William C. Anderson listed as Bloody Bill

  • Colin
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 7, 2007
      I wanted to point out to certain members here that apparently the
      complete Idiots Guide to the Civil War lists William C. Anderson as
      Bloody Bill. This is interesting because the Complete Idiots guide is a
      well respected source of information and is pretty much available at
      any bookstore or library. It's interesting how they would say William
      C. Anderson instead of the alleged William T. Anderson!

      Just another wonderful discovery about the history of Brown County
      Bloody Bill!
    • hank9174
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 7, 2007
        and people also read the National Inquirer...

        HankC

        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Colin" <spx786@...> wrote:

        > I wanted to point out to certain members here that apparently the
        > complete Idiots Guide to the Civil War lists William C. Anderson as
        > Bloody Bill. This is interesting because the Complete Idiots guide is
        > well respected source of information and is pretty much available at
        > any bookstore or library. It's interesting how they would say William
        > C. Anderson instead of the alleged William T. Anderson!
        >
        > Just another wonderful discovery about the history of Brown County
        > Bloody Bill!

      • franbolton
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 7, 2007
          There are NUMEROUS books that repeat information they have gained
          elsewhere, without doing their own research into what is true, and what
          is simple re-printed. There are certain members here, and on other
          boards, myself included, that have researched Bloody Bill's family
          history, and William C Anderson of Brownwood's family history, and have
          learned they are not the same person. These members do not write books,
          but have other interests in researching and learning, and are willing to
          share what they have learned with those who lag behind in their own
          research, and who haven't uncovered the many records and documents, such
          as marriage records, death records, tax records, military records, etc,
          proving they were two seperate men.

          Sincerely, Fran Bolton
          --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Colin" <spx786@...> wrote:

          > I wanted to point out to certain members here that apparently the
          > complete Idiots Guide to the Civil War lists William C. Anderson as
          > Bloody Bill. This is interesting because the Complete Idiots guide is
          > well respected source of information and is pretty much available at
          > any bookstore or library. It's interesting how they would say William
          > C. Anderson instead of the alleged William T. Anderson!
          >
          > Just another wonderful discovery about the history of Brown County
          > Bloody Bill!

        • franbolton
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 7, 2007
            I neglected to include census records in the list of documents used to
            prove Bloody bill and William C Anderson of Brownwood TX were not the
            same person. The census were VERY instrumental in proving they had two
            seperate families, in different places , at the same time. Sincerely,
            Fran Bolton
            --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "franbolton" <franbolton@...>
            wrote:

            > There are NUMEROUS books that repeat information they have gained
            > elsewhere, without doing their own research into what is true, and
            what
            > is simple re-printed. There are certain members here, and on other
            > boards, myself included, that have researched Bloody Bill's family
            > history, and William C Anderson of Brownwood's family history, and
            have
            > learned they are not the same person. These members do not write
            books,
            > but have other interests in researching and learning, and are willing
            > share what they have learned with those who lag behind in their own
            > research, and who haven't uncovered the many records and documents,
            such
            > as marriage records, death records, tax records, military records,
            etc,
            > proving they were two seperate men.
            >
            > Sincerely, Fran Bolton
            > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Colin" spx786@ wrote:
            > >
            > > I wanted to point out to certain members here that apparently the
            > > complete Idiots Guide to the Civil War lists William C. Anderson as
            > > Bloody Bill. This is interesting because the Complete Idiots guide
            is
            > > well respected source of information and is pretty much available at
            > > any bookstore or library. It's interesting how they would say
            William
            > > C. Anderson instead of the alleged William T. Anderson!
            > >
            > > Just another wonderful discovery about the history of Brown County
            > > Bloody Bill!

          • Bob Huddleston
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 7, 2007
              You will note who the book is aimed at......

              Take care,

              Bob

              Judy and Bob Huddleston
              10643 Sperry Street
              Northglenn, CO  80234-3612
              303.451.6376  Huddleston.r@...

              "The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane."
              ---Mark Twain, 1907

              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 7, 2007
                --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Huddleston"
                <huddleston.r@...> wrote:

                > You will note who the book is aimed at......

                I took it to mean *written* by an idiot [g]
              • Colin
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 8, 2007
                  Actually, the Complete Idiots guide is one of the most well respected
                  and popular series of any books out there. If you don't believe me then
                  do your own homework.

                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 8, 2007
                    nothing personal intended, sorry for any offense in an attempt at humor.

                    But I would think there would be a limit to the amount of respect a
                    series named like that could get?

                    --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Colin" <spx786@...> wrote:

                    > Actually, the Complete Idiots guide is one of the most well respected
                    > and popular series of any books out there. If you don't believe me then
                    > do your own homework.
                    >

                    > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Carl Williams" <carlw4514@>
                    > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Huddleston"
                    > > <huddleston.r@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > You will note who the book is aimed at......
                    > > >

                    > > I took it to mean *written* by an idiot [g]

                  • Tom Mix
                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 8, 2007

                      It is a good series but I don’t think Bob meant in a demeaning manner. At least I took it as to be humorous. I one or two of those books. But the hockey one really was for “dummies”, in my opinion. They are pretty remedial in general but some, like the one on Pirates, are very informative and a fun read.

                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 8, 2007
                        What source does the author cite for giving Bloody Bill's name as
                        William C Anderson of Brown Co TX? Sincerely, Fran Bolton

                        Message 11 of 17 , Aug 8, 2007
                          Is there even any mention of 'Brown Co TX' in the idiot's guide?

                          I suspect they've just cut and pasted the incorrect initial from
                          Shelby Foote...

                          HankC

                          wrote:

                          > What source does the author cite for giving Bloody Bill's name as
                          > William C Anderson of Brown Co TX? Sincerely, Fran Bolton
                          > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Colin" <spx786@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Actually, the Complete Idiots guide is one of the most well
                          respected
                          > > and popular series of any books out there. If you don't believe me
                          > then
                          > > do your own homework.
                          > >

                          > > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Carl Williams" carlw4514@
                          > > wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Huddleston"

                          > > > I took it to mean *written* by an idiot [g]

                        • Chuck Rabas
                          Message 12 of 17 , Aug 8, 2007

                            --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "hank9174" <clarkc@...> wrote:

                            Is there even any mention of 'Brown Co TX' in the idiot's guide?   I suspect they've just cut and pasted the incorrect initial from Shelby Foote...
                             HankC

                            And Foote apparently c/p from Brownlee.

                            Chuck

                          • keeno2@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 17 , Aug 8, 2007
                              Still haven't figured out why there is a controversy. Bloody Bill did not earn the attention he is getting. And I frankly don't care where he died--so long as he's dead. I'd prefer to believe that dogs ate him, but I guess there is no historical basis for that.

                              ken

                            • lags500
                              Message 14 of 17 , Aug 8, 2007
                                I'm with you Ken. My great great great grandfather was one of the few survivors of the Baxter Springs massacre. He was in Co. I 3rd Wi Cav.   Larry

                                Message 15 of 17 , Aug 8, 2007

                                  I find myself in agreement, Ken. Bloody Bill and his fools were little more than murderers and butchers of the first degree. They were not representative of the fighting men in uniform of the North and South.

                                  Tom

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Aug 8, 2007
                                    BUT, were they not part of the history of the Civil War? The beauty of
                                    these forums is that you can join in a discussion when the subject line
                                    is one that interests you, and skip those that don't. Sincerely, Fran
                                    Bolton

                                    > I find myself in agreement, Ken. Bloody Bill and his fools were little
                                    more
                                    > than murderers and butchers of the first degree. They were not
                                    > representative of the fighting men in uniform of the North and South.
                                    >
                                    > Tom

                                    Bill

                                    > Still haven't figured out why there is a controversy. Bloody Bill did
                                    not
                                    > earn the attention he is getting. And I frankly don't care where he
                                    died--so
                                    > long as he's dead. I'd prefer to believe that dogs ate him, but I
                                    guess
                                    > there is no historical basis for that.
                                    >

                                    > ken
                                    >

                                    > _____
                                    >
                                    > Get a sneak peek of the all-new AOL.com

                                    <http://discover.aol.com/memed/aolcom30tour/?ncid=AOLAOF00020000000982>
                                    .

                                  • Tom Mix
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Aug 8, 2007

                                      Sure, I have no problem with that. They are part of the history of the war, particularly in the Western sector. But they were still blood thirsty thugs, out of uniform for the most part and out of control for the whole part.

                                      Tom