is a controversy. Bloody Bill did not earn the attention he is getting. And I frankly don't care where he died--so long as he's dead. I'd prefer to believe that dogs ate him, but I guess there is no historical basis for that.

                        ken

                      • lags500
                        Message 11 of 17 , Aug 8, 2007
                          I'm with you Ken. My great great great grandfather was one of the few survivors of the Baxter Springs massacre. He was in Co. I 3rd Wi Cav.   Larry

                          Message 12 of 17 , Aug 8, 2007

                            I find myself in agreement, Ken. Bloody Bill and his fools were little more than murderers and butchers of the first degree. They were not representative of the fighting men in uniform of the North and South.

                            Tom

                            Message 13 of 17 , Aug 8, 2007
                              BUT, were they not part of the history of the Civil War? The beauty of
                              these forums is that you can join in a discussion when the subject line
                              is one that interests you, and skip those that don't. Sincerely, Fran
                              Bolton

                              > I find myself in agreement, Ken. Bloody Bill and his fools were little
                              more
                              > than murderers and butchers of the first degree. They were not
                              > representative of the fighting men in uniform of the North and South.
                              >
                              > Tom

                              Bill

                              > Still haven't figured out why there is a controversy. Bloody Bill did
                              not
                              > earn the attention he is getting. And I frankly don't care where he
                              died--so
                              > long as he's dead. I'd prefer to believe that dogs ate him, but I
                              guess
                              > there is no historical basis for that.
                              >

                              > ken
                              >

                              > _____
                              >
                              > Get a sneak peek of the all-new AOL.com

                              <http://discover.aol.com/memed/aolcom30tour/?ncid=AOLAOF00020000000982>
                              .

                            • Tom Mix
                              Message 14 of 17 , Aug 8, 2007

                                Sure, I have no problem with that. They are part of the history of the war, particularly in the Western sector. But they were still blood thirsty thugs, out of uniform for the most part and out of control for the whole part.

                                Tom