Re: Triumph & Defeat the Vicksburg Campaign

  • Carl Williams
    Message 1 of 35 , Aug 2, 2007
      > It was rammed on 10 May 1862 near Ft. Pillow & sank in shallow
      water. Later
      > she was sunk by enemy shore batteries, during the Vicksburg
      Campaign, on 27
      > May 1863.
      >
      > Respectfully,
      >
      > Mike Peters
      > npeters102@...

      and rose again ... a CAIRO class ironclad, too.

      http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/sh-usn/usnsh-c/cincnti.htm
      USS Cincinnati, a 512-ton Cairo class ironclad river gunboat, was
      built at Mound City, Illinois, for the U.S. Army's Western Gunboat
      Flotilla. Commissioned in January 1862, early in the following month
      she took part in the capture of Fort Henry, Tennessee. During March
      and April 1862, Cincinnati participated in the successful seige of the
      fortress at Island Number Ten. On 10 May, in an action near Fort
      Pillow, she was rammed by ships of the Confederate River Defense Fleet
      and sank in shallow water.
      Raised and repaired, Cincinnati was transferred to the Navy in October
      1862 and engaged in operations on the Yazoo River during the latter
      part of that year. In January 1863, she took part in the White River
      campaign, including the capture of Fort Hindman, Arkansas. Further
      activities on the Yazoo were followed by combat at Vickburg, where she
      was heavily hit by enemy shore batteries and sunk on 27 May 1863.
      Cincinnati was again raised, repaired and returned to service,
      spending most of the rest of the Civil War patrolling on the
      Mississippi and nearby rivers. In February 1865, she was sent to
      operate in the Mississippi Sound and Mobile Bay areas. USS Cincinnati
      was decommissioned in August 1865. Sold in March 1866, she sank later
      in that year.

      http://www.multied.com/navy/cwnavalhistory/May1863.html
      27 U.S.S. Cincinnati, Lieutenant Bache, ". . . in accordance with
      Generals Grant's and Sherman's urgent request," moved to enfilade some
      rifle pits which had barred the Army's progress before Vicksburg.
      Though Porter took great precautions for the ship's safety by packing
      her with logs and hay, a shot entered Cincinnati's magazine, "and she
      commenced filling rapidly." Bache reported: ''Before and after this
      time the enemy fired with great accuracy, hitting us almost every
      time. We were especially annoyed by plunging shots from the hills, an
      8-inch rifle and a 10-inch smoothbore doing us much damage. The shot
      went entirely through our protection-hay, wood, and iron." Cincinnati,
      suffering 25 killed or wounded and 15 probable drownings, went down
      with her colors nailed to the mast. General Sherman wrote: "The style
      in which the Cincinnati engaged the battery elicited universal
      praise.'' And Secretary Welles expressed the Department's appreciation
      of your brave conduct."
    • Tom Mix
      Message 35 of 35 , Aug 19, 2007

        Pat,

        No problem. I just thought it interesting how it all works, or doesn’t work.

        Now get that groom married off.

        Tom